dolphin overdrive do you use it or just leave it off? any benefit ? I guess in the flat it might be ok but it seems to constantly down shift at the slightest incline. any one notice more mpg or less?

thanks

On my 1988 Toyota 20' Minicruiser with 22RE engine, and original 4.10 rear - OD was pretty much useless at speeds of 50 MPH or more with the auto trans. I changed the rear-axle gears to 4.56 and now I can drive most anywhere in OD. No gain in MPGs. Just a quieter engine and now have more pulling power in 1st gear. Nice to have a real 4 speed auto now instead of a 3 speed.

There were several road tests done on 20-21 foot Toyota RVs with the 2.4 engine , auto trans, and 4.10 gears. All the ones I have read showed lower MPG in OD then when in 3RD . One test of a Winnebago showed 2 MPG less when driven in OD.

I can confirm that lower mileage when using overdrive on the 22re. Drive to Sacramento a lot and highway 5 is long, straight and flat. tested it quite a few times with overdrive and without when I first got my Sunrader. Always better with it off. I never turn it on now

Linda S

Yes I use it often, depends on the road and how fast I'm going, and the weight I'm packing. I would rather have the rear end ratio JD has, it will make the od MUCH more usefull. Maybe next year...

I have a V6 - it is pretty much useless. When I control the accelerator I can sacrifice speed (momentum) as I go up grades and recover it on the way down. The CC tries real hard to keep the set speed which hurts fuel mileage and cause a lot of downshifts from OD. If on really flat land it works fine.

I've got the V6 and use the O/D when it's feasible (ie south TX or similar); my fuel economy definitely drops if I just turn it off long-term. O/D keeps the noise level more manageable too.

I worked hard to turn the overdrive in my Warrior V6 into something useable. I now have 4.56 gears, K&N intake, 2.25 exhaust, upgraded 4 hole fuel injectors and my timing advanced to 13 degrees. I can now cruise all day in Overdrive with very little downshifting.

I worked hard to turn the overdrive in my Warrior V6 into something useable. I now have 4.56 gears, K&N intake, 2.25 exhaust, upgraded 4 hole fuel injectors and my timing advanced to 13 degrees. I can now cruise all day in Overdrive with very little downshifting.

A stock gas or diesel engine runs 15-25 degrees advanced when running down the road. What do you mean by "13 degrees" advance? Seems to me no matter what you do - the electronic knock sensor with retard the timing anyway if i hears any pre-ignition knocks or pings.

Much depends on the compression ratio and octane of the gas ( 22RE has a knock sensor that will automatically retard the timing within a certain range if deemed necessary (by hearing pinging).

So, I'm trying to clarify what you have done to your's. Did you bump up the static timing (engine at idle speed or not running) or did you somehow change the timing advance curve to actually change "running advance" when going down the road? I know on my 1988 22RE, just a few degrees of extra advance makes it ping and exceed the capabilities of the knock sensor. So to do so, I have to use high-test. I've run MPG tests both ways. Stock timing with regular and more advanced with high test. NO difference on mine for fuel mileage.

What is supposed to be the advantage with a four hole injector? A single hole stock pintle injector has a pretty wide spray pattern. Whatever the pattern is - it is not injected when needed. Just sits there in the until the cylinder is later ready for it.

I can confirm that lower mileage when using overdrive on the 22re. Drive to Sacramento a lot and highway 5 is long, straight and flat. tested it quite a few times with overdrive and without when I first got my Sunrader. Always better with it off. I never turn it on now

Linda S

I drove around 22 miles rolling hills in my 85 sunrader 22re,

I liked it without the OD, just a little bit noisy.

ok, question for tranny gods:

1. using OD will it heat the ATF more?

2. OD had locker? or does it slip and cause more clutch wear?

3. shifting in and out of OD, what kinda wear and tear are we talking?