Heater While Away

Dunce

I may be full timing in a couple weeks and now that we have gotten extreme heat out of the way (thank you fall), I have to start worrying about the winter's cold. Normally this wouldn't be an issue because my propane heater works great. I will also have full hookups so if I ran out of propane in the middle of the night or something I can keep a small electric heater to keep the place warm 'til morning. But here is the issue: How do I keep the place warm, safely, while I'm away? I'm not worried about tanks freezing or anything like that, but the dog is not the best at cold weather. Most of the time she will be fine with just getting under the blanket and waiting til I get back, but a couple days a year it gets actually cold in North Texas (Low teens, high 30s) and the blanket will not be enough.

If you've got AC power - seems a 1500 watt electric heater with a thermostat is pretty safe and reliable. Most are set up so if knocked over - they turn off. I know I'd to put it up high with my dog or she'd lay right against it.

Something like this seems like it would work in that case, and it looks pretty well contained and not "dinky" which is what I was really afraid of.

http://www.amazon.com/Broan-6201-Broan-NuTone-Heat-Heater/dp/B00B1SNMYG

What are your thoughts on radiator style heaters? Any safer?

A dog will be able to provide its own heat if you build it an insulated bed box. It can be collapsible to keep it out of the way when not needed. It is very simple to construct, the secret is to line all the inside surfaces with the Reflectix insulation. I did this to my cat's crate and they love it. You can also purchase an electric heating pad to put inside their bed from most any of the large pet supply stores or get one from online. It probably won't be needed but it will keep it warm when they are not inside which will induce them to go in it. I never met a dog or cat that was not a natural heat seeker in cold weather.

I have a Great Dane he does not have much in the way of fur and the dang thing sits out on the deck when it's 10* outside! I think a cheap electric heater will be fine I heat my camper with a 1000 watt ceramic fan forced one down to the 20's

The heater from Amazon is 1500 watts and costs $52 plus shipping unless you have Amazon Prime for free shipping. A milk house heater from Walmart will run you about $19 and also puts out 1000 or 1500 watts with free ship to store. They both have force air, tip over protection and thermostats. I know that the Braun company puts out pretty good product but I have had one of the Walmart heaters for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it.

I like the idea of the insulated box.

Space heaters just scare me so much to leave on. I used one in college (only a couple years ago) that I tested by tipping it over and blowing directly at the carpet. It started to smolder before I pulled the plug.

The heaters that are "Amish made" have a cabinet that is made by the Amish but the electronics are the same as the heaters that you can buy at Home depot for half the money. They all put out the same amount of heat. There is no magic heater that can put out more than 1500 watts at 110 volts.

The heaters that are "Amish made" have a cabinet that is made by the Amish but the electronics are the same as the heaters that you can buy at Home depot for half the money. They all put out the same amount of heat. There is no magic heater that can put out more than 1500 watts at 110 volts.

My daughter fell for one of those "Amish made" ads and bought an electric heater with and oak frame. Ends up - it was Chinese oak and the frame was made in China. So I guess there are Amish in China too??? When I moved out of central NY last year - there was all sorts of Amish stuff for sale and very little of it had anything to do with genuine Amish craftsmen. But yeah - regardless - a 1500 watt heater is a 1500 watt heater. Only real difference is one might have heat-ballast (like being oil filled) and cycle on and off less. Power usage compared to another 1500 watt unit will be just the same. On that subject - we just had an Amish family move in to the farm next to us. The preschool kids speak English and they have a tractor with rubber tires. Big difference from my Amish neighbors in NY. There - no rubber tires allowed on anything and kids learned German first and many did not learn English until 8-9 years old.

I had a hard plastic heating pad with fleece like cover made for dogs. My dog had to winter outside in an insulated dog house in rainy Seattle. The lowest it got that year was in the high 30s f / 3.3 c. I checked on her from time to time and always found her stretched out on her side snoring away, never curled up in a ball shivering. Low, safe power consumption.

The selling point for the unit I bought was it was the optimal temperature for dogs; No risk of burning. Very rugged construction. As for the Amish electric heater, you can stay toasty and warm while eating a bowl of Quaker Oats!

• 4 months later...

this topic is rather 'stale'-----time wise--------------but here is my $.02......................... Amazon has Cozy Products FW Heated Foot Warmer $25.99....draws 90 watts, i've used it for my kitties, in the garage during 0 degree weather. put a rug over it and low power consumption, warm animal! or human feet.

Cozy Products FW Foot Warmer Heated Foot Warming Mat Rubber Design

Cozy Products FW Foot Warmer Heated Foot Warming Mat Rubber Design

List Price: $55.99
Price:

$25.99 

• Heavy-duty rubber mat draws just 90 watts
  • Gently warms feet using both radiant and direct heat
  • Operational temperature of 130°F
  • Perfect for adding heat under desks and at standing work stations
  • Not for use on wood, carpet, or other delicate surfaces

PLUS 

using it on commercial carpet in an office environment WITHOUT ANY adverse consequences. the municipal fire marshal approved this method.

again, just my $.02  RED

Watch out for the power cord. The pad I have has a coiled flexible metal sheath over the cord to reduce the chance of an animal chewing through to live wires. VERY important!