Toyota Hilux Motorhome Homemade From Argentina ( Construction )

Hi Motorhome Friends My name is Gonzalo, I'm from Argentina region of Patagonia and a couple of years ago we started building our homemade motorhome on a Toyota Hilux 1992 2800 cc diesel.

81Vzznvh.jpg

izmHALc.jpg?1

kQClpvl.jpg?1

SAqsk43.jpg?1

we stretch the chassis 55 cm

barely we finish we will carry out an ecological project called Hagamos Eco (can find more information in Spanish in www.hagamoseco.com.ar)
To summarize it is a journey from Argentina to Alaska performing tasks aimed at raising awareness about caring for the environment.
Right now we are building our future home and leave you some pictures to see what you think.
egIdcK2.jpg?1
Cheers
Gonzalo and Carolina
gst2BeQ.jpg?1
JE595CA.jpg?1
In this moment we are starting with the structure

zapardo amigo!

I did this trip in reverse, starting in California and driving to Patagonia. you have a beautiful country! We built a simple sleeping platform in the back of our 4Runner. It was great for a while but we would have loved to have an indoor eating/living area for those Patagonia winds!!! good call on the Toyota, you can never go wrong with them.

480534_436366723123221_970186920_n.jpg?o

If you have any questions on the route/borders/whatever hit me up on our facebook page, http://facebook.com/homeonthehighway

that good experience !! I think I read something of you in Drive the Americas.

Surely we do not have major problems with Toyota just chose this model because there are worldwide.

Good that you liked my country! They came to Bariloche? that's my city.

I like yours, some years ago I complete Route 1, all California finishing in Las Vegas.

Thanks for offering information or data on border crossings, on the trip we will surely go to consult you.

I saw some pictures of your Facebook really lead the life we want, everything in nature respecting life, Tell me about what has happened to his truck was kidnapped by police.

Wait for your answer

regards

Gonzalo y Carolina

Looks like you got a good start keep sending pictures!

Thank you! we will continue the day-to-day construction

Gonzalo

that good experience !! I think I read something of you in Drive the Americas.

Surely we do not have major problems with Toyota just chose this model because there are worldwide.

Good that you liked my country! They came to Bariloche? that's my city.

I like yours, some years ago I complete Route 1, all California finishing in Las Vegas.

Thanks for offering information or data on border crossings, on the trip we will surely go to consult you.

I saw some pictures of your Facebook really lead the life we want, everything in nature respecting life, Tell me about what has happened to his truck was kidnapped by police.

Wait for your answer

regards

Gonzalo y Carolina

yes we went to bariloche, spent time camping at Camping Petunia, lots of time in the lakes district, beautiful area

the truck is good, we brought it home to United States, shipped from Zarate to Veracruz, MX.

we are about to sell it now :( I will miss her very much.

But now we have a dog and looking for a little bit more room, the Toyota camper seems perfect, just wish it had 4x4!

oh and regarding the police

in Buenos Aires, a motorcycle hit us and they impounded the truck (Clasurado)

they said they would have to keep it for a few weeks to work out the details, we lived in it and had no time for that

had to bribe the police chief a bit to release her back to us quickly. $75 USD, or ~1000 pesos at the time, we got her back and headed straight towards Mendoza. Wine heals all wounds.

zapardo amigo!I did this trip in reverse, starting in California and driving to Patagonia. you have a beautiful country! We built a simple sleeping platform in the back of our 4Runner. It was great for a while but we would have loved to have an indoor eating/living area for those Patagonia winds!!! good call on the Toyota, you can never go wrong with them.480534_436366723123221_970186920_n.jpg?oIf you have any questions on the route/borders/whatever hit me up on our facebook page, http://facebook.com/homeonthehighway

Hey I followed your thread over on Marlin Crawler. Nice to see you over here. That looked like a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking the same. Real nice job of fabrication, but weight builds up fast when using steel tubing. Aluminum is the way to go if a person can afford it and has a heli-arc or TIG welder. I've found that building an RV body with light-weight materials and keeping it strong is VERY difficult. Boat and RV makers have struggled with that issue for years. I hate to think how much weight I added to my 1978 Chinook by just re-doing the floor and I DID use a lot of aluminum C-channels. The original system that Chinook used had very innovative honey-combed sort of rigid card-board and a thin veneer of plywood. Made a very light and strong floor until any part of it got rotten. Aluminum is a real pain. Difficult to weld and then you've got the worry of joining dis-similar metals and creating a sort of electric-charge machine that eats itself up with electrolytic rot. I'm waiting to see how the new aluminum-body Ford trucks make out after they see 10 years of road-salt and water. I think Ford is using all sorts of insulators wherever the aluminum touches steel and also lots of glue and rivets.

I was thinking the same. Real nice job of fabrication, but weight builds up fast when using steel tubing. Aluminum is the way to go if a person can afford it and has a heli-arc or TIG welder. I've found that building an RV body with light-weight materials and keeping it strong is VERY difficult. Boat and RV makers have struggled with that issue for years. I hate to think how much weight I added to my 1978 Chinook by just re-doing the floor and I DID use a lot of aluminum C-channels. The original system that Chinook used had very innovative honey-combed sort of rigid card-board and a thin veneer of plywood. Made a very light and strong floor until any part of it got rotten. Aluminum is a real pain. Difficult to weld and then you've got the worry of joining dis-similar metals and creating a sort of electric-charge machine that eats itself up with electrolytic rot. I'm waiting to see how the new aluminum-body Ford trucks make out after they see 10 years of road-salt and water. I think Ford is using all sorts of insulators wherever the aluminum touches steel and also lots of glue and rivets.

Derek up North And jdemaris
Thanks for your answers and your concern for helping our project.
We are very clear that the weight we load our truck key, unfortunately in my country (Argentina) aluminum this project was too expensive so we decided to make a strong structure.
inside we will make it as light as possible, both appliances and interior coating.
While this Toyota Hilux factory came to support 1000kg, with some modifications that we make in the suspension that supports hope to reach 1200kg or 1300kg.
I love that you can help with advice, continue with that
Cheers
gon and carol

Inside we will make it as light as possible, both appliances and interior coating.
While this Toyota Hilux factory came to support 1000kg, with some modifications that we make in the suspension that supports hope to reach 1200kg or 1300kg.
I love that you can help with advice, continue with that
Cheers
gon and carol

2004 Hilux in Australia has a gross vehicle weight rating of 2820 KGs. That is with the same rear you have and 195r-14C single tires in back. Model: TGN16R-TRNDKQ3

South American version with same 5 lug semi-floating rear axle is rated for 2650 KGs. That with single 205R-16C tires in back. Model: TGN36C-TRMDKG3

European version is rated 2645 KGs with 195R-14C single tires. That has single 195R-14C tires in back.

2004 Hilux in Australia has a gross vehicle weight rating of 2820 KGs. That is with the same rear you have and 195r-14C single tires in back. Model: TGN16R-TRNDKQ3

South American version with same 5 lug semi-floating rear axle is rated for 2650 KGs. That with single 205R-16C tires in back. Model: TGN36C-TRMDKG3

European version is rated 2645 KGs with 195R-14C single tires. That has single 195R-14C tires in back.

Are you as a book of models !! haha very good information you are submitting me
Still do not know, let's see how it is becoming the weight but it is possible to put dual wheels at the rear, it is something that we have decided.
Thanks for all,
keep in touch
Gon y Carol

Get it weighed before the next phase of building. That way you will have an idea of how much the house can weigh before causing problems.

It is much better to build lite, than to try and make it lite after its built.

Yes sir, we have that in mind at this point so far in the structure weighs 100 kg, we put a tank of 100 liters of pure water and one of 30 or 40 black water, then with respect to the coating we will do with some very light and what is cooler weighs about 50 kg, calculated the kilos have enough with what we are interested in equipping our house.

keep commenting

Regards

Gonzalo

Some very impressive Toyota based motorhomes are made right in Argentina.

http://vehiculo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-567899179-mini-motorhome-toyota-hilux-4x4-_JM

Linda S

Hi Linda, yeessss a very beautie motorhome, made in Argentina, i like so much but i talk with that "brand" and if i give the 2015 Toyota Hilux, based in U&S60.000 Dolars here, they Build the motorhome for anothers U$S 75,000 dolars.

are they so crazy, we talk a U$S 135.000 Dolars Motorhome, and i bougth my Truck U$S 7,000 Dolars and i have planed calculation spend an estimated U$S 20.000 Dolars more!!

Regards

6200#?

6200#?

The Toyota when sold in Thailand has a GVWR of 2875 KGs. I.e., 6338 lbs. In Europe it's 2700 KGs and in Australia it's 2820 KGs.

The Thailand truck is model: KUN15RTRMDYT3 Uses single 205R-16C or 255/70-15C tires.

• 3 weeks later...

The fabrication looks great. One question though . . is all that square tubing steel? If so, that's going to be one heavy rig.

Thanks for the compliment, but steel is all anger was covered with aluminum compound (alucubond) what is going to make much lighter structure.
So as you see in the pictures we have 250 Kg, 500 Kg estimates remain closed and do not forget we're going to put dual wheels
Regards
!

• 2 months later...

• nice work. you definitely built something no one else has. and while it may be heavy, the frame won't shake itself apart on bad roads and I pity anyone who hits it in city traffic.....

Ya Baby! Thank you!! we are glad that you like as the project goes, we follow with pictures!

Merry Christmas!!

Roy in Florida

for the floor we are using phenolic eucalyptus fiber treatment to make it waterproof,

xOZ6z75l.jpg

LQXmueXl.jpg

Regardss!

Merry Christmas to you also It's all most that warm here in Maine! Well that might be an exaggeration keep up the good work.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...