Filling Up The Gas Tank

altheim

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the following problem: For the past three summers, I had difficulty pumping gas in the fuel tank when I am travelling at a higher elevation (Glacier , Yosemite, and Yellowstone national parks). On these occasions, the gas keep spilling out indicating that the gas tank is full. The only thing I could do is to pump gas very slowly (and this usually took 10 minutes and it is a pain!). I did not have difficulty pumping gas at the beginning or at the end of the trips when I am at lower elevation. Also, I do not have any difficulty pumping gas when travelling on trips at lower elevation.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a solution?

I had difficulty pumping gas in the fuel tank when I am travelling at a higher elevation

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a solution?

I've had the problem off-and-on with my Ford diesel truck and my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser. Some places filling goes fine and other places it's a struggle. In my case - nothing to do with altitude. I also have no idea what the problem is. Filler hoses and extra vent hose (on the Toyota) is fine. The Ford has no vent hose that runs parallel to the main filler. In my case - the difference seems to be in the gas stations and pumps and not the elevation that is pretty constant here in northern Michigan.

check the hose going to the tank from the fill spout.

I had similar problem with a new Altima I rented many years back. not sure if there was a bend or a kink, but I was a bear to fill slowly.

you could buy one of those usb cameras for $20 off amazon and scope it :-)

the vent hose, if it even sags the lightest bit below the level of the fill hose, will cause this behavior. excess length in the vent hose can cause it to sag in between zip ties or fasteners which causes the backpressure from the force of the fuel pump pressure to be too great and it gargles back and out driving you nuts or requiring you to fill at the speed of your motorhome...

• 1 month later...

For me this problem is not about altitude, so it might be different, but my tank cannot handle the new shape of nozzles without kicking back and stopping the flow, so, yes, some places I have to stand there and dribble it in slowly. I try to find the old style nozzles if I have to fill up, but, of course that's not always practical on a trip.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Totem.  My RV will not take gas very quickly if I top off the tank and get fuel into the vent hose.  My solution is to reach (crawl) under the RV and push up on the vent hose to get the fuel out of it, then I can fill at a higher speed.  I guess I should fix the dumb thing since I know the problem.  Until then, I will just stop putting in fuel when the pump turns off the first time.