New England

PapaFred

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Left Georgia last Monday been 1089 miles. Mr.Breeze has performed like a champ! After Wallmart camping on way up, we are at KOA 20 minutes from Cooperstown.

My old stomping grounds. I lived 15 miles from Cooperstown for almost 40 years. Also had a few college courses in Cooperstown. One of the only two museum studies graduate programs in the USA that is situated at a living history museum (Farmers Museum). Otsego County is getting too crowed for my tastes.

I don't know how well you know the area - but if you get some crappy weather and want to do something - you might want to check out Howes Caves in Cobleskill. Kind of a neat place that was discovered by a few cows.

Thanks JDE, hanging out in this area till the Labor Day crowd goes back to work then straight north thru the Adirondacks.I lack 8 states to seeing the entire USA,6 are in NE and one is where you're living now.For the past 4 years we been traveling out west in a toyota Yaris,tent camping and packed to the hilt! So this is like putting on the ritz for us!

When you say NY down south people sort of Shake their head but they're thinking of the city.This place is beautiful to me and reminds me of home with all the farmland. Gas is high,paid $2.69 as opposed to $1.94 in Tenn and the roads are pretty rough.

Last time I was in central NY - diesel was $4.29 and in northern Michigan - $2.85. HUGE difference. We just sold our place in the central Adirondacks in Town of Indian Lake. That area - with Racquette Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, Indian Lake, Speculator, North Creek - is my all time favorite area. The somewhat new nature-museum in Tupper Lake is pretty amazing. So is the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake.

When you say NY down south people sort of Shake their head but they're thinking of the city.This place is beautiful to me and reminds me of home with all the farmland. Gas is high,paid $2.69 as opposed to $1.94 in Tenn and the roads are pretty rough.

Yes. I once tried to order something from a place out west and gave them a PO Box for my address. They refused to send. I then told them that the US Post Office refused to deliver mail to my house and the guy did not believe me. He claimed there "can't be anywhere in the state of NY too rural not to get mail." Well, he was/is wrong. I lived there for 40 years and when we sold this Spring - still no mail and no school bus service. A few photos taken from our house where we had 80 acres of land in the Town of Worcester (about 15 miles from Cooperstown). My wife and I are holding a mortgage on it so I guess it's not our's anymore unless the new people default.

post-6578-0-22470300-1441639462_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-29130000-1441639463_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-68602400-1441639464_thumb.jp

If you get the chance, you might want to cruise down the Cedar River Flow road. Really neat drive when the weather is decent and lots of "primitive" camping and much is free. This is one of those roads where tire chains are required by law by a certain date.

Excellent put-in at Cedar River campground, upstream of dam. Downstream, the Cedar River is technically Class 2-3 whitewater.

Take Route 30 North through the village of Indian Lake; turn left on Cedar River Road; follow for about 8-10 miles; campsites are on the left. The Cedar River Flow is a small wilderness river in the central Adirondacks. The Moose River flows into it, and is stopped by a small dam with a bridge over top of it at the Cedar River campsites. These campsites are free to the public, and have no running water or flush toilets, but the closeness to the road makes them suitable for families with children. For the more adventurous, there are sites scattered around the main flow, which are accessible by boat only. These sites are well maintained, and only lightly used.

Isolated wilderness sites are located along the shoreline and up the narrow inlet. 40 miles of seasonal dirt roads traverse the Moose River Plains Wild Forest from Cedar River Flow to Inlet. Other old roads and paths branch off the main road and lead to lakes or rivers. Designated camping areas are found along several of the main roads. A brochure on the area is available from the DEC. The area opens to vehicles in the spring after the mud season.

Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks

I assume you must of stopped at the "Wild Center?" We went there when it first opened and were really impressed. Went back the 2nd year and it was still pretty good. Wondering if it's falling apart and doing well. The Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake used to be our favorite man-made place until the Wild Center in Tupper Lake opened up.

I've never been on a ferry in New York or Vermont. Always stuck to roads. I lived in the "northeast kingdom" of northern Vermont in the late 70s and had a girlfriend in Williston (Champlain area). Did a lot of driving down to southern Vermont chasing college girls. That until I focused on Canada instead and started hanging out in Sherbrooke chasing French girls instead of English speaking college girls in VT.

Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks

My grandmother lived in that general area in 1912. She came through Ellis Island from southern France and was sponsored by a "Romance Language" NYC professor who had a log cabin on a lake up there. He wanted a French-speaking nanny to take care of his little kid all summer so hired my grandma. Her and another French girl who later changed her name and became a movie star (Claudette Colbert). Part of the trip was by steam-boat and groceries and mail came once a week on the same steam-boat. Things have really changed and being able to drive around in an RV is quite a luxury as compared to those times.

I have some photos from 1912 showing my grandmothe et. al. outside doing a woodsy "photo-op" and also inside the cabin. In 1999, my wife and I actually found that cabin still intact but being torn down just as we got there. I took much of it with me and have it here in Michigan now. Here's a "then" and "now" photo of the cabin interior. "Now" as in 1999.

post-6578-0-75053500-1441803368_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-12622500-1441803370_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-79370300-1441803378_thumb.jp

The inside shot of the cabin has a little boy on the left. He is (was) F.C. Jordan and later became a somewhat famous Naval commander and has a ship named after him. By the way, my grandma hated the Adirondacks. When she left France - her village was just a rural as the Adirondacks and she had no parents to raise her. Coming to America and landing in some remote rural area in the Adirondacks was not something she was real happy about.

"Northeast Kingdom" was sort of an insult put upon the three-county area by Vermont governor in 1949. He was frustrated because of the local's resistance to change and development. When I moved to that area around 1975, the locals called it the "Northeast Kingdom" and regarded themselves very different from people in central and southern Vermont. So what was first coined as an insult became a sort of badge-of-honor. I suspect not so much anymore. When I was living there in the 70s - the area had been invaded by aging hippies. Some were left-overs from Woodstock (I was there too but not a hippie). I lived in a little place named Albany and was about 20 miles from the Canadian border and the big lake that was in the USA and Canada (Lake Memphremagog)..

Funny how insults turn into good names. Like the "Adirondacks" which was first an insulting name cast upon the non-Iroquois Indians by the Iroquois.

Here in Michigan - "Huron" was sort of an insult cast upon the Oundat Indians by the French.

I wish I had more photos of when I lived in the "Northeast Kingdom." No digital camera or computers back then. I had a pet raccoon, skunk, porcupine, and dog - all to keep me company. Porcupine was named Prick (real creative, right?). My boss was living with a girl who was an heiress to Timken Roller Bearings. I.e. she was very rich and was going to college down in southern Vermont for fun. She took on a rural he-man sort as a boy-toy and he was my boss. So I lived in her old farm house in the middle of nowhere. Worked in a sugar woods in the spring and as a mechanic and carpenter for the rest of the year. The remote mud road we lived on had no name back then but is now named after my boss.

post-6578-0-83053600-1441810630_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-07719800-1441810632_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35079900-1441810633_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35536000-1441810634_thumb.jp

The northeast kingdom is sill very much proud of the name. JD is right, it is undeveloped and the "real" northeast kingdom is home to towns of less than 100 people, with the entirety of roads being dirt logging trails. There are big and small towns throughout, but the NEK is where you'll find a lot of what city folk might consider "quaint". I grew up in a very small town and even I am blown away by what I've seen up north. I believe it was the town of Granby that I remember having about 6 house trailers, one being a general store/post office, a church that also serves as a school house, and one logging road in and out of the town, which if you were blinking you may not even know it was there. Just think... NO CELL OR CABLE SERVICE. The humanity....

This 1984 Huntman has performed really well. Spent last night in Plattsburgh came down hwy 2 thru middle of lake Champlain and tonight in Stowe Vt a week too early for the British Invasion. Want to go into the green mtn nat forest and boondock for a few days.

Feel free to stop into Montpelier and say hi!

I don't know if things have changed since the mid 1970s. When I lived near the Canadian border in VT, the nearest motor vehicle office was in Montpelier. I had to drive there many times. Long ride to get a registration. I used to buy vehicles cheap out-of-state with no titles and then get them registered in Vermont that did not require one.

Just a suggestion:- Do NOT try Lincoln Gap. :)

Good plan. Mt. Abraham is bad enough in a car! The gap is very narrow, twisty, steep and full of people running back and forth across the road!

Good plan. Mt. Abraham is bad enough in a car! The gap is very narrow, twisty, steep and full of people running back and forth across the road!

Sounds like Niagara Falls. I tried to see it for the first time last year (on the USA side). But when we drove though - I felt like I was in a bar scene on Star Wars. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people wandering around - many wearing turbans and in the middle of the road. I was a nervous wreck and could not take my eyes off the road even for a second. Drove right past the Falls - heard them - felt the mist - but never saw them. NEVER going back - ever.

If you get real brave with your Toyota - you might want to try a trip to the top of White Face Mountain. Quite a view of several states at once if one of those rare clear days. Quite a steep climb though. I had to stop several times on the way up with my diesel Chevy RV since it was getting so hot. One funny thing - a real life "blonde joke." While we were pulled over - maybe half way up - two blonde girls pulled along side of use in a convertible BMW. They were scared of how steep the hill was and asked us if there was a "less steep road" going up. You'd get the humor if you saw the place. Just a steep mountain with a road spiraled around it. No way possible for anything less steep.

http://www.whiteface.com/activities/whiteface-veterans-memorial-highway