Michigan - Toyo Meet And Greet

shibs

Did you see that there is already a Toyota RV Rally planned for the weekend of October 2-4 in Illinois? It will be south of Rockford and west of Chicago. Please consider coming if that is not too far for you to attend. Currently there are 8 reservations -- some are Toyota RVers who are coming from Michigan. I can give you their contact info if you would like to connect. See the previous post in this forum, if you haven't already, to read all the details. If the distance is farther than you are comfortable with, perhaps some others here will reply for your suggested location.

Tika

Hi folks,

Any interest in a Michigan Toyota camper meet and greet?

I was thinking Ludington State park camp ground.

There is a walmart and Meijer in town where you can park for free too.

Say early October?

I might be interested in taking my family over to it. Luddington is 230 miles south of where we live (we're not far from the Mackinac Bridge). No way would I ever go to Illinois - at least not on purpose. Of course I'd rather see it happen in a more rural area - but I realize that everyone has differing preferences. Just don't have the damn thing anywhere near Dee-Troit. If you DO organize one - do it before there is road-salt all over the roads. Once that happens - my rig goes into winter storage. And note - I mean winter road salt. They also salt the roads here in the summer (the dirt roads).

There was just a pretty neat classic RV rally a little north of me in the Michigan UP. Called the "Super Dooper Yooper Looper." It was a 10 day even when a whole bunch of classic RVs drove around the entire UP and camped somewhere different every night.

http://tincantourists.com/blog/2015/07/29/super-duper-yooper-looper-starts-tomorrow/

I go up nearby there a lot shibs and have also hit tika's rallys before too.. (when they were in Indiana and Wisconsin). I am with jde on this one... the only reason I go through Illinois is to get through it to go elsewhere. Nope I wont spend in Illinois until they get some change I can believe in (aka observing the second ammendment) heard they are making progress though, thanks to the courts.

I'll be up in copemish slaying deer with a crossbow Oct 1-5, but alas wont have me motorhome; I take the truck now for hunting. Ive usually winterized my rig by Oct-Nov and taken it off insurance for the winter. now NEXT year... I am all in.

Did you see that there is already a Toyota RV Rally planned for the weekend of October 2-4 in Illinois? It will be south of Rockford and west of Chicago. Please consider coming if that is not too far for you to attend. Currently there are 8 reservations -- some are Toyota RVers who are coming from Michigan. I can give you their contact info if you would like to connect. See the previous post in this forum, if you haven't already, to read all the details. If the distance is farther than you are comfortable with, perhaps some others here will reply for your suggested location.

Tika

Tika,

I just reviewed it, personally I can't make it, that location will be nearly 5 hours from me. I do not have enough confidence in my rig to take it around the 80 Chicago corridor, maybe after I do the suspension mods.

We will move our proposed date for mid Michigan meet a week so we are not on the same weekend.

I am not well versed in the camping locations in Illinois, most of us have concealed carry lic try to avoid your state, no offense. Maybe South Bend IN for the Great Lakes toyo meet, near the RV capital of the world. Maybe we can even get corporate sponsors :-).

Totem/JDE, I am open to any location that convenient for the attendees, we should keep it 2 to 2.5 hours of drive so it is 200 miles most.

Another member here is in South Bend, I will give him a call and see if he is free any weeks in October.

I love rural locations, don't mind dry camping. if you guys want to do some Salmon fishing we could do Benzie county in future years (gotta book early).

Please suggest locations.

I go up nearby there a lot shibs and have also hit tika's rallys before too.. (when they were in Indiana and Wisconsin). I am with jde on this one... the only reason I go through Illinois is to get through it to go elsewhere. Nope I wont spend in Illinois until they get some change I can believe in (aka observing the second ammendment) heard they are making progress though, thanks to the courts.

I'll be up in copemish slaying deer with a crossbow Oct 1-5, but alas wont have me motorhome; I take the truck now for hunting. Ive usually winterized my rig by Oct-Nov and taken it off insurance for the winter. now NEXT year... I am all in.

Bow opener will keep most members busy in MI,

You are just west of Bear lake, I am heading there before snow to scout for land to buy, maybe next year we can camp on my land!

My land is nearby bear VERY nearby. i'd host a rally there except I am trying to keep that land pristine and natural; its my hunting cabin. That being said there are sooo many camping options nearby and I think by far the best one (and VERY rural) is "Northern Exposure" campground - full hookups, is on the river with huge sandy beaches, boat launches, canoeing, fishing etc.

in fact many of us guys while hunting still go over to Northern and get a "day pass" which lets you go in and park even in an RV for the day to enjoy the river and amenities. we shower there etc.

the pass is 5$ per vehicle.

Northern is full hookup VERY nice and VERY pricey. now just down the road on same river there is another campground that is dry camping $10 a spot and what can be done is stay there and then day pass northern for the needful.

great area.

Bow opener will keep most members busy in MI,

You are just west of Bear lake, I am heading there before snow to scout for land to buy, maybe next year we can camp on my land!

I (we) including my wife, last kid, and dog, have 50 acres in northern Michigan about 15 miles from Rogers City and 5 miles from Posen (potato capital of Michigan). We are in an area about as rural as rural gets in nothern Michigan and our "back yard" is adjacent to miles and miles of state forest. Rogers City is right on Lake Huron and has miles of undeveloped shoreline and a big state park/campground (P.H. Hoeft). Got some room here if someone needed a spot to dry camp (that's all we ever do anywhere). Also have 10 acres on the outskirts of the city of Alpena (largest north-eastern city in MI). It's rural and right on the Thunderbay River yet nearly walking distance to Walmart and Home Depot (as the crow flies). Also by the shore of Lake Huron. We also just bought 60 acres in the in eastern UP in Chippewa Township near Newberry. Another place people (that I feel I know to some degree) can dry-camp also. None or our properties are suitable for any sort of big even but we certainly have places some for a few people to park and camp if needed while in transit to somewhere else.

Seems to me the issue is that different people like different things and finding a compromise area that most find worth driving too might be difficult??

For my family - we are used to living very rural and rarely travel anywhere less rural unless we REALLY have to. Since I am somewhat new to Michigan as well as our little boy - we like seeing new areas in the Michigan area (even the Ford Museum which is far from a "rural" area).

Maybe you'll want to tie your meet with some sort of event -man made or natural. I can name a few around here for the Fall. Others can cite what is going on in their area of Michigan.

Oqueoc Falls salmon spawning run (only recognized waterfalls in the lower peninsula of MI) salmon run late September, early October. Has a state forest campground.

Mackinac Bridge walk - Labor Day weekend. Led by our governor. Many campgrounds in the area.

Posen Potato Festival. Held in the Polish farming town of Posen. Very rural area about 8 miles from me. If you like Polish type fun or maybe everything that related to potatoes? Posen claims to be the potato capital of Michigan. Weekend after Labor Day weekend. Camping available - likely on local farmlands.

Time is getting short. Crap weather will be here soon. Deer, bear and/or elk hunting has no effect on my schedule. I got out for an hour on opening day of rifle season, shoot one deer, put it in freezer and I'm done with it. I don't bow hunt anymore. I don't hunt for sport either. I only hunt for the meat.

I just bought a rib-eye steak at the grocery store in Alpena and it was over $10 for one, 1 lb. steak. So, back to deer me for us.

http://www.michigan.org/property/p-h-hoeft-state-park/

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/presqueisle/ocqueoc/falls/

http://www.us23heritageroute.org/presque_isle.asp?ait=av&aid=297

http://www.posenpotatofestival.com/2015-posen-potato-festival-info.html

http://www.us23heritageroute.org/presqueisleevent.asp?ait=ev&eid=45

post-6578-0-29102700-1441302832_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-87392300-1441302833_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19726500-1441302835_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-59500000-1441302836_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-14020800-1441302838_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-61137400-1441302839_thumb.jp

I bet posen has some bad to the bone pasties... I am in agreement with jde, I always prefer less populous camping with the exception of safer areas that have an attracting feature, such as the Wisconsin dells.

I like hunting for meat also; do people kill deer and not eat the meat? if so that's silly. When I was in Germany couple years ago Venison was the most expensive meat on the menu at the nicer restaurants.

My clan and I eat squirrel and rabbit too; always crock pot it. next weekend there is a festival, the wheatland music festival, that has camping and all acoustic blue grass music. that could be fun but is $

Yeah, there are people that kill just to show off a trophy head and don't care about the meat. The minority of hunters, I assume. I suppose that dentist that shot "Cecil" the lion wasn't looking to fill his freezer with lion meat.

I hunted and trapped for the first 1/3 of my life. Ate muskrat, woodchuck, possum, raccoon, bear, deer, squirrel, rabbit, snapping turtle, etc. In fact - the place I sold my raw furs used to buy raccoon meat from me. Back when I was a kid, some grocery stores sold muskrat meat and called it "marsh rabbit."

I guess it wouldn't sell well calling it "muskrat meat." Same reason why fur coats made from muskrat were often sold as "Hudson Seal." Heck even goat meat is sold as "Chevon" I guess because "goat meat" doesn't sound appetizing. I've got nothing against hunters. Just lost my heart when it comes to killing things in most circumstances.

I was planning on going to the fall rally untill I saw it being held in IL. I just have a hard time spending money in a state with toll roads. I look at it like this, if I have to pay to come to your state then I won't spend money on gas, food, or what ever in that state, but if the state has no tolls then I have money to spend in it just not both.

I know it's kind of silly but that's just the way I am.

No tolls that I've ever come across here in Michigan except to cross the big Mac Bridge(designed and funded by New Yorkers). That and the costs to board ferrys if you want to go to Mackinac, Sugar, Drummond etc. Islands.

You want feel the bite of the toll roads, drive from Maryland to NY say long island and back. I think I could flown southwest and it would have been cheaper.

With the deer season impending and salmon season going on, I say we table the meet to Spring when the white stuff disappears before Memorial day, so we can get our pick of good camping spots.

My camper will be insured till thanks giving, unless the white stuff comes early.

I am all for rustic rural spots, you guys pick, I will follow. I can dry camp.

My vote would be to set it up to somewhat coincide with the "Super Duper Yooper Looper." Just pick a location that seems best (somewhere in the UP) and then date it so the "Yooper Looper" is in that area around the same time. Might be fun to see the many classic campers besides our little sub-set of Toyota Micro-minis. We ran into it this year totally by accident and serendipity.

My vote would be in the eastern UP somewhere near Grand Marais. #1 I'm biased since the place uses my French family name. Also there are many State and Federal campgrounds in the area on "inland" lakes and along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Not real far from the big Mac Bridge, Mackinac Island, Fort Michilimackinac, Oswalds black bear rescue ranch, and lot's more. If anyone is a fan of the Michigan-based Alex McNight novels - you can even visit Paradise (where the fictional character and his Indian sidekick Vinnie live).

This year the Super Duer Yooper Looper went like this:

July 30th, Straights Area State Park
July 31 – August 1, Grand Marais Woodland Park
August 2, Baraga State Park
August 3 – 4, Fort Wilkins State Park
August 5, Porcupine Mountains State Park
August 6, Bewabic State Park
August 7, Indian Lake State park
August 8, Burt Lake State Park

I'm interested in UP also.. My kids had blast last time we did the loop from mi to in to il to wi to up/mi then did mackinaw then back down to lower mi... But to me I would have rather just gone north to up and skipped the toll robbery of Illinois and Indiana . Lately I take 94 and non toll roads in Libby land of Lincoln anyway, it's not like the tollways offer an advantage to the speed of parked. In the up there is a park that has a crazy slide made in a farm psilo that some redneck hand polished stainless steel into a corkscrew that will spin you silly. Greatest slide ever. Free too.

This just showed up in Craigslist. Is this from the poster here or is it a different person? No phone # given; just a blind email reply via Craigslist.

Fall Color Tour For Vintage RVs and Campers

1978 Toyota Chinook

fuel: gas
transmission: manual

We are planning a fall color tour in our Toyota Chinook and would love to have like-minded people join us.

Where: The Oscoda-West Branch-East Tawas area, traveling a scenic loop and stopping at points of interest along the way.

When: Either the weekend of October 9-11 or the weekend of October 23-25.

How: We will be camping on Friday and Saturday nights. Although we will cook out we may eat breakfast/lunch at a restaurant - it all depends.

What To Bring: Your own food and drinks and a vehicle in good running condition!

Other Information: Details regarding the actual dates and itinerary to come. Everybody participating will be responsible for making their own campsite reservations - we'll make sure you get the reservation number.

If you are interested just send a response and we'll go from there! Toyotas, VWs, and other vintage campers/RVs are all welcome!

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/5212826756.html

I grew up in Illinois, not a concealed carry friendly state, and now that they have a concealed carry (pricey), they are using it to restrict gun usage. For example, in the past it was okay to have a rifle / shotgun on college campuses broken down and locked in one's trunk of their car, now one has to have a concealed carry permit to allow that. They used the concealed carry law to further restrict firearms. I used to hunt rabbit, squirrel, quail and pheasant growing up and while in college in Illinois, then moved to Indiana and lost most hunting opportunities. I purchased ten acres (5 of it woods) a couple years ago and is surrounded by miles of corn field. I will probably be hunting deer this year for my 2nd time ever. Regarding a rally in Michigan, sounds like a lot of great places, however I still have my Michigan State Park ban in place, the last park ranger I ran into was a real A#$ hole, I even reported the guy, nothing was done.

I suspect there are "bad" government employees in all states. I know there are plenty in New York. I have to say that here in northern Michigan - I've met some of the nicest state police in my life. Been pulled over several times for speeding and just given a warning since I was a "new" Michigan driver. In fact - I apologized to the last cop for appearing to have a "chip on my shoulder." I told him I'd lived in NY for 40 years and came to expect cops to be unfair and unfriendly. He got a big laugh out of that. I've had the same experience with many gov-workers (motor vehicle, post office, etc.).

I had one problem when I first moved here. I got a run around by a State judge in Lansing (NOT northern MI). He cursed at me (lot's of F words) and actually told me that he was in essence a "god" and was untouchable. I wound up calling the governor's office when Jennifer Granholm was in power. One of her people actually followed up on the event and gave the judge an official scolding. I also got an apology. He was and I'm sure - still is an a*s. Still - it was nice to see his higher-ups take some notice.

Never met a wildlife officer yet. I've seen them around but none have ever paid any attention to me. I've met many park rangers and most were young females - cute and very friendly. I suspect because they are actually local girls who like their part of the state. The vast majority of state campgrounds we've stayed at have volunteer host families watching over things. I've yet to see a uniformed park ranger at any of the campgrounds we got to. I HAVE seen them at popular and crowded natural attractions like Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, etc.

I was staying at a state campground near Holland that had access to Lake Michigan, we stayed there for 4 days and all was great until the last day.

My wife and kids went to the beach while I packed up / cleaned up the campsite. My dog (golden retriever) and I then drove over to the beach to

pick up my family that was to be waiting in the parking lot near the beach. I drove past a park ranger about 1/2 mile from the parking lot, and then

pulled in a parking spot for my wife and kids to met me at and after waiting for about 2 minutes the park ranger came flying up on an ATV, locked up

the tires and almost skidded into the side of my parked truck, and starting yelling if I was blind or could not read. I asked him what are you talking about

and he jumped off the ATV, yelled did you see the sign that stated no dogs on the beach. I stated yes, but I am not on the beach, I am just waiting in

the parking lot for my wife and kids to take back to the campsite. He stepped closer with his hand on his sidearm and yelled I should arrest you right

now but I am giving you 10 seconds to get out of here. I stated what about my wife and kids, and he stated leave now or be arrested. I left and headed

to the ranger station and asked for the head ranger, and luck would have it, it was the guy that stopped me. I told the park ranger in the office to

tell the guy that one of the rangers better retrieve my family immediately or I was going to call the state police in. At that point I was told I had 10 minutes

to retrieve my family, one second longer and I would be arrested. I reported this OO to the head of the Michigan DNR and never got a follow-up.

I probably should of just called the state police and my lawyer!

That sort of thing can happen virtually anywhere. I had a park ranger pull a gun on me at the State campground beach in Montauk, NY. I was riding a motorcycle on the beach which I guess is a high crime. In Canada - while trying to legally cross the border with all the necessary paperwork - a young "Mountie" recruit pulled me away from my wife, kid, and dog - at gunpoint. Locked me in a small room and "interrogated me" for an hour. This guy looked like he was fresh out of high school and eager to make his first "big" arrest. I did not respond "well" and the more I said, the worse things got. This guy acted like I'd just robbed a bank and killed a few people. Ends up he saw a "spot" on my USA police record showing I'd been arrested in 1969 and 1973, with no record if I'd ever been convicted of anything. So he wanted all the details including which prisons I'd served time in. When I told him "none" he got even madder. Jeez. I thought for a moment he was going to shoot me right there. Finally his boss came in - a girl who looked maybe 21 years old? She told me that if "I'd just tell the truth they'd be more lenient" with me and MIGHT not put me in jail to await a deportation hearing. I broke out laughing (big mistake). I told this Canadian chick I could spit out their window and it would land in the USA. If they did not want me in their country - why not let me go back to the USA? After a few hours - they gave me an escorted "walk" back to the USA border building. They told me if I ever try to cross into Cana-duh again - I will immediately be put in jail. That is - unless I give them some money and buy a "waiver." Then they will be glad to let me in. No thanks. I'm sticking to the USA.

I am curious Dennis, I know you and your family we've met at a couple rallys you are good people;

and my family had a similar experience in the UP also ... everything except the "banned from Mi state parks". did they actually ban you for an infraction of having a dog? If they did that's not legal, you can challenge that.

No need for a lawyer, you can report that ranger for violating his job code:

http://michigan.gov/documents/ParkandRecreationRanger_12435_7.pdf

"Develops and maintains good public relations with the general public" this is in the job description for level 9; which is what his position is a head ranger. Clearly he is in violation. Also I checked into the "ban for life" from parks; I could find no such thing in Mi on the books; did they issue you a citation as such?

and my family had a similar experience in the UP

Where in the UP? I can see this sort of thing happening in central or southern MI. Can't say I've ever had a bad experience at any campground in the eastern UP. Which one did you have the bad experience? I've never even seen a park ranger yet at any of the UP places we got to. Just volunteer "hosts" who live at the campground.

No I had my german shepherd with us on a boat and ran ashore on a beach near pictured rock to throw her rubber duck fetch toy and let her take a dip but still be able to touch the ground (she was old, shes dead now). Technically she only ran onto the beach to retrieve the duck and swam back to our boat that was sand moored at the time off shore... same exact thing happened; atv riding park ranger on steroids and with side arm came raging onto the beach and yelled at us. The main difference with me was that we were in the water at the time; riparian law; as long as my dog had water under her toes he could do nothing. I wasn't about to come to shore and let him hand me a ticket. he sure did threaten me with one though, I yelled that the dog was not on the beach that she was swimming and he was mistaken. he was welcome to swim the citation over to me if he wished. he declined and we roostered out of there. the area was state land; some park most likely the nearest one to pictured rock.

we were in the water at the time; riparian law; as long as my dog had water under her toes he could do nothing. . the area was state land; some park most likely the nearest one to pictured rock.

I don't know exactly where you were but much of that area around Pictured Rocks is National Lakeshore and controlled by the National Park Service - not people from the state of Michigan. Regardless - Riparian law is rarely clear and had taken up a lot of time in courts for years. I'm not saying you were wrong or right. Nor am I making excuses for any ranger for being a A-hole. But it certainly is not clear that you can defy what ever beach rules exist because you are in the water and your feet are not touching bottom. Especially if it Federally protected water (not sure what the status is).

Like i said he was welcome to swim out and hand me the slip or try and "arrest me" as i wasnt about to swim to him... Water was like 60... Yep could have been a fed. Either way my boat and crew were legally in lake huron i think it was. Dog never went past the 1 foot deep part of the lake onto the beach before she came back.

Like i said he was welcome to swim out and hand me the slip or try and "arrest me" as i wasnt about to swim to him... Water was like 60... Yep could have been a fed. Either way my boat and crew were legally in lake huron i think it was. Dog never went past the 1 foot deep part of the lake onto the beach before she came back.

How the heck did you get anywhere near Pictured Rocks and touch any Lake Huron water? That is Lake Superior.

that's it, lake superior. shows how good my memory was. it was years ago. was definitely UP because after we fled that beach brake we went into picture rock and got honked out of it by a tour boat.

I was staying at a state campground near Holland that had access to Lake Michigan, we stayed there for 4 days and all was great until the last day.

My wife and kids went to the beach while I packed up / cleaned up the campsite. My dog (golden retriever) and I then drove over to the beach to

pick up my family that was to be waiting in the parking lot near the beach. I drove past a park ranger about 1/2 mile from the parking lot, and then

pulled in a parking spot for my wife and kids to met me at and after waiting for about 2 minutes the park ranger came flying up on an ATV, locked up

the tires and almost skidded into the side of my parked truck, and starting yelling if I was blind or could not read. I asked him what are you talking about

and he jumped off the ATV, yelled did you see the sign that stated no dogs on the beach. I stated yes, but I am not on the beach, I am just waiting in

the parking lot for my wife and kids to take back to the campsite. He stepped closer with his hand on his sidearm and yelled I should arrest you right

now but I am giving you 10 seconds to get out of here. I stated what about my wife and kids, and he stated leave now or be arrested. I left and headed

to the ranger station and asked for the head ranger, and luck would have it, it was the guy that stopped me. I told the park ranger in the office to

tell the guy that one of the rangers better retrieve my family immediately or I was going to call the state police in. At that point I was told I had 10 minutes

to retrieve my family, one second longer and I would be arrested. I reported this OO to the head of the Michigan DNR and never got a follow-up.

Some criminals wear a uniform and carry a badge,

CO,Ranger, what the flip you call are not all the same. You were harassed. The guy was a power trip. But in the heat of the moment I would keep quiet and follow direction and then step out the park gate and call state police and the local tv station at the same time.

I am sorry you had this happen but animals are allowed on camp ground and parking lots and has to be on a leash.

The problem is the beach.. Its some kind pf draconian law because of extreme fear oh pooh even though all the regimes dump pooh in the lakes and rivers and the EPA dumps heavy metals from mines in them in the name of "protection" ... But hey the dog pooh might get on the rangers jack boots and he cant have that...

We've come across many parks and campground where dogs are not allowed at all. Just went through that this week at Sleeping Bear Dunes "Federal" Park near Traverse City, MI. We didn't stay very long since we had to leave our dog in the truck and it was pretty hot out. At least in the state of Michigan - you are ALLOWED to leave your dog behind. When I lived in Vermont -it was illegal to leave your dog in any vehicle, for any amount of time - ever.

We were in the New York Adirondacks last year and pulled in into the Brown Tract state campground (near Blue Mountain Lake). The "host" came out - saw we had our dog in the truck and started freaking out. THERE - according to her - it is a violation just to drive in there with a dog inside the vehicle. Needless to say - we left.

Having a dog has never been an issue for us yet at any state campground in the UP. Federal campgrounds in the UP - yes. In fact, we had to pack up and leave at the Blind Sucker campground a few weeks ago near Grand Marais. Two spots down from us a family had six big dogs - none on leashes and they kept coming over and bothering our dog. Campground host did not do a thing about it (regs say the dogs must be on the campsite unless on a leash). So in that case, we left because of too many dogs, too close.

The Lake Superior state campgrounds all along the wild shoreline of Lake Superior are also very dog friendly.

Where I live - in the northern tip of the lower peninsula - most places are also very dog friendly -including the Lake Huron beaches. Even the local Home Depot here allows dogs in the store. ANY dog - not just "helper" dogs.

On my toy trip to Maine, we stopped for a night in Salem Mass. I experience the opposite of Dogmatic fear of dogs when going to the pier at Salem we walked our German shep down the beach, leashed, and the pier was packed with people... when we got to the pier I saw a huge "NO DOGS" sign and then saw 2 cops escorting a woman and man with a miniature poodle off the pier telling them "No dogs". we started to turn around and the police turned their gaze on us.. one of the two officers called us over and told us that our dog could walk the pier... "really?" I asked.

"yup", "I will ALWAYS let shepherds on this pier"... he went on to tell us as he walked our dog (he took the leash, making my shep look like a drug dog) that he had a shep in Iraq and that it had saved his squads life along with a short story about some crazy stuff where the dog found a bomb and trip wire they didn't see. we just sheepishly walked behind the officers as they walked our dog all the way down to the end of the pier and back and they told us how much they love the breed. Both of them had sheps at home they said. My wife and kids and I were completely dumbfounded but loved it.