I'm wondering if any of you 22RE gurus can help me figure out what's going on w/ my 87. Here are the symptoms:

1. gutless performance until maybe 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, then bam, plenty of power.

2. no flat spot between acceleration and deceleration - what I mean by this is, if I'm going downhill, give it enough throttle to accelerate, then back off, it's either accelerating or decelerating - I'm unable to get the throttle in a more "neutral" position where the engine is neither working nor braking - it's either accelerate or decelerate, w/ nothing in between.

I have no idea if these two symptoms are related. As a matter of fact, symptom #2 seems to ALWAYS happen, and symptom #1 is only occasional, but getting more regular. I've downloaded a bunch of "how to"s for the TPS, the MAF sensor and other EFI-related stuff and plan to start testing later this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm just wondering if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone and, if so, where the best place to start looking might be.

Thanks.

Yeah, #1 isn't really like any of these. Imagine putting it into 1st gear and flooring it. There's no power. Slowly the rpms increase until about 2/3 my normal "going-uphill-then-back-off-so-it-can-shift" speed and all of a sudden it's got power again. It's a real noticeable, sudden change from no power to power w/ no change in throttle position.

Check ignition timing.

I would say could be timing but there is plug under the hood on the right side you have too short 2 points together in it . because some of the timing is computer controlled . and you can then use a timing light and losen the distributer. and turn it I had a very simler problem to you on my other Toyota 87 4WD XTRA cab.jd CAN MOST LIKLY DIRECT YOU BETTER THEN I CAN. or wme

Yeah, I plan to visit the timing when I get there. Unfortunately, a head gasket leak was allowing exhaust into the coolant so I'm pulling the head to redo the gasket. I've also had a persistent oil leak out of the timing chain cover, so I'll be redoing that, as well. I'll be replacing hoses, belts, a screwy coolant sensor, etc., etc., all the usual suspects Once I get all that back together, I plan to go through the EFI system and see if I can get the whole works running better than it was. I suspect the MAF sensor for my acceleration problem. It doesn't happen all the time and, when it does, messing with the connector sometimes cures it. I've ordered a new connector I can splice into the harness. And so it goes....

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I replaced the MAF Sensor connector a couple of days ago and (knock on wood) the problem seems to have been resolved. Also had to reset the timing since I also had the dist. out when I replaced the head gasket, timing gear, chain, guides, and cover last weekend.