Holes In Aluminum

mechy411

Hello everyone,

Working on a rotted cab-over it seems like 1/2 problems are caused by a awning. So two questions is an awning worth the hassle it seems like a wind catcher going down the highway and a hundred potential areas to cause leaks when it rains.

And the most important question how to patch holes in aluminum? Bondo? Fiberglass? There are other holes I would like patch.

Thanks,

Mike

post-6299-0-93442300-1442882140_thumb.jp

I've got them all over my 1988. I used white silicone. Not pretty but I'm not picky. I just read a long article about what supposedly causes those pin-holes (written in 1979). Claim is that the combo of moisture and chemicals in the glue underneath causes the corrosion-holes in the aluminum. I found that interesting. I had just assumed it was some sort of electrolysis.

Aluminum can be problematic. I recently went over the front cab over with mine. My method was to sand and clean with acetone. Then used Marine epoxy meant for aluminum boats using aluminum flashing as backing for the larger holes. The epoxy I used can be sanded and did so to level it off. Then I used self etching primer to seal and create a bond coat to the surface. Then applied body filler, filler glaze and then primed and painted like normal body work.

The cab over took a hit and was repaired by the previous owner. They used a combination of fiberglass and bondo on bare aluminum. I will tell you I was quite surprised at how poorly both bonded to the aluminum. I picked right off. I went over all of the old repair similar to the above. Did a ton of reading on aluminum body work before deciding on this method.

I used Marine-Tex. Available in various sizes. Also picked up some mixing cups and craft sticks cheap on Amazon as well. I went with this as it was specifically made for aluminum boats. It has a relatively slow cure time but was otherwise easy to work with as to spreading and sanding.