1992 Itasca Catalytic Converter

Kane

My Rig has 2 converters in line with each other before the muffler, is this normal?

I feel like it's making my motor run a little warmer than with 1.

Please reply and let me know what your thoughts are

Thank You

If you have recently replaced yours, post a link where's a good place to buy online, also the Flanges and Gaskets.

Thanks

Hi Kane--my '92 Itasca Spirit had the same setup as yours. My mechanic replaced it with a single unit from NAPA. It has a flange on the lead end and is welded in place at the back. Changed the sound of the exhaust a bit, but made a big difference in engine response. Seems to run better all around after the replacement.

I would not change a cat unless i absolutely had to.

And BTW, if a cat goes bad, something made it go bad. I would be very interested in resolving that "why" before installing a new one as I would not want to have a buy a 2nd new one which could very well happen.

cat's should outlast these rigs.

And BTW, if a cat goes bad, something made it go bad. I would be very interested in resolving that "why" before installing a new one as I would not want to have a buy a 2nd new one which could very well happen.

lot of cold weather starts and short drives will clog a cat.

• 2 years later...

Hi there! I just failed smog because the guy said my rig shouldn't have 2 cats. Its a 93 Itasca Spirit on the 92 Toyota dually. Were they manufactured with 2 cats? Where can I find official documentation of this if it is? The smog place just doesn't have a good way to look up the vehicle, they have to go on documentation they have for the 92 pickup alone... :(

On 9/3/2015 at 2:27 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

Oh man, I could have fun here on this comment. I will only say I disagree. All of my vehicles are over 250,000 miles of all different makes still have same or no cat and yet the toy home at 86,000 miles is on 3rd cat - this one a stainless steel.

One disintegrated the ceramic "honey comb", the next rusted away until a hole formed. Weather, salt, but most importantly the fact the heat hitting them is much higher than it was designed for due to the extra weight and stress of the rig being the most likely culprit IMHO.

Cats like anything will need to be replaced. there is no magical part that never fails, and that's an unfortunate truth. Fortunately for me, my state does not even require smog tests anymore. the only reason I even have a cat on my toy is to actually provide a wee bit of back pressure that would keep the stainless muffler behind it from also getting to hot and rusting out, so I went with a racing hi flow cat along with that muffler. Both are stainless and both will be eaten away in 7 years is my bet.

Edited by Totem

On 9/2/2015 at 9:19 PM, Kane said:

My Rig has 2 converters in line with each other before the muffler, is this normal?

Thank You

If you have recently replaced yours, post a link where's a good place to buy online, also the Flanges and Gaskets.

Thanks

heres an interesting thread on the same topic but with Broncos:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/73629-exhaust-thread.html

in this case it seems it has indeed been done before.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:30 AM, Totem said:

Oh man, I could have fun here on this comment. I will only say I disagree. All of my vehicles are over 250,000 miles of all different makes still have same or no cat and yet the toy home at 86,000 miles is on 3rd cat - this one a stainless steel.

One disintegrated the ceramic "honey comb", the next rusted away until a hole formed. Weather, salt, but most importantly the fact the heat hitting them is much higher than it was designed for due to the extra weight and stress of the rig being the most likely culprit IMHO.

Cats like anything will need to be replaced. there is no magical part that never fails, and that's an unfortunate truth. Fortunately for me, my state does not even require smog tests anymore. the only reason I even have a cat on my toy is to actually provide a wee bit of back pressure that would keep the stainless muffler behind it from also getting to hot and rusting out, so I went with a racing hi flow cat along with that muffler. Both are stainless and both will be eaten away in 7 years is my bet.

When I said a cat should last the life of the vehicle, I was not thinking of 250000 miles.  That said, cat's fail for a number of reasons:   Possible causes are worn piston rings, faulty valve seals, failed gaskets or warped engine components. Spark plugs that don't fire or misfire cause unburned fuel to enter the exhaust system. The unburned fuel ignites inside the converter and could result in a partial or complete melt down of the ceramic catalyst.

Have you considered "coring" it?

My oem CAT from my 1986 sunrader died somewhere around 70,000 miles. In fact it was one of the only parts to fail along with the air bags on it. My cars that are over 250,000 went through several cats and only the truck is straight piped. Cats all will eventually coat and fail just from running in cold weather also before the engine is up to operating temp.  I don’t disagree with the science behind a cat; just that it would outlast “these rigs”.  To me they are commonish fail items on 6-7 year life spans which almost all of our rigs have handily beaten in age.

Edited by Totem

Cats do not die they are killed. I live in Maine I have never owned a vehicle that had a converter fail I do not get rid of a vehicle unless it has in excess of 250K. Rich mix from failed parts, miss fire, antifreeze, silicone sealer gasket instead of the real gasket that's the kind of stuff that kills converters. Early on I have seen converters glow bright red from jammed chokes seen them so hot the set fires to cars but that was before the carburetor and the dinosaurs became extinct.   

Hmm well the oem one on my sunrader literally rusted apart from the OUTSIDE... was it killed? By michigan weather and age most likely.

Edited by Totem

12 hours ago, Totem said:

Hmm well the oem one on my sunrader literally rusted apart from the OUTSIDE... was it killed? By michigan weather and age most likely.

Early ones were not stainless.

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Was there not a EPA(?) requirement that all emission equipment have a 100000 mile warranty?

If there was an active warranty on my sunrader's cat I missed the boat on that, already paid to put in a stainless. Man THAT would be good to find out for the group here.

I don't know if it's changed since emissions controls were first introduced, but this is what's currently on the EPA site:-

" Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer......"

https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-transportation/frequent-questions-epas-office-transportation-and-air-quality

Well the 8 year limit does in most Toy MHs.

On 9/2/2015 at 8:19 PM, Kane said:

Thank You

Thanks

My 91 V-6 motorhome had the exact setup as yours,so I would think that is normal

I certainly believe you guys have the 2 catalytic converter set up but I can find no diagrams or parts list that show 2. Even the epic data Toyota parts site clearly says 1 per vehicle. Hope a dealer can come up with some better information

Linda S

There were two setups (emission related) I believe it depended  on the POE  of the truck some had two others had one.