1978 Dolphin Axle Safe?

AnarchyintheAK

Having a hard time figuring out if the rear axle on this 78 Dolphin is safe. It's a 5 lug single axle. Guy wants to trade it for my slightly larger 85 Dolphin with the upgraded dualies.

If this one is good to go, I'd rather have the smaller rig with the single tires on the rear. Seems to have better clearance and would be easier to lift a bit for travels in Baja.

Thoughts?

post-8179-0-15682100-1439322490_thumb.jp

post-8179-0-97383800-1439322507_thumb.jp

Well it is old but there were no recalls on the single axle Dolphins. They used a wide rear tire instead of the fake duallies so they didn't put the extra stress on the wheel bearings. Hard to find wide 14 inch tires now but I know at least one that might work and it's a D load tire.

Linda S

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/maxxis/205-14+maxxis+ue-168+%28n%29+bravo+series+109%252F107q.html

It should be a standard Toyota 5 lug pattern so I have no idea why not. Just don't buy a wheel with a big off set. You want the mounting surface to be as close as possible to the center of the wheel. Too big in the front might be a problem steering but I don't know how big is too big. The guys will post soon I'm sure and they know everything. LOL

Linda

Toyota or Ford Ranger 14" an d 15" wheels fit. Some 14" and 15" tires have the same diameter and rollilng circumference. That being said, a 185R-14C or 195-14C is plenty rugged enough for that camper. The single rear wheel toyota cab & chassis trucks in the 80s have near the same rear axle weight rating as the duallies and use 185R-14C tires (actually a 185/80-R14 size). If you want your gear ratios to stay the same and speedo to work right - you want to use the tire close to the 27" diameter the original L60s had. In 1988, a single rear wheel Toyota rear axle with 185R-14C tires (185/80-14) had a gross axle rating of 3700 lbs. with tire pressure at 65 PSI. Same year, the dual rear wheel version had a gross rear rating of only 50 lbs. more at 3750 lbs.

But if you really want the look of wide rear tires - Goodrich makes a 245/60-14" that is wide and in the correct diameter range.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in love! Finally saw it in person yesterday. SO much more clearance than my 85! It's basically like driving my ford ranger, really sporty. Why weren't these shorties more popular? I guess a slide in is about the same size and more versatile, but I LOVE this. I'm losing a lot of storage and interior space, but she's so stylish. Feels like a real classic rather than just an old RV, ya know?

The early model toys with the 20R motor and 4 speed transmission are real durable. My 1979 on a 1978 chassis runs great.

Keep in mind this vehicle is 37 years old. I would want to see what type of maintenance has been done before I made the purchase.

I can almost guarantee you the crank oil seal will go, unless its been recently replaced. I would also plan on replacing the rear axle bearings and seals.

A good mechanical check can end up saving you lots of money.

Good Luck. Fred

I'm in love! Finally saw it in person yesterday. SO much more clearance than my 85! It's basically like driving my ford ranger, really sporty. Why weren't these shorties more popular? I guess a slide in is about the same size and more versatile, but I LOVE this. I'm losing a lot of storage and interior space, but she's so stylish. Feels like a real classic rather than just an old RV, ya know?

They were popular enough that there are still a lot of them on the road. I see them fairly often in Seattle.