A Brand New Toyota Rv Owner And I'm So Ignorant

lterry

But I'm not quite as ignorant as the guy I bought it from. For instance, he didn't know there was a propane tank under the coach driver's side (that is a propane tank, right?) So he'd been taking cold showers...I'm assuming the water heater runs off of propane.

However, he says he has heat. I don't know a lot about motorhomes, but aren't heaters/furnaces run from gas?

Also, he didn't know which Toyota motorhome it is; therefore, I don't either. Once I've made up my mind that it's a Dolphin, I change it again and call my Toy a Huntsman. It's really hard to tell and the title doesn't provide any insight either.

I don't have pictures yet but here are some on the Craigslist listing http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/5267589572.html

Another thing, it felt like the floor might be rotting since as I walked it felt uneven; however, I'm thinking now that it could be piping and hoses that are making the floor uneven. Am I right? Someone removed the carpet and replaced it with linoleum.

Edited by lterry

the water heaters are propane all of the older ones are pilot light type they must be lit . once lit they are automatic, yes heater are gas but they require 12 volt power to run the fan some but not all have to be lit pilot. some are auto ignition.cookstove burners and oven must be hand lit. you find a wealth of healp on here . an. d yes rv rot can be a big thing but you will have to check it out . have you looked at it the most mager safty thing I found this out on here what type of rear axle does this have. did you buy this already. does it have a six lug rear axle. if not I recomend you don't buy it .if you have not payed for it yet remove rear hub cap if only 5 lug axle would need to be replaced . read axle info on here need full floating one ton axle. 5 lug axles brake off bad crash info. under the couch might be a water tank. but there should be a propane tank somwhere

Thank you for responding, Ya Baby.

It's a done deal, but I knew about the axle beforehand.

There are five lugs. I know I'll have to get the axle replaced. I'm paid $2,000 instead of the asking price so I don't feel like I paid more than it's worth... or have I?

Edited by lterry

at that price if it run s ok and I am glad you knew about the axle. the 22 r stick is a good setup . is there any id name on the outside .if dolphion national rv archive is another site to look at. do things in side work ok

Ya Baby! It runs very well. Luckily I can drive a stick. I think I might be wrong about the length though. This Huntsman layout is exactly like mine and it is 21 ft.

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Sunny-Island-RV-Sales-%26-Service-2760036/listing/1985-Other-Toyota-HUNTSMAN-21-115695252

No, there are no identifying insignias or anything that I can find - it isn't the original paint job.

As far as the appliances. The original fridge is gone, a house-hold mini fridge is in it's place. There is no stove and I don't even see a place where one was once at. Have they always included stoves? The dinette is gone also. In it's place is a handmade futon type thing which I will remove. I'd like to put a fold-down couch with seatbelts, but I'm unsure how to go about that. Find one online I guess? But how do I go about fastening it (the couch and seatbelt) to the van?

yes 3 burner with oven seat belt must be bolted thru the floor all the way thru and I would use some heavy washers. top and bottem. when wheather is good I do my cooking outside anyway I carry a 2 burner colman stove and a small propane grill. the org frige can run on gas lot of money to buy new tho. I should of said some only had a cooktop no oven. the one in the the little door down by rear entry door could be the propane tank

A stove/oven should be easy to find I have given 2 of them away after remodeling (I have no use for an oven). Yes heater, water heater stove and fridge all run on propane. I would have someone have a look at the propane lines etc. due to the fact there are a lot of things that should be capped off and properly sealed. A jack knife couch is another thing you should be able to find used lots of people remove them when they remodel they are wicked heavy and not real comfortable. Most of the appliances are common to RV’s both in MH’s and campers. I would never give up my gas fridge but as long as you have power a dorm fridge will suit your needs. Seat belts in the back of the campers leave a lot to be desired they are not real strongly bolted down so if it's some thing you want to add make sure who ever does the install knows what they are doing.

Thank you for responding, Ya Baby.

It's a done deal, but I knew about the axle beforehand.

There are five lugs. I know I'll have to get the axle replaced. I paid $2,000 instead of the asking price so I don't feel like I paid more than it's worth... or did I?

I guess it depends on the condition of the rig. $2000 sounds high to me considering what you have described. I've passed up a lot of Toyota RVs for less then $1000 that ran OK but were rotted and/or stripped and/or had the 5 lug rear axle. I paid $1800 for my 1988 "full size" Minicruiser. Came with a working three-way refrigerator, hot-water heater, and had a full-floating dually rear with matching front wheels and no rust. I had to fix the furnace with a new control board for $85. Also had to put 6 new tires on it for $500. Last winter I bought a 1984 Nissan Minicruiser with the full-floating dually 6 lug rear, no rust, 80K original miles, and everything worked except the refrig (changed to a cheap AC unit). I paid $1200 for that. There is a 1984 Dolphin down the road from me that has been for sale now for two years. Asking price of $1200. Built on a Chevy S10 chassis with a 2.8 V6 and lock-up/OD automatic trans. "Fake" dually GM rear of some sort that the owner says is "heavy duty." I certainly is not. It runs good and looks pretty good and I bet he'd sell it for $900.

Note - you can get by with the AC refrigerator if you install two "house" batteries and a DC to AC inverter and don't camp more then one night at a time. I'm talking about areas with no AC power available. There are pros and cons to electric-compressor refrigerators. Nice thing is - then work fine on uneven ground and also mean no vents needed in the wall that let weather and bugs in. AC refrigerator will work fine when driving when hooked to a 1200 watt inverter.

Hi Iterry,Welcome from another newbie, I bought my 1990 Toyota V6 3.0 Winnebago in June this year. I also knew nothing. I found a RV Repair person on Craigs list to come out and go through all the appliances in the coach. It cost $50.00 but he showed me everything and inspected what he could and had lots of info. Nothing beats a hands on lesson for lighting propane water heaters etc.

Maineah, sherrie, jdemaris,

I just now figured out that not everyone on here is Ya Baby! LOL, Sorry 5Toyota.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, opinions, and advice. I have definitely adopted a project, and can use any help available.

Another thing the guy didn't know is that the "extra" battery under the hood is actually the coach battery. I don't know if it works or not - I'm assuming not.

I wonder why the jack-knife sofas are so heavy. I might end up putting my Japanese style futon instead since it's light and I already know my daughter sleeps on it fine. I might forgo a stove also or just get a propane fed camper stove for the rare instance that I'd like to use an actual stovetop as well as a toaster oven. I plan on getting a generator which could run the toaster oven. A 700 watt microwave could run off of a generator as well as long as I turn everything else down or off for the duration. I just can't see the advantage of buying a stovetop and oven and taking up counter space right now. Is there a reason that I'm not thinking of?

A 700 watt microwave could run off of a generator as well as long as I turn everything else down or off for the duration. I just can't see the advantage of buying a stovetop and oven and taking up counter space right now. Is there a reason that I'm not thinking of?

Sounds like an OK plan. Just keep in mind that a 700 watt microwave needs 1400-1500 watts of electricity to run. The "700 watts" is only the rating of the cooking power and not the power consumption.

Thanks,

demaris

I need to make sure I get a generator big enough to run my AC from time to time also. I realize you can't run an AC all the time on a generator but I'll be in Florida most of the time, and I know I'll break down and run the AC sometimes.

Semper Fi, I've been reading A LOT of these threads. It's helping immensely. I really don't know what I'd do if this site didn't exist. It helped me make an eyes-wide-open decision before I purchased (rear axle), and now I have a list of things to do in order of priority. I feel like it's a smart list too :)

I really appreciate that there's a place like this where everyone can share their knowledge...and encouragement as well.

Edited by lterry

Welcome to the best Toyota Motorhome site around.

I would recommend you change the front crankshaft oil seal as part of your initial repairs.

These are known to fail (usually at the worst time) on the 20R and 22R engines. The seal itself is about $15.00. Not sure what your mechanic would charge for labor. (should be about 1 hour +/-).

Welcome to the insane assylum. Most of us love these 20 + year old vehicles and do our own upkeep and repairs. Most of the people will help out with any problems that you have. I have used this site extensively both before I bought and after I purchased. When (not if) you need help, just give us the best discription of the problem and we will try to help.

Thank you Fred - I'll be sure to check that out.

Bob, doing my own work...that's what is intimidating me. I actually have done a little car work before, but not very recently and not extensively. I'm ready to learn, though.

Maineah,

sherrie,jdemaris,

I just now figured out that not everyone on here is Ya Baby! LOL, Sorry 5Toyota.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, opinions, and advice. I have definitely adopted a project, and can use any help available.

Another thing the guy didn't know is that the "extra" battery under the hood is actually the coach battery. I don't know if it works or not - I'm assuming not.

I wonder why the jack-knife sofas are so heavy. I might end up putting my Japanese style futon instead since it's light and I already know my daughter sleeps on it fine. I might forgo a stove also or just get a propane fed camper stove for the rare instance that I'd like to use an actual stovetop as well as a toaster oven. I plan on getting a generator which could run the toaster oven. A 700 watt microwave could run off of a generator as well as long as I turn everything else down or off for the duration. I just can't see the advantage of buying a stovetop and oven and taking up counter space right now. Is there a reason that I'm not thinking of?

The "standard" 2000 watt Honda won't cut it if an AC is involved. Have a look at a Yamaha 2400 watt or something similar don't forget camping is supposed to be fun don't complicate it by carrying extra “junk” the toy home isn’t very big so storing stuff can be a hassle. Stove tops do come with out an oven and require no electricity your propane is all ready in place it would be an easy project.

ITerry,

Try looking on the door jamb / frame where the driver's side door closes. My Escaper has a "Damon Industries" tag w/ the VIN and some other information. You may find something similar on yours.

Good luck, have fun, and keep asking questions!

The "standard" 2000 watt Honda won't cut it if an AC is involved. Have a look at a Yamaha 2400 watt or something similar don't forget camping is supposed to be fun don't complicate it by carrying extra “junk” the toy home isn’t very big so storing stuff can be a hassle. Stove tops do come with out an oven and require no electricity your propane is all ready in place it would be an easy project.

I plan to semi-live in it. I feel like the much lighter futon would compensate the weight of the generator?

Anyway, I'm considering backing out of the deal. Money was supposed to change hands tomorrow and picking up the rig then. But now he says the fuel pump has gone out.

ITerry,

Try looking on the door jamb / frame where the driver's side door closes. My Escaper has a "Damon Industries" tag w/ the VIN and some other information. You may find something similar on yours.

Good luck, have fun, and keep asking questions!

We'll see if we even get that far now. Like is just said above, I don't know if I'm going to go through with the deal now. I was supposed to pick up tomorrow but now he says the fuel pump is out.

I guess it depends on the condition of the rig. $2000 sounds high to me considering what you have described. I've passed up a lot of Toyota RVs for less then $1000 that ran OK but were rotted and/or stripped and/or had the 5 lug rear axle. I paid $1800 for my 1988 "full size" Minicruiser. Came with a working three-way refrigerator, hot-water heater, and had a full-floating dually rear with matching front wheels and no rust. I had to fix the furnace with a new control board for $85. Also had to put 6 new tires on it for $500. Last winter I bought a 1984 Nissan Minicruiser with the full-floating dually 6 lug rear, no rust, 80K original miles, and everything worked except the refrig (changed to a cheap AC unit). I paid $1200 for that. There is a 1984 Dolphin down the road from me that has been for sale now for two years. Asking price of $1200. Built on a Chevy S10 chassis with a 2.8 V6 and lock-up/OD automatic trans. "Fake" dually GM rear of some sort that the owner says is "heavy duty." I certainly is not. It runs good and looks pretty good and I bet he'd sell it for $900.

Note - you can get by with the AC refrigerator if you install two "house" batteries and a DC to AC inverter and don't camp more then one night at a time. I'm talking about areas with no AC power available. There are pros and cons to electric-compressor refrigerators. Nice thing is - then work fine on uneven ground and also mean no vents needed in the wall that let weather and bugs in. AC refrigerator will work fine when driving when hooked to a 1200 watt inverter.

I'm possibly backing out of my deal, but I'm still very much interested in a Toyota Motorhome. By any chance do you have the number of the guy selling the one down the road from you?

Did you see this one. Newer and most Dolphins already have the upgraded axle. If this does it's actually cheaper than the other one your looking at. Looks very clean and low mileage. A drive but not crazy far

Linda S

http://mobile.craigslist.org/rvs/5269575994.html

LOL, I emailed them about 15 minutes ago. Thanks for the heads up, though.

And it'd be an alright drive since my daughter is in college in Mobile.

Edited by lterry

I have a bunch of tools and am kinda handy, though not a mechanic. I would not touch a Toy without the upgraded axle. Too many Gremlins involved. Doable, yes, but at what cost in time, energy and money? Consider the fuel pump a sign! My humble opinion, not to be construed as advice. Jim

I have a bunch of tools and am kinda handy, though not a mechanic. I would not touch a Toy without the upgraded axle. Too many Gremlins involved. Doable, yes, but at what cost in time, energy and money? Consider the fuel pump a sign! My humble opinion, not to be construed as advice. Jim

I just told him I'm no longer interested. I feel bad...

I have to tell you I didn't comment before because I thought the other one was a done deal and it looked like a mess to me. So happy your still looking. It pays in the long run to be patient and find one in good shape.

Linda S

Yes, it's back to the drawing board for me. I've made up my mind that it has to be a Toyota, though. I wish there were more listed.

Edited by lterry

Yes, it's back to the drawing board for me. I've made up my mind that it has to be a Toyota, though. I wish there were more listed.

I searched for 2 years for my Sunrader. Trust me one will come up that is perfect for you at the right price. Lets see what happens with that clean looking Dolphin.

Linda S