Microwaves And Generators

pinkflydxx

Although I rarely boondock camp, I recently did and noticed that when I tried to use the generator for electrical power to operate the microwave, it would not heat properly (barely at all even after several minutes).

When I returned home, I connected to shore power and the microwave performed properly. I duplicated the problem with another microwave (both are relatively inexpensive and 600 and 700 watt units) using the generator, and then shore power.

After doing a little research, I found that this is not an uncommon problem when using microwaves on RV generators due to "dirty power" or cycles, etc. as some microwaves are very sensitive to the quality of the electricity they need to operate.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and do you have any suggestions or solutions, short of expensive modifications? Thanks.

4 different gensets over the years and never an issue! Don't know if it was the micro or the gensets?? Running on inverter power everything worked very well except the microwave clock, it was erratic on the modified sine wave. Jim

Although I rarely boondock camp, I recently did and noticed that when I tried to use the generator for electrical power to operate the microwave, it would not heat properly (barely at all even after several minutes).

When I returned home, I connected to shore power and the microwave performed properly. I duplicated the problem with another microwave (both are relatively inexpensive and 600 and 700 watt units) using the generator, and then shore power.

After doing a little research, I found that this is not an uncommon problem when using microwaves on RV generators due to "dirty power" or cycles, etc. as some microwaves are very sensitive to the quality of the electricity they need to operate.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and do you have any suggestions or solutions, short of expensive modifications? Thanks.

Yes it is common with smaller non-inverter generators. Many make poor AC voltage. It is mostly a problem with microwaves with digital controls. If you buy one that is fully mechanical - it will work with portable generators MUCH better. Just not always easy to find one. Walmart had a big sale last winter and had mechanical microwaves for $35 each. I bought one and love it but now wish I'd bought a bunch more.

AC voltage is supposed to be 170 volts and the highs and lows of each Hertz Cycle. Most of the small generators I've tested only make 150 volts. Too low for sensitive electronics like microwaves and many conventional battery chargers.

One other option is to get a Panasonic Inverter microwave. Pricey though. Don't let the word "inverter" fool you. Different meaning then when we speak of inverters to make AC from DC. A conventional microwave runs full wattage even when set on low. A 700 watt microwave can use 1400-1500 watts when cooking on low. The only microwaves that truly run on "low" power when set on "low" are the Inverter series. Last I checked, only Panasonic makes them. I have one in one of my RVs. Works great but the cheap mechanical-switched microwaves for $35 also work well.

Yes it is common with smaller non-inverter generators. Many make poor AC voltage. It is mostly a problem with microwaves with digital controls. If you buy one that is fully mechanical - it will work with portable generators MUCH better. Just not always easy to find one. Walmart had a big sale last winter and had mechanical microwaves for $35 each. I bought one and love it but now wish I'd bought a bunch more.

AC voltage is supposed to be 170 volts and the highs and lows of each Hertz Cycle. Most of the small generators I've tested only make 150 volts. Too low for sensitive electronics like microwaves and many conventional battery chargers.

One other option is to get a Panasonic Inverter microwave. Pricey though. Don't let the word "inverter" fool you. Different meaning then when we speak of inverters to make AC from DC. A conventional microwave runs full wattage even when set on low. A 700 watt microwave can use 1400-1500 watts when cooking on low. The only microwaves that truly run on "low" power when set on "low" are the Inverter series. Last I checked, only Panasonic makes them. I have one in one of my RVs. Works great but the cheap mechanical-switched microwaves for $35 also work well.

Thank you for the info. When you say "fully mechanical" are you primarily referring to the rotary dials as opposed to digital keypad styles? I see various smaller units that have "mechanical" (rotary dial) controls, but I am not sure that this would qualify as a "fully mechanical" microwave (i.e. possible digital operational components within the unit).

There are various rotary dial microwaves available from $60 to $100. Not sure I really need to make this purchase considering our infrequent boondock camping - but if I see one at a good sale price, I may just make the investment with the knowledge that this should fix potential future issues.

"That's because most microwaves operating on 50 percent power switch off and on between 100 percent and 0 percent power to achieve that 50 percent average. Instead, the inverter tech maintains the low power level throughout the cooking process. Supposedly, this makes all the difference."

My Onan runs the original microwave fine as well as the AC and will run both (at sea level or close) at the same time, when it draws max the microwave pulls twice the amps as the AC...

My Onan runs the AC and the micro wave at the same time no problem also. There are feroresonate power supplies in a microwave they can take a big hit with a dirty sine wave that some cheap generators will produce.