Roof Vent Weather Rot

FredNewell

Been a while - getting the Dolphin ready to go to Nashville and back (again).

Other than the basic check-out, I thought my only repair task would be to replace the shocks. First I gave it a washdown starting on the roof.

I found the 14"x14" roof vents to be rotted to dust - and they are only in their third year since I replaced them. That really surprised me. Good thing we're having a drought.

No big deal, they're easy to fix, but I never expected them to be shot so quickly.

I'm thinking the quality isn't what it used to be. I don't have the receipt so I cannot tell which brand they were.

I've had rvs for 35 years now, and never had roof vents break down in the sun before, so soon.

Most plastics break down under UV light. Vinyl being an exception. Polystyrene is often colored black to protect the inner layers.

Perhaps you can coat yours with paint, bondo or bedliner.

My Harbor Freight amber LED lights turned to dust in four years. I installed U-haul surplus metal running lights with the dual halogen bulbs. May try a different LED in a few years.

I've replaced my Sunrader bathroom vent twice in the 11 years I've owned it. One of the reasons I kind of cringe when I see people covering all the edges of their roof vents with RV sealant. Super hard to get the stuff out enough to access the darn screws again. I use butyl tape only and never had a leak from the seal area. 3 years though sounds like too soon. Your not in a high sun area for lots of UV damage.

Linda S

Wal Mart has Camco vent covers for about $20. Not sexy but they protect your vent cover and let you open the vent whenever.

Been a while - getting the Dolphin ready to go to Nashville and back (again).

Other than the basic check-out, I thought my only repair task would be to replace the shocks. First I gave it a washdown starting on the roof.

I found the 14"x14" roof vents to be rotted to dust - and they are only in their third year since I replaced them. That really surprised me. Good thing we're having a drought.

No big deal, they're easy to fix, but I never expected them to be shot so quickly.

I'm thinking the quality isn't what it used to be. I don't have the receipt so I cannot tell which brand they were.

I've had rvs for 35 years now, and never had roof vents break down in the sun before, so soon.

I've got a friend who was an American engineer working in China 10-15 years ago. He was working for GE helping design electric power plants in China. He got telling me about what materials are like in China. Some great and some awful. He told me that in the USA we tend to take plastic for granted and the USA has the finest plastic in the world. He said China had (at the time) the worst rubber and plastic in the world. I've had plastic parts sit outside for 40 years that were made in the USA and were still OK. I've also had Chinese plastic fall apart in 2 years. Hopefully quality control will get better since most we buy comes from China. Japan had the same problem with recycled steel when they first started selling stuff in the USA.

Found this UV clear paint online - worth a try maybe - Krylon is probably available at your neighborhood hardware store.

Krylon® Fusion for Plastic® Clear Finish

KRYLON® FUSION FOR PLASTIC® AEROSOL PAINT is the first paint of its kind that bonds directly to most plastics. This no-prep, superbond paint bonds easily to PVC pipes, plastic conduit, vinyl molding and siding.

•No sanding or priming needed

•Clear UV protection

•Resists dirt and color fade

•Indoor/Outdoor use on most plastics and hard to bond surfaces

also this...

$22.06

+ Free Shipping

Sold by: WEGOTTHEGOODS4U

Add to Cart

$22.06

+ Free Shipping

Sold by: iboats

Add to Cart

$22.50

+ Free Shipping

Sold by: Speedom Sports

19 new from $17.08

303 (30306) Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 fl. oz

303 (30306) Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 fl. oz

by 303 Products

732 customer reviews

| 103 answered questions

List Price: $23.25

Price: $22.06 Free Shipping for Prime Members

You Save: $1.19 (5%)

In Stock.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

• Powerful UV blockers prevent fading, cracking and premature aging

• Dries to a clear matte finish

• Restores lost color and luster

• Easy to use: Simply spray on and wipe dry

• Safe and effective for: vinyl, Plexiglas, carbon fiber, rubber, plastics and finished leather

› See more product details

19 new from $17.08