Extra Fuel Tank

davidtan

Anybody figure out how to get extended range from the Toyo Home. Mine has a 15 gallon tank and I think I can get around 175 on it without running dry. I am thinking of trying to install a 10 gallon extra tank (detachable) for super long trips. Any ideas?

I carry 5 gallons on my back bumper also. I have a steel cargo carrier with a plastic tool box on the back that sort of gives the illusion of protecting the gas cans. The carrier has led taillights mounted on it because the tool box partially blocks the rv mounted taillights.

I have only used the spare gas once in Idaho because we had driven over 200 miles and the gas gauge needle had gone below empty about 20 miles ago. The wife was not happy so I dumped the spare gas in. At the next gas station, the cans got refilled.

On several trips I have had to top off the gas tank with only 75 miles driven because the next gas was another 150 miles down the road. I don't want to annoy my woman any more than possible so I don't push my luck. I could probably make it 225 miles but it is not worth the noise in the cab to see the needle drop below empty again.

I have a 17 gallon tank and on several occasions I have had to put in 15 gallons to fill up.

My gas tank is a 15 gallon tank on my 1990 Odyssey. I ran out of gas one mile from a gas station, hiked the mile and returned with one gallon of gas, then drove the mile and it took 14.5 gallons to fill it. Maybe it was replaced.

From the mid 80's to early 90's Toyota only offered 3 gas tank sizes. 13.7 for the tiny short beds. 17.2 for the cab and chassis and long beds and 19.3 for the 4x4's. Considering how readily available after market tanks are that exactly match Toyota specs it seems unlikely to me that there are so many mystery sizes. More likely there is just that much gunk in the bottom of your tank or some other reason I don't know about

Linda S

Anybody figure out how to get extended range from the Toyo Home. Mine has a 15 gallon tank and I think I can get around 175 on it without running dry. I am thinking of trying to install a 10 gallon extra tank (detachable) for super long trips. Any ideas?

My 1988 has a 17 gallon tank in theory but it reads just-about empty when it needs 15 gallons. Never been brave enough to run lower then that. I put a 5 gallon steel military can back so I don't get nervous in rural areas. I already used it once. Those steel cans are less then $20 and a cheap investment. My carrier in back actually has room for two of those 5 gallon cans, side by side.

post-6578-0-82641600-1442318633_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-22522600-1442318636_thumb.jp

Linda S.

I hope you're right about the 17 gallon tank on the 84. Mine sputtered like it was empty once then I stopped and added my 2 gallon spare gas can contents. The next gas station was 12 miles, and I filled up... it seemed like the total capacity came in at less than 17... maybe just over 15 gallons. As a result I've been very shy about going beyond 200 miles per tank.

When I go "under" to change out the shocks, I'm going to tape measure the tank and see what volume I come up with. I've been meaning to do that for a couple of years now. I wonder what other surprises are "down there"?

Fred - 84 dolphin

I dare you to find a link or part number to a bigger tank. I've looked forever and the only apparent option is doing a custom tank of some sort.

There are rumors of a certain year jeep or T-100 possibly fitting, but no proof as of yet.

just get a larger tank ,mine has a 25 gallon tank and it is a 93 they said they had a larger one put in and we filled it 24.xx not that long ago.

so it is possible to find a larger tank.

Hmmmmm.... very interesting. I will start my search

I'd be curious to see if the 2 gallon larger 4x4 tank would fit a non-4x4. 2 extra gallons would be nice, though probably not nice 'enough' to warrant changing the tank unless you were changing anyway.

I don't see how it is possible. My 17 gallon just fits in there snugly (I recently had it out). It is 30 3/4" long. The 19 gallon tank for a 4WD is 37" long.

When i bought my 94 MicroWarrior it had two tanks, the standard and an additional one which I think may also be 17 gals. The secondary feeds the generator. It's been really convenient, especially after having experienced an older '83 22' Lazy Daze which drank fuel like a beast and was built like a tank. I miss the sturdiness of that RV though and wish Lazy Daze would venture into shorter lengths again.

I don't see how it is possible. My 17 gallon just fits in there snugly (I recently had it out). It is 30 3/4" long. The 19 gallon tank for a 4WD is 37" long.

I'm missing something here. The 17 and 19 gallon tanks are both 37 inches long. The difference is the 19 gallon is deeper cause the 4x4's have more clearance underneath. The only one that shows up as 30 inches long is the tiny 13.7 gallon tank that came on the short bed trucks.

Linda S

You're correct. Now I'm wondering if my tank is actually smaller then I thought in my 1988? I'm going to have to get under it again and take some measurements. My notes must be off.

My tank IS 37". 12 3/8" deep. Fuel sender when all the way down to read "empty" is 11 1/2" deep. In theory that gives a 1 1/4 gallon reserve after the fuel gauge reads totally empty. I don't know why I had it stuck in my head that it was shorter.

post-6578-0-35789100-1442406408_thumb.jp

Maxxfab made (past tense) 25 gallon tanks that fit our motorhomes. He got the extra capacity by making the tanks with square corners instead of being rounded. He also had the tank shaped like an inverted "L" with the section of the tank that protrudes hanging out over the drive shaft. I wish that I had gotten one of his tanks.

He did point out that the fuel gauge did read the level of fuel correctly. The gauge would go down very slowly for the first 1/3 of the capacity due to the tank being very wide at the top. When the gauge read 3/4 full it actually only had about 8 gallons left in it.

I could have lived with the gauge not being correct because I would know to plan accordingly.

I think your mistaken Bob. Searched and Maxxfab never said he made any tanks. He said he had the larger tank in his Sunrader. The original 26 gallon tanks that fit our campers were made by Transfer Flow in southern Cal. The last company that still made them was Northwest Metal fabricators in Oregon but they sold their fuel tank company a couple of years ago and the new owners don't make tanks for Toyota's

Linda S

Thanks for the correction.

There is a space right behind the storage bin (under the couch) , it looks like I could mount a 12 gallon tank in there . I'm not sure how I could connect the 2 tanks (probably put a Y in the fill hose and another Y in the feed hose???????) .

Brand:Summit Racing

Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-290102

Part Type:Fuel Cells

Product Line:Summit Racing® Drag Race Fuel Cells

Length (in): 17.500 in.

Width (in): 16.000 in.

Height (in): 10.000 in.

sum-290102_ml.jpg

moeller-630012lp.jpg

Moeller 630012LP Portable Fuel Tank, 12 Gallon

22.90"L x 14.30"W x 13.60"H with cap.