Onan 2.8 Microlite Genset Install In 1990 Toyota Itasca It319Rb

The rocker switch uses 3 wires one way cranks the engine the other way shuts the gen set off very simple wiring you can copy the wiring from the existing switch on the generator. Many installs used a 30 amp female RV outlet connected to the generator 120 volt output very simple transfer switch the RV cord plugs into the added outlet use a #10 copper wire or better.

Where is your power cord. The only Winnie I've looked at had the power cord in the same compartment as the Kohler but to the right of it. Little wall separating them. Power cord looked like it wouldn't have been to hard to relocate.

Linda S

You did well, nice looking genset and good price. I am surprised at the price of remote, I was thinking in the $250 range! Transfer switches have come way down in price over the years. 15 years ago because of the cost I built my own. Now they can be bought for under a $100 on Ebay.

They also sell selector switches. Jim SW FL

I'm going to stop by the local Onan dealer and see how much the wiring/switch kit will be. If it's reasonable I may just install the Onan kit.

As for the transfer I'll see what was done before as the previous generator was a Kohler so they would have to have something installed before. Perhaps they just did it manually like you described. I already have to fire up the water heater from outside. What's another trip outside to fire up the generator? Get's me some fresh air and me out of bed in the morning if I need to toast my Eggo's.

Just leave it plugged in until you camp at a place that has power that way you can run it driving nice cool living area when you get where you are going.

• 7 years later...