Need A New Water Heater

I might need a new hot water heater for my 87 Seabreeze. Original is an American Appliance which it is no longer around. Does anyone have a suggestion on what would fit? I believe the cut out is 12" W x 12 1/2" high. That was the inner measurements of the heater, not the flange. Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm that upgrading to the new suburban unit is a direct swap? The back of my "American Appliance" unit has a propane hookup on it. From all the pictures I've seen of the suburban units, I can't see a propane hookup on the back side.

I am looking to replace also. I beleive I have a 12 x/x" X 12 x/x" cut out as well.

If I upgrade to the electronic ignition is it going to be a pain to hook up? I'm not quite sure what I'm getting in to, but I know I don't want a wet floor anymore.

Your burner and pilot and everything are on the front. I've never seen one with propane going into the back. Mine is also American appliance and I have the manual. OK just looked. Might look like gas supply is coming from behind because it comes through the front panel from behind. It just goes down then right behind the panel to your propane source. As far a size. My water heater door jumped ship so I had to buy a Suburban door. Exactly identical in every way

Linda S

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the thread jack. I thought it was more appropriate to utilize an already existing thread rather than create a new one for the same topic.

I think I'm going to strongly think about deleting the unit. I think my boondocking days will be limited. If I do decide to boondock I will try to look into a gravity fed solar water heater (big black PVC tube or bag, etc). I will try to locate a more relevant thread for info on that.

Thanks once again Linda for your infinite knowledge!

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the thread jack. I thought it was more appropriate to utilize an already existing thread rather than create a new one for the same topic.

I think I'm going to strongly think about deleting the unit. I think my boondocking days will be limited. If I do decide to boondock I will try to look into a gravity fed solar water heater (big black PVC tube or bag, etc). I will try to locate a more relevant thread for info on that.

I have never used a water heater in an RV. If you think about it unless your cold weather camping the water is not cold. It's at the same temp as the inside of the camper. If I can swim in a lake I can wash up with water at that temp. Waste of propane. Dishes wash up just fine too

Linda S

I only heat mine up ocassionaly to test it, like to keep everything working. Was thinking it's 6 gal of extra white water.

But if you run the white tank down will the pump push that last 6 gal out ? seems to me it won't. Anyone ever tried this???

No they don't run dry. That's why you have a drain directly on your water tank so you can completely empty it for cold weather. On the other hand in an emergency, truck overheating or something like that, if your fresh tank is empty you know you can get to that last 6 gallons from the front of the heater.

Linda S

You can buy a commercially made flat panel solar water heater to put on top of the rig. They run off a small solar powered pump and circulate the water through your hot water heater as part of the loop. Just do an internet search to find them. They use them on boats too.

The big black PVC tube solar heater on an RV is a terrible concept. You don't have enough surface area for the volume of water and you create a dangerous situation where you have a large volume of water rushing around in that big tube whenever you brake or accelerate. That can tear the tube off the roof possibly damaging the roof in the process. Lots of fools try it and post videos about making them but truthfully it is not a viable concept. Just because they posted a video about making it does not mean it actually worked out over time as a reliable system. They try adding baffles but never get that right either. You don't use large tubes to create solar roof top water heaters, you use smaller diameter tubes and most especially so for a moving vehicle.

Yeah I was just using examples.. I think my idea for a black garden hose wound in a spiral on the roof will provide a better "heater" design on the hot tin roof and the weight will be spread evenly. Of course it take a lot of hose to create a lot of hot water, but a small amount of hot water can go a long way for hosing soap out of your hair, which is really the only thing I can think of that would make hot water worth the trouble. If I don't get around to experimenting with it, I won't lose any sleep.

And yeah the tanks don't drain completely off the pump....learned that when I removed my heater last week... I though I drained it but apparently something was clogging the drain plug or something.

Now I just need to find some diamond plate for cheap and cap off the 12"x12" hole in the side of my RV. And yes, I capped off the propane line.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Suburban is still in business in Dayton TN. I bet they could help you out. http://www.suburbanmanufacturing.com/

Suburban Manufacturing

676 Broadway St
Dayton, TN 37321-112

Phone: (423) 775-2131
Fax: (423) 775-7015

Essentially these units are certain dimensions, when you take the old one out you can measure what size hole you have. The dimensions are probably labeled on the one too.

Check out PPL motorhomes too. they have lots of that kind of stuff. If you don't see what you want online call them too.

here is a good starting point: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heater-parts-1.htm

• 1 month later...

Mines playing up too, american appliance 6500015 thermostat not working, think I'll upgrade to electric ignition! Hmmm electric element add on for water heater! Do you need the solar water panels for this to work? I'm guessing yes.

Electric heater for W/H is 115v A/C only. They are usually 400w

Edited for oops

Wow I found a spendy 4 season tankless water heater for an rv! 4x more expensive than a typical suburban BUT it sounds great for my winter ski camping trips.

http://www.precisiontemp.com/rv-and-trailer/rv-550-wall-vented-tankless-water-heater-for-rv-and-trailer/

Wow I found a spendy 4 season tankless water heater for an rv! 4x more expensive than a typical suburban BUT it sounds great for my winter ski camping trips.

http://www.precisiontemp.com/rv-and-trailer/rv-550-wall-vented-tankless-water-heater-for-rv-and-trailer/

Alternative for half the price. Technically they all can be four season as long as you never turn them off. Even the one you posted says it needs to be drained for winterizing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=tankless+water+heater&_osacat=50067&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgirard+water+heater.TRS0&_nkw=girard+water+heater&_sacat=50067

Linda S

Your heater have a 1" NPT opening? Got a spare 200w worth of solar panels? If your running off our alternator that's 14 amps of load.

This heater is designed for a home installation as a wind power dump load.

Better have some good batteries! A 200 watt water will take a good while to make hot water most are in the 1200 watt range.

I never could understand the tank less water heater for a camper yes you have endless hot water but not an endless supply of water! The pilot light in my heater actually over night makes the water a little too hot so basically after one 20 minute full heat run it's good for the next morning. It takes a good deal of propane to make instant hot water, in a house it makes sense because you don't have to keep 40 gallons or so of water hot 24/7. If you are camping where it's cold you'll have to heat the camper or your water will freeze any way. My next trick is going to be trying to use the fridge heat to help keep the camper warm for cold weather camping.

My 4104 bus had a water heater that used engine coolant circulated thru the tank to heat the water as you were driving.

Also my Cortez used the same method.... Both of these worked quite well. I'm sure that this method has been used elsewhere.

Any good fabricating shop can build the tank for you & the plumbing part is not that difficult either...Donnie

Heat exchange water heaters are often found on boats. Seward and Atwood are the most popular. I considered this option for my Tiger Provan because the heater space is right behind the drivers seat and I wouldn't have to run the coolant lines very far. About the same price as a propane water heater but if you don't want to run your engine you'll need electric hook ups to heat your water. Jason remember your Sunrader originally had a 4 gallon water heater. The 6 gallon one won't fit. Too deep and the seat gets in the way. Replacement is a Suburban SW3 model. Not made anymore but there are still some on ebay.

Linda S

Yeah they make them close to $200 more than a plain gas one not including all the water lines from the engine seems like a lot of effort to heat 6 gallons of water.

• 3 weeks later...

A year before we quit cruising we bought one of these for our boat: http://www.isotherm-parts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_34_107&products_id=1991

Way spendy for an RV, but it IS an awesome water heater for a boat. No propane, but that's a good thing on a boat - propane is heavier than air, so it tends to settle in the bilge and, if not purged, can cause an explosion.

Every time we ran the engine we had hot water - I would love to have a heat exchanger hot water heater on the RV.

A year before we quit cruising we bought one of these for our boat: http://www.isotherm-parts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_34_107&products_id=1991

Way spendy for an RV, but it IS an awesome water heater for a boat. No propane, but that's a good thing on a boat - propane is heavier than air, so it tends to settle in the bilge and, if not purged, can cause an explosion.

Every time we ran the engine we had hot water - I would love to have a heat exchanger hot water heater on the RV.

Find a wrecked or salvage Lesharo. They have heat exchange water heaters. A wrecked Rialta will too. There are some on eBay and not crazy expensive. The drawback is if you don't want to run the engine you need a generator or someplace to hook up

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=atwood+heat+exchange+water+heater&_sop=15

Linda S

My 4104 bus had a water heater that used engine coolant circulated thru the tank to heat the water as you were driving.

Also my Cortez used the same method.... Both of these worked quite well. I'm sure that this method has been used elsewhere.

Any good fabricating shop can build the tank for you & the plumbing part is not that difficult either...Donnie

Winnebago used that system in the Phasars and Lesharos. I have a couple of those heat-exchanger tanks in my barn. Kind of a neat system. I suppose it could be a mess though if that internal tubes ever sprung a leak and that toxic antifreeze got into the domestic water supply.

I didn't know if I should high jack this thread or start a new one.

I just picked up my '87 Dolphin, and had checked all propane appliances beforehand, but didn't have water available. I found out this AM that water is leaking from the hot water tank. I haven't investigated really close, but don't see anywhere else around it the water might be coming from.

And for a second question, Linda mentioned that the clean tank water will be coach "room temp" anyway... If I'm connected to city water, the shower cold water would the be the temp of the incoming water, right - not the temp of the water in the tank? I'm in Portland, OR, and the weather is getting a bit chilly.

Edited by a2ndopinion

It is very common for the bottom of the water tanks to develop pin holes in the bottom of the tank fixing them seldom works. A new tank is very close to the price of the complete unit. Yes on the water it will be what ever temp the source is.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I figured as much. I think I'm going to go with a tankless heater then.

I didn't look close at the valves this morning, and won't get back until late tonight. Are there valves so I can shut off/bypass the water heater?