Sunrader Shocks Needed,..

perry mason

Sigh,.. It's a 1983. How do you shop for shocks/suspension parts? The chassis is a Toyota one-ton dual wheel, six lug axle. I keep getting internet-shunted to 4x4 pickup truck parts based on the shock tube excursion length and not vehicle weight. Or course, they are all "super" and "heavy duty" and "turbo" and so on. Any real recommendations based on experience?

Also: I hit an unmarked Mexican speed bump two years ago doing about 50mph. The front of both leaf springs about 4 inches behind the front hanger is bent up about an inch so it's not an smooth arc anymore. I found some used "helper springs" this summer which really seemed to help under way and even when parked. I weigh 150lbs and I can walk around inside now without the coach lurching around anymore.

I looked at a local 4x4 leaf spring setup, similar year Toyota PU, not an RV and they are completely different from mine. Much smaller as you would expect. Anyone replace their set?

Also: I keep reading about people who installed air-ride cushions in the Sunraders. My chassis measures barely five inches of space- not really enough for what the search engine shows as the best fit for my vehicle.

Thanks as always and keep up the good work, pm.

Sigh,.. It's a 1983. How do you shop for shocks/suspension parts? The chassis is a Toyota one-ton dual wheel, six lug axle.

Toyota didn't make a one-ton dually truck in 1983. So I assume you've got a 1983 3/4 ton cab & chassis truck with an updated FF dually . It probably needs shocks that measure 13.8" closed, and 22.7"extended. Gabriel # 81318 or G63492, or Delco 520427 or 530193.

If the dually upgrade was done with the staggered shocks in the back wouldn't he need shocks that fit a dually? staggered shocks are not mentioned in Toyota brochures until 1986, the first year of the dually axle. Seems like they might be a different length

Linda S

If the dually upgrade was done with the staggered shocks in the back wouldn't he need shocks that fit a dually? staggered shocks are not mentioned in Toyota brochures until 1986, the first year of the dually axle. Seems like they might be a different length

Linda S

Maybe. That's why I said he'd better check his old shocks. I don't know what was done to adapt the FF rear-axles to older rigs. I don't have staggered shocks on my 1978 conversion - but I did the work myself and not Toyota. Either staggered top shock mounts were added to the frame, or the bottom brackers were converted for non-staggered. To be honest, I've never looked up close to a Toyota factory-type conversion. The part # I posted for the Gabriel # 81318 is for a 1 ton dually with staggered setup.

The recall KITS were for the pre 86 models and there were 3 basic kits depending on the year of the truck. I think the differences were the e-brake cable and the lower shock plates.

So if was a factory refit then JD has the answer, look at the existing shocks

So now you begin to see the conundrum. The factory shocks are long gone. The vehicle title says '84, the owners booklet is for an '83. The coach plate says '85. The old rear shocks were blown and oozing no-names that looked like they were owner replaced early on. The Auto-Zone PU shocks fit for size and install but don't ride well. I was lucky to find these on the road in a foreign country.

A Mexican man with a floor jack installed these in a dirt lot for $20 in about 45 minutes. I ate a taco and watched an episode of Ophan Black which I especially enjoyed.

I don't know what staggered shocks are. Mine are in front of the leaf springs directly across from each other and facing the same direction and angle. There is barely room for the light duty shocks to fit on the bottom shackle.

I found an expired CraigsList ad for a 1983 Toyota one ton dually. I found pictures of toyota dual wheel farm rigs and u-haul type things with no spec for one ton 3/4 etc. There was only one reference on a toyota forum and the guy said they could not find duelly parts but the 4x4 models for brakes and suspension fit so I just thought I'd ask here.

The front shocks are really tiny and are a KYB generic gas adjust. I doubt they are original.

So,.. shocks are not purchased with a consideration for vehicle weight? It's just about excursion?

Sorry this is so long winded. We move steadily forwards,.. pm.

What is the PN on the shock you have. What is the "problem" with them, to soft or to hard?

Sounds like your riding on a lot of rough roads. Staggered shocks are when one goes forward and one goes back. Since you don't have that set up I would buy the best shocks you can buy for a 1983 Toyota pick up and that would be Bilstein. Part numbers here but you can search around and see if you can find a better price

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4489&selected_year=1983

Linda S

Tonight/tomorrow I'm installing the Bilstein rear shocks sized by shockwarehouse. I'll snap a photo and let you know how it went. I can offer the part numbers then as I'm away from home right now.

So now you begin to see the conundrum. The factory shocks are long gone. The vehicle title says '84, the owners booklet is for an '83. The coach plate says '85. The old rear shocks were blown and oozing no-names that looked like they were owner replaced early on. The Auto-Zone PU shocks fit for size and install but don't ride well.

Just order shocks for a 1984 3/4 ton Toyota 2WDpickup. From what you describe, you have non-staggered. That means the both hook up on the bottom bracket in front of the axle. and on top - both hook to pins in front of the axle. Same shocks fit 1982-1984 3/4 ton pickup as well as 1993-98 T-100. Toyota rated the cab & chassis truck back then at 1400 lbs. (just a hair under 3/4 ton). If you want some sort of air-assist suspension - you can easily put in air-shocks. As far as ride-quality goes -I don't know what to say. I've never been in a Toyota RV that rode real nice anyway. It's an overloaded mini-truck. I don't different brands or rates of shocks are going to make a big difference. On the subject of Bilsteins - I've read several compaints from Toyota RV owner who did not like them and switched to Konis. Also read from many who liked them. I've got KYBs in mine and they work good enough for me. Autozone #s would be Gabriel 663907 or 81147. Gabriel air shocks are Hijackers 49310.

Tonight/tomorrow I'm installing the Bilstein rear shocks sized by shockwarehouse. I'll snap a photo and let you know how it went. I can offer the part numbers then as I'm away from home right now.

Ok, here's how it went.

The front shocks went on easily. The rear... the Bilsteins I purchased from shockwarehouse did not fit. Even when compressed fully, they are too long.

As a result, I took off the old rear shocks, and after giving up on the Biltsein install, I went to Autozone and purchased a pair of GabrieLs @ $85 for the pair.

Here's the Bilstein info...

2 24-184830 F4-B46-1772-H1 Bilstein Toyota Pickup and Motorhome Item: 24-184830 $74.24 $148.48

2 24-002585 Bilstein Toyota Pickup, Landcruiser, and Others Item: 24-002585 $74.24 $148.48

Sub Total $296.96 Shipping (Ground) $0.00 Invoice Total $296.96

In Hindsight, I should have removed the old shocks and measured, then ordered based on measurements.

I watched a youtube video of a guy removing rear shocks using an air impact tool, and therefore assumed the shocks would be a major project to remove. In fact, the rears cam off with a 14mm socket. A 3/8 drive would have been adequate. Easy.

No amount of sagging in the rear springs should prevent the correct shock from fitting. Shocks are never supposed to reach end-of-travel, even if the spring bottoms out. The correct Bilstein shock for his application is a 24-188203. Not the longer 24-002585.

I considered rear spring sag, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The shocks Autozone sized are identical to the originals. The compressed and "stretched" lengths are to same.

I'm not thinking the leaf springs are sagged far enough to make 4-5 inches difference.

FWIW there are 7 layers of leaf spring. I wonder if this is typical.

I'm not an expert in this field, just a bonehead who changed out his own shocks. I'm not sure how much $ I saved.

There's something to be said for crawling under the MH and checking everything out. I was pleased that everything looked good, no rust, no rot. I guess the old Dolphin will be good for a while.

No amount of sagging in the rear springs should prevent the correct shock from fitting. Shocks are never supposed to reach end-of-travel, even if the spring bottoms out. The correct Bilstein shock for his application is a 24-188203. Not the longer 24-002585

This is the info that is probably best.

The rear axle is the Toyota retro-fit. Now that I think about it... that's why the bushings and shocks were still looking pretty fair... they are not original 1984. Some online info about the 1991 recall of 1984 Dolphin MHs to cause an upgrade to floating 6-lug axle makes me think the shocks, springs, and axle were installed in 1991 or 1992, but I really have no record.

The Autozone/Gabriels went in just fine. I'm happy with them for now.

Gabriel Ultra/Shock/Strut - Rear

Fits Your Vehicle

This product is a fit for your:

1984 Toyota Truck Pickup 2WD 2.4L 2BL 4cyl

Part Number: G63907

Alternate Part Number: G60308

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

(0 reviews)
Pick Up In Store:
In Stock
Ship To Home:
Special Order
Ships within 1 business days.
chat_grid.png
Price: $41.99
Hot Deals & Savings orangeArrowGrid_down.png
Mail-in Rebate Available Download rebate form
FREE Shipping

On orders $75 or Greater and FREE Shipping to APO, FPO, DPO addresses. See Details

No amount of sagging in the rear springs should prevent the correct shock from fitting. Shocks are never supposed to reach end-of-travel, even if the spring bottoms out. The correct Bilstein shock for his application is a 24-188203. Not the longer 24-002585.

Except that people have been buying the 24-002585 model shock from shockwarehouse and other places for a long time and this is the first time I have ever heard that they didn't fit. Like I said they fit fine on an 84 Sunrader and were installed just a couple of months ago. The other shock you posted is for a truck not a full float axle motorhome

Linda S

Linda S,

What would staggered shocks look like?

On mine, on the passenger side the unit is behind the axle. On the driver's side, the shock is forward of the axle.

I guess I don't know what the term "staggered shock" means.

Fred

FRED

By your description of your axle and shocks you have staggered shocks.

It means that the shocks are staggered on opposite sides of the axle

I have to admit I'm a little confused who has what here. The incipient poster - "Perry Mason" stated clearly his shocks are not staggered. It was his post and his vehicle I was trying to comment on. I have no idea what rig Fred Newell has. Regardless - shocks are always required to have more travel left in them when the springs bottom out. Very easy to check with a tape measure when looking to swap shocks.

Ok... I do believe, based on the info in this thread, that I have staggered shocks.

I convinced myself that the Bilsteins I purchased do not fit.

Currently, I work M-F away from home. This weekend, I figure on repeating all of the measurements, and verifying that the shock I rec'd are match the stock code I ordered.

Hopefully, I can remove any and all doubt, at least for me.

Right now, I'm confused, and I'll bet the original poster is too.

I posted this earlier but now cannot find it. Lost in cyberspace maybe?

I believe 1972 to 1983 Toyota trucks came OEM with non-staggered shocks. The tops both mount to a metal bar that runs sideways between the frame rails, in front of the rear-axle. 1984 and newer (again, I think) went to a staggered-mount setup where on top - one shock mounts in front of the rear-axle and the other behind it - both on pins welded to the top of the frame rail. The Toyota kit for a FF rear-axle into a 1979 to 1983 truck comes with new shock-mount pins to weld to the frame rails.

Shocks for non-staggered mount are 3-4" shorter then for staggered mount. Shocks are supposed to have a few inches of travel left in them when the springs are totally bottomed out.

post-6578-0-90346400-1443536673_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08739100-1443536677_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-92517400-1443536678_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-97653200-1443536682_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-34319000-1443536685_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19632900-1443536687_thumb.jp

I remember that post, great pics. Btw what is the drain plug in pict #3, gas tank? I also remember thinking thank goodness for the air bags as my rig has only 4 or 5 leafs in the spring pack I went out and counted 'em after seeing that post but do not now remember how many I have.

I remember that post, great pics. Btw what is the drain plug in pict #3, gas tank? I also remember thinking thank goodness for the air bags as my rig has only 4 or 5 leafs in the spring pack I went out and counted 'em after seeing that post but do not now remember how many I have.

Drain plug is for a 2nd gas tank I put where the spare tire normally does (15 gallon Jeep CJ tank). OEM leaf-spring packs are 5 full-time-use leafs and 1 overload leaf. In the case of a Toyota RV - the overload is in use all the time.