Progressive Dynamics Converter

bvsajjan

I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey 6cyl Auto V-6.

The Progressive Dynamics Coverter PD 7231 just seems it's getting ready for being upgraded...

What is the best upgrade for this? And/or should I just keep doctoring up the old one?

thanks!

I have a good Solar Power 150watt panel now also with controler...

Thats actually a old discontinued model, see:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/service_discontinued/discontinued_prod_owners_manuals.html .

I got this one,

if you get the "charge wizard" one :

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html , it includes the upgraded DC Distrubition Board.

My Toy came with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9145. I have been redoing the electric and reading about it and it seems to have a high rating among the RV community. So no experience, just parroting what I have read.

The original ones have a single stage charger which is hard on batteries! The PD units have a multi stage charger that is much gentler on batteries!

http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters_9100.html

HTH Jim

• 4 weeks later...

This is a timely topic for me, as well. My old single-stage charger / converter is preparing to bite the dust. I just parked in the shade and plugged in at a friend's house in Tempe w/ the house batteries 29 amps down. It took the loudly humming charger over 4 days to bring the batteries up to full charge. I'm currently looking at a 3-stage 55a converter / charger - larger than I'd normally install if I was going to be plugged in more. Since we're not plugged in very often and won't be traveling as much as we have been for the past several months, we'll be relying on the generator to bring the batteries up when there's not enough sun to keep them charged. I want to put as many amps back into the batteries as quickly as I can to minimize generator run times.

That is the beauty of a modern switching charger it actually charges the battery in a timely manner. The old ones had very poor regulation and were only good for 3 amps or so

As I plod my way through the electrical I see I have to add the PD9105 Charge Wizard to my PD9145A to take advantage of the 4 stage charging. It is an additional $30, but for quick charging and not destroying battery's will quickly pay for itself. The 9200 series appears to include them. Jim

http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard_9105.html

Hey . . "to each his own." If the converter still serves its primary purpose of providing 12 volts DC for "house" appliances when plugged into 120 VAC - why change the whole thing? Even with a new modern converter/power-center - you do not get isolated dual-battery charging. Buy a marine-type charger that will properly charge and maintain both the cranking battery(batteries) and house battery (batteries) - all with one simple unit. When you park/store your RV - just plug it in and all the batteries are kept up perfectly. I've got three of them (one per RV). Mine were sold under the brand-name "Guest." Marinco took over.

Specs:

Charger 10A / 12/24v 2 Bank 120V Input Marinco On-Board Battery 28210

ChargePro onboard chargers have the same housing and mounting dimensions as the traditional Charge Pro Guest chargers with a number of performance enhancements.

• Charge flooded, AGM or Gel batteries
  • Microprocessor controlled for accurate charging
  • Intuitive operation
  • Sense-Send technology senses the power needs of each battery and sends correct charge
  • Isolated outputs
  • Outputs can be put in series or parallel for higher voltage or current
  • Completely sealed, epoxy filled
  • IP68 waterproof
  • Designed for harsh marine and industrial environments? moisture, salt, shock and vibration tested
  • Non corroding housing for ultimate reliability
  • Meet global industry standards including UL, CE, CSA, ABYC, California efficiency regulations (CEC)
  • Footprint same as former Charge Pro Guest Chargers
  • ConnectCharge Plug for easy assembly to inlet (Item #150CCI optional) with no wiring

Specifications Model 28210

Input voltage: 115 V 50/60 Hz AC Input Amps (Max) 2.5 Amps Input Voltage Range 90-265A AC 50/60Hz Banks 2 Output Volts 12/24V DC Absorption Charge voltage (per bank) 14.3 V +/- 0.20 V Float Charge Voltage (per bank) 13.3 V +/- 0.20 V Charging current 10 amp Rechargeable battery type Any 12 V lead acid batteries (Flooded and AGM) Battery Charge capacity (based on 50% drained battery) Group 24 through 31 (up to 120 Amp-Hours) AC Cable Length 6 Ft (1.8M) DC Cable Length 4 Ft (1.2M) Protection type IP68 (casing) Dimensions 5.5" L x 7.8" W x 2.4" 89mm L x 198mm W x 58mm D Weight 5.6 pounds (2.5kg)

post-6578-0-57365900-1446860350_thumb.jp

Yeah, my old Xantrex was a 40 amp marine charger. I bought it as a refurb from Sun Electronics in Miami for $140 like new. They don't have any right now and a new one runs over $300. That's why I'm looking at a converter for less than 1/2 that.

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Sun Elec. in Florida. Mostly solar equipment. Great place to deal with. I bought my Iota DLS-45 amp charger/power-supply from Sun for $150 a few years ago. I see they are near $200 now at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/DLS-45-AUTOMATIC-BATTERY-CHARGER-SUPPLY/dp/B0074JVN3S

Great for charging boat batteries not much good for running lights,pumps etc. A modern converter/charger for an RV does both very easy to by pass the RV isolator with a short jumper. I charge a 55 amp gell cell battery paralleled to the camper batteries, the system stays plugged in all winter..