Tank Level Indicator

chaejohn

As an RV'er and only my opinion and experience. The previous owner got so frustrated with the monitors that they cut the wires! Fresh water monitors can be fussed with and made to work for a while. Black water tank monitors can be fussed with and made to work till the first time the tank is full!

On my last motor home I put a fancy hi tech tank monitor in after a couple years the panel went bad a new one was $$$$$$, and it was much smaller and did not fit the original hole! I did not bother replacing it!

A flashlight held up to the side of a white poly fresh water tank will show the level in it, the same flashlight shone down the toilet will show the black water level. Or you can spend money and time on them. Up to you.

After a time you will develop a sense of when the tanks need attention. Only my opinion and worth what you are paying for it. Jim

I have a 1987 Sunrader. The tank level indicator wires have been cut at each tank, the water pump and battery indicator are still workin. Does any one know if there just one wire coming from each tank?

I don't know what which of the two types of systems the Sunrader uses. Either relies on two wire connections at the tanks. Some (with probe sensors) ground one wire and one has to run to the monitor. Probe-types have small sensors attached to the tank. The other type is capacitive and use metal foil glued to the outside of the tank with two wires soldered to it.

The only ones I know of that are reliable are See Level if you really want to know what's in the tanks they are worth the $200. They are external (not a foil type actual printed circuit) so nothing to foul the sensor if I remember correctly they will do a tank as small as 4" deep they are cut to size so any plastic tank you might have can be measured with accuracy. If you have a propane tank with a float it will measure that too.

post-669-0-14577200-1439391068_thumb.jpg