Stock Horizontal Propane Tank Filling Problem

Totem

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Propane is laced with ethyl mercaptan that is what makes it smell it is a compound that is part of what makes a skunk stink. It hangs around long after the propane has evaporated. It would be a real good ideal to leak test it regardless, kids bubble mix makes a real good mix if there is a a leak it blows really nice big bubbles.The fixed horizontal tank I have filled all ways have a smell that hangs on for a good while because of the way it is vented.

• 7 months later...

***UPDATE***

Welp.. the weather has been nice so i dropped the tank and wrenched on the fittings coupled with a couple of visits to 2 propane shops...

the results and what I have learned:

Tighter fittings wont seal. You MUST get MORE dope or tape.

-I had put 1 full turn on both leaking fittings and they both leaaked as bad or worse after.

SOOoooo:

I did what someone in here had advised and removed the leakers and did both Teflon Tape AND pipe dope and put back on the main offender; the original fuel gauge plug. I noticed that I was able to tighten it less and get a perfect seal.

oddly enough those were sealed and another one sprung a leak that wasnt leaking before.

So now they will all come out to get a tape and dope combo.

...To be continued...

not sure if leaks seeps n weeps or intermittent electrical issues are the biggest PITA on old vehicles....but it's definitely one of the two! 

I feel for ya....recently had to add pipe joint compound to transaxle drain plug on the 04 Sienna because it was leaking all the ATF out despite new gasket, high temp grease on plug, and tightening with a torque wrench to spec.  WTF.....it';s a Toyota, not a Triumph.....

20 hours ago, 5Toyota said:

cant wait for your next update

will be soon, I'll be pulling the remaining leaking fitting tonight and taking to local propane place - the one with the angry guy. I had a great experience the other day went there and old cranky angry guy was gone. they had a new guy there now. When i paid for my gas they looked at my credit card and laughed.. I have exact same name as the guy they let go; small world.

This project is done.  Leak test passed and tank recertified. The tank took 8 gallons of propane! (Never would take that much with the old autostop) Impressive all mounted and all good.

so great to here it is good to  go . and now you are a total authery on rebuilding one of those tanks.i never heard of the junk autostop until I fixed my       frends. and as for junk people at propane plant we had one hear to was an old bag of a women. I here she is gone too  the kind of people who are so nice you never miss them .

yup and I successfully fixed the stock propane level gauge also. the teeth had worn so i took needle nose pliers and bent the cogs out a bit more to ensure they spun together. the guage reads full now. first time i have ever seen that.

Keep this knowledge a secret or you will become known as the "propane tank expert" and have strangers banging on your door.:P

the only thing I am the expert at around here is being the best most handsome awesome intelligent strongest fastest and conceited narcissist  to ever rule over planet universe.

:lol:

On 9/9/2015 at 10:09 AM, Derek up North said:

Maybe (in hindsight) take it in for testing before reinstalling it?

This^ is actually the gospel. anyone attempting this would be best served to take tank in and test it prior to mounting.

• 1 month later...

Good job getting 33.6# in a 30# tank best I ever did with mine was about 7 gallons.

No it has a bleeder it's a 30 lb. tank if the bleeder is closed when it should be it will take 30 lb. or a little over 7 gallons. Too much is a risk of liquid in the system.

well maybe he spilled some and or the scale odometer was off.. either way its been running my fridge non stop for the past 2 weeks with no issues gauge still showing full.  So is your tank oem 87? or did you replace?