Sunrader Tail Light Not Working - Any Tips, Shop Recommendations?

chulho

hi everyone,

i drive my nissan sunrader daily so having broken tail light is a major problem right now. please help!

here's the situation:

-just one tail light was working few weeks ago, then now both are out.

-when i brake, lights work. (tail light is same as brake light??)

-rear/front flashers work

-rear license plate lights work

-these clearance light don't have light/bulb: rear-top-right, and driver's side-left-back. the "housing" for the bulb was completely corroded and so it's been taken out

so here are some questions...

-does my tail-light issues have anything to do with some of the clearance lights not working? do all my clearance need to be working in order for tail light to work?

-if brake light and tail light are really the same thing, and my brake light works, could it be some other issue?

-i'm looking to also get ALL lights redone with LED... i read other people's posts on it, and especially like andrew's (flatspin's) setup. but i know nothing of lights/electrical, except just testing for current. i'd love to be able to do this myself but if tail-light problem is due to clearance lights, i may need to take to a shop because i need tail-light to be working ASAP~ i'm around oakland/berkeley/hayward area. is there a good shop i can take this in for expert hands?

-or does this seem like a easy fix? is there a fuse for taillight that's not with the main fuse box?

thanks~!! immediate response is super appreciated! since clearance lights do work i think driving at night is safe and if pulled over, i'll likely get a fix ticket, but i really won't be able to drive at night after the first ticket..

-cc

So I assume you replaced the bulbs. Have you checked for current where the bulbs plug in. My Nissan didn't have tail lights and I thought it was something serious but my son-in-law cleaned them up and now they work fine. Same situation, had flashers and brake lights but no tail lights. Just the fact that your clearance lights work tells you that you have power there. Someone here completely rebuilt the same tail lights with new sockets but I don't know where the post is. maybe Derek can find it. He's good at that

Linda S

hi everyone,

i drive my nissan sundrader daily so having broken tail light is a major problem right now. please help!

here's the situation:

-just one tail light was working few weeks ago, then now both are out.

-when i brake, lights work. (tail light is same as brake light??)

-rear/front flashers work

-rear licence plate lights work

-these clearance light don't have light/bulb: rear-top-right, and driver's side-left-back. the "housing" for the bulb was completely corroded and so it's been taken out

so here are some questions...

-does my tail-light issues have anything to do with some of the clearance lights not working? do all my clearance need to be working in order for tail light to work?

-if brake light and tail light are really the same thing, and my brake light works, could it be some other issue?

-i'm looking to also get ALL lights redone with LED... i read other people's posts on it, and especially like andrew's (flatspin)'s setup. but i know nothing of lights/electrical, except just testing for current. i'd love to be able to do this myself but if tail-light problem is due to clearance lights, i may need to take to a shop because i need tail-light to be working ASAP~ i'm around oakland/berkeley/hayward area. is there a good shop i can take this in for expert hands?

-or does this seem like a easy fix? is there a fuse for taillight that's not with the main fuse box?

thanks~!! immediate response is super appreciated! since clearance lights do work i think driving at night is safe and if pulled over, i'll likely get a fix ticket, but i really won't be able to drive at night after the first ticket..

-cc

I don't have the factory wiring diagram here for the Nissan. That being said, taillights can never be the same bulb-circuit as brake lights. Brake lights and directional-signal lights are always brighter if close to the taillight -or totally separate. Marker/clearance lights ARE usually on the same circuit as the taillights.

thanks for the quick reply everyone.

the clearance lights are pretty dirty but the [tail/brake+flasher+reverse] lights looks clean. but i'll give it some cleaning and check the wiring.

question: so if the same light bulb is activated by both brake and taillight, but brake gives it more light output, then should i expect there to be two wires (one from brake, another from tail light) going into the light housing?