Outside Rear View Mirrors

My outside rear view mirrors on my 1992 Warrior are woefully inadequate. it is like they should have been mounted 6 to 12 inches further forward on the cab. I have to lean back each time to check out who is gaining on me (everyone is gaining on me in this rig :rolleyes: ).

Who has installed different mirrors on their rig?

my dolphin does not have the stock mirrors they were gone when I got it. someone put west coast style one piece long ones on it. I had to put on extensions made from conduit. and more bracing because they would fold in while I was driving it. also the arms that were on it where too short. I also put on 2 big round convex magnifying mirrors. can't you adjust yours so they are better. I also put one of those stick on magnifier lens on my bathroom window I would not be without it. but it makes cars look farther back then they are.

you may not be able to see the pict by my post . the former nut who ever it was made extension brakets out of hardware turnbuckles ugly and worthless. because the arms that are on there are not the right arms they are way too short. they were built with 4 heads all that and the right arms were gone. we clamped the conduit mashed flat on the ends and drilled and then moved the west coast heads out now I can see behind me. they are tall and swivel on the top and bottom. up on top of the arms right at the top of the mirrors I clamped 3 inch round convex mirrors. they had small stick ons on the bottom of the big mirrors I left those on there. the round ones on the top are adjustable they really help with blind spots. that pict is older does not show the round ones. and is before we made the extensions. I had to add more braces from the doors. now they stay put.

This is what was on my rig when I bought it. It does work well. On the passenger side a square piece of aluminum tubing was added as you can see in pic. I would not know where to buy them, I have heard them referred to as western mirrors.

post-8092-0-82351500-1438181044_thumb.jppost-8092-0-21284300-1438181106_thumb.jp

left click to enlarge photo. HTH Jim SW FL

those are the stock mirrors and the stock arms other then the add on piece. napa auto parts and others sell the heads.

Here you go - Previous owners put the far view mirrors above and far forward mounted on angle iron on the overhead cab. Does compromise the seal in a way but I can see the edge of the back end of my rig to a "T" and can back park on a dime.

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

post-6384-0-34995700-1438316410_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-81686900-1438316443_thumb.jp

Velvac makes all of the parts needed to replace our original style mirrors if you want to go that route. This includes the mirror heads, clamps, frames etc. This is their website:

http://www.velvac.com/sites/default/files/velvac_product_catalog.pdf

When I replaced my mirrors they had everything except the U shaped tubing and the straight arm braces. The dimensions of those that they had did not match my 91 Dolphin. :(
Had to sand prime and paint after some straightening, they make a spray can clear coat and I really liked the look of the finished arms.

PS: use stainless steel mounting washers,nuts& bolts, no more rusting.

Oh, wish I had known that, I thought I heard they were not avaiable. I have done over mine twice as I didn't get all the rust out the first time.

Do they fit the newer Dolphins exactly , so you can use the original door mounting brackets??

I got the same issue. Been looking around for replacements rather than re-painting. My Mirrors look ok but the rest of the hardware is pretty rusted. I just did a quick search for the one Linda linked. I found some stainless mirrors I like. Will likely fabricate new mounting hardware if I can get a hold of some stainless tubing cheap enough. A winter project perhaps. I've already measured them out. Got the dinette on tap this fall first.

I will repaint mine, but a couple of the clamps are rusted away, should not be too hard to find. Famous last words.

I'm looking forward to the dinette photos. Jim

Thanks Don, but that does not look anything like the one on my 93?

Other than that the mirrors are mounted inside instead of outside the loop arm they look pretty darn close to me. Of course remounting them to the outside is simple. I have emailed the company for exact measurements. The request for new mirrors comes up a lot. Be good to know if we have a match here or not. I'm sure everyone who needs new mirrors would like to be able to mount them without putting new holes in their truck. Let you know

Linda S

I have contacted Sure Plus and the loop arms I posted are not the right size. The salesman who contacted me and I discussed our difficulty in finding replacements for quite a while though.

I gave him the measurements for my loop arms but I would love it if someone with a V6 model could do the same. Length of top and bottom arm from door and height where the mirrors attach.

When I told him how many members there are on both of the large groups he decided to bring it up with his managers. I don't think they even realized the market potential here. If they decide to do it they will be all made in America and of high quality chrome with mirrors and door brackets to match

We might get lucky

Linda S

Thanks. Same as mine so he has all the info he needs. Seems they have had that mini truck size available for years but sell almost none of them. I said people on our groups are always looking for replacements. Makes much more sense to make them for us than the other size for no one

Linda S

• 9 months later...

The Velvac 757015 is the stainless steel version of the door frame painted brackets that came on our motorhomes.  I just installed a set on mine, after painting the original tube support bars.  They are hard to find, I found these on eBay (finditparts).  I also replaced the original rusty mirrors with Velvac's stainless steel ones too (704093 and 704095).  The original door self taping screws are available in stainless steel here locally at Orchard Supply Hardware (sort of pricy at almost $2 each, pictured), though the 757015 comes with all hardware you will need.

IMG_20160515_1710558_rewinds.jpg

Edited by Allen
Updated picture only.

I find the stock mirrors on my 93 winnie warrior adequate.   I aim the straight vision a little outside of the outside length of the camper - essentially after positioning so I can see the body in the edge, then move out a little farther.

I also open the blind in the bathroom.  With the fish eye membrane installed I can see quite well out of the center rear view mirror.  

Add in the 2 fish eye mirrors and I think I can see fairly well.

The only downside is that the exterior mirrors do create a blind spot - have to remember to look around them so as not to miss a pedestrian or a even a vehicle hiding behind them.