In a nut shell, is a receiver hitch mounted cargo rack a viable option on the rear of a 1991 Itasca, V6 with rear duals?

I worry about that long overhang and if the receiver ( 2") and body framework can take 2-300 lbs on the back.

Your comments and advice would be gladly received.

Thanks!

One of the reasons I bought the toy was of the 21' length. My original plan was to add a box to the rear for a small genset and very light items. I have a light duty 1" hitch and was going to use that with 2 frame extension to mount bumper to like Don did. It is doable but not for more than a couple hundred pounds.

Now I am having second thought's by adding to the length of the vehicle I am negating one of the reasons I bought it. Not saying i will not do it, exploring different ideas for now. Another thought is to put a removable box on, take off for local trips and on for long ones.

Nothing chiseled in stone yet, just thinking. Jim SW FL

One of the reasons I bought the toy was of the 21' length. My original plan was to add a box to the rear for a small genset and very light items. I have a light duty 1" hitch and was going to use that with 2 frame extension to mount bumper to like Don did. It is doable but not for more than a couple hundred pounds.

Now I am having second thought's by adding to the length of the vehicle I am negating one of the reasons I bought it. Not saying i will not do it, exploring different ideas for now. Another thought is to put a removable box on, take off for local trips and on for long ones.

Nothing chiseled in stone yet, just thinking. Jim SW FL

I am creating a mounting box for my Honda 1000i Gen set that sits right on top of my bumper. I don't want to put a hitch on underneath of my rear bumper as the ground clearance is already low enough that it will hit on a steep grade.

During my interior renovation I reinforced the back wall of my Sunrader by adding a plywood plate on the insides while I had the interior wall removed. I used Okume marine plywood that is strong enough to hold screw threads or I can bolt through it if needed. I used the same thickness of plywood as the cavity behind my wall panel which in the Sunrader was 5/8" on that area of the wall. But I used no void, very strong Okume plywood for the job, not weak construction plywood that has soft cores.

Next chore is to mount a couple of cross wise tiedown rails to the rear wall that accept slide in fasteners. That will allow me to securely mount other items such as a cargo box, bike rack, chairs, table, etc. I have seen this aluminum mounting rail system track on the back wall in photos of some of the European RVs. I like its versatility. Some of the roof rack cross bar tie down systems are similar to the European C track versions. Since it is a project for the future I have not purchased the railing yet so can't quote a source for it. Just one of those projects where I know I will be doing it so I prepared for it while I had the interior wall paneling removed.

I use a hitch carrier when I take my boat with me. Zodiac type. I use an aluminum hitch carrier so it's pretty light and my boat and motor come to just a little over a hundred lbs. Altogether including the carrier probably 150lbs. Ya know I have seen so many Toyota's with boxes on the back and towing stuff. I don't think I remember anyone ever saying it all fell off or broke or they dropped their bumper somewhere on the road. I think it's a use your own good judgment thing. A few months back I saw a very old Dolphin towing a full sized truck with a camper on it. Boy did that look strange

Linda S

I had my rear bumper rebuilt and reinforced. I had the welder add a 2 inch receiver to the TOP of my bumper. I had him put it on the top because the only thing I was going to use it for was a light bumper carrier with a plastic box mounted to it. I carry a couple of lawn chairs, my leveling blocks, and 2 very small plastic tables. I may have 70 pounds tops on there.

I had my rear bumper rebuilt and reinforced. I had the welder add a 2 inch receiver to the TOP of my bumper. I had him put it on the top because the only thing I was going to use it for was a light bumper carrier with a plastic box mounted to it. I carry a couple of lawn chairs, my leveling blocks, and 2 very small plastic tables. I may have 70 pounds tops on there.

I can't put a hitch on top of my bumper due to interference with the propane compartment lid. Such is life ....sigh

I just returned from a trip down to the bourbon trail in KY ( great freedom state!!!) where we did mammoth and diamond caverns, holiday world in Indiana (another awesome state) and a few other cool scenes. The whole way my Harbour freight bumper mounted hitch hauler (aluminum version) carried 2 kids bikes, a rubber made two seat kid wagon and a harbor freight predator inverter generator strapped in it. Rig had no trouble but I too have a reinforced rear. I also ran my Coleman Mach 3 rooftop AC successfully Again this summer with the trusty supco starting capacitor in 97 degree heat! Don't let people tell you what you can't do. Do what you like but check your frame and test things with a short trip with someone watching out the back. I've seen people load hitch haulers down and simply run a truss up to the roof antennae and back down to each of the haulers corners out of a ratchet strap not much play or bouncing at all. We boon docked in both of those states without anyone refusing permission, ah the joy of good non police states!

I have one on my dolphin bought at harbor frt. it is a steel model use to carry my thetford 18 gallon xtra waste. tank or camp tables. a prevous owener reinforced my rear hitch and bumper. might carry a propane tank or a gas can. not a lot of wt but good for light hauling. and easy to remove if not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Former owner of my '91 Warrior, with the assistance of a friend who's an engineer (FWIW), bolted and welded in a hitch from an F-150. I haven't got it doing any work yet, though he used it to pull a very small 2-wheel trailer to Alaska. I had the guys at the suspension, spring and frame shop evaluate it. They stuck a steel bar in the receiver. The bar hung out the back several feet. The heaviest guy in the shop bounced up and down on it, and they detected no flexing in the frame. Not a scientific study, but maybe a real-world indication that it's pretty good. Been thinking about carrying a small scooter of some kind, but I've just gotten on the road for the first time and want to get the hang of things before trying something new.

I have one welded on to my ranchhand front bumper on my 1998 12 valve ram.. I have a hitch mounted winch so I can winch in rear or front. if I put bikes on the front I would put shower caps on the seats at least to keep em bug free.

• 10 months later...

I have a Harbor Freight hitch rack (the cheaper steel one) $40 on sale, with a $70 plastic outdoor storage box from Lowes. I mounted the box to it with slotted angle iron to allow space for the spare. Went around the country, 10k miles and kept things dry and secure. Originally wanted to use a truck tool box but it blocked my licence plate.

It would drag going in and out of parking lots or sudden steep grade but just sounded bad, never hurt anything. With this exact setup a 5 gallon gas can fits on both sides of the box, or a camp bbq, or one on each side like I did.

Plan to use a hitch extension with a higher mount point to help with dragging once on the Sea Breeze but the Dolphin had horrible ground clearance.

tumblr_nzxo4yMH1C1upzapco6_540.jpg

panda+dolphin.jpg