I don't know if it worked me over more than I worked it over, but I'm close to ready to head out for a nice adventure. New Bilsteins, LoadLifter 5000 air bags, leaf springs re-arched and a helper added, new brakes all around, new rear drums, all fluids updated with Teflon stuff, tune-up, alignment. Interior has new Allure vinyl floors, new upholstery, window coverings, new countertops, new cabover surface, front windows and roof molding re-sealed, 100 watt solar panel, two 6-volt and one 12-volt deep cycle batteries, MPPT controller and 1500 watt inverter. New shower, toilet, bathroom sink. I am tired and poor, but eager to hit the road. Thanks to the members of this forum for helpful tips and information!

post-7959-0-24690300-1437424548_thumb.jppost-7959-0-65063200-1437424553_thumb.jppost-7959-0-33985500-1437424558_thumb.jppost-7959-0-84605400-1437424562_thumb.jppost-7959-0-51619700-1437424567_thumb.jppost-7959-0-78614200-1437424571_thumb.jppost-7959-0-24191700-1437424576_thumb.jppost-7959-0-98780100-1437424580_thumb.jp

The Interstate shop here sells a battery box that's made to hold two 6 volt batteries (about $70); I mounted it under the rear dinette seat and vented it to the outside. Hated to lose the storage space, and hoping the trade-off turns out to be worth it. Similar to the photos halfway down the page in the first page of this post:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8047

Impressive work. You could hide the inverter under the wheel well (right side). Where are you heading on your adventure?

It's very good! When I bought it and drove it home to ABQ from Colorado Springs, it was wallowing around like a drunk hippo (I guess, never having actually seen one) and with all the new work and adjustments, it's capable of going places I'd not have tried before. No bottoming out on driveways so far. I'd say it was raised about 6 to 7 inches in the rear and maybe 4 - 5 up front. I had to go buy a folding step to get in and out comfortably. And the stability on the road and in crosswinds - just no comparison to how it was before.

It's very good! When I bought it and drove it home to ABQ from Colorado Springs, it was wallowing around like a drunk hippo (I guess, never having actually seen one) and with all the new work and adjustments, it's capable of going places I'd not have tried before. No bottoming out on driveways so far. I'd say it was raised about 6 to 7 inches in the rear and maybe 4 - 5 up front. I had to go buy a folding step to get in and out comfortably. And the stability on the road and in crosswinds - just no comparison to how it was before.

:cool: would love to see some pictures of how it is sitting if you have the time

Ah well - apparently, the radiator shroud was broken earlier and repaired - with electrical tape, which is typical of their work - by a former owner. I didn't see that, the mechanics who went through the engine in February didn't see it. Yesterday, going up a hill on I-80 30 miles west of Laramie, it came loose. The shroud flexed into the (plastic) fan, which shattered, tried to come out through the hood, and trashed the radiator. I am becalmed for likely almost a week. But eventually I'll post before/after of the way it's sitting.

Impressive work. You could hide the inverter under the wheel well (right side). Where are you heading on your adventure?

Nam, sorry I missed your question. I'll be in Wyoming, Montana (for most of the trip), WA and maybe Oregon. Sort of my typical summer road trip, but first time in an RV!

post-7959-0-64034200-1438484535_thumb.jp

Wow , I never thought about that before, will check ours for cracks. Easy to repair if necessary, but not with tape.

Yep - never thought of inspecting it closely, hope the information saves someone else from the same problem. One bit of comic relief: the roadside assistance insurance company didn't tell the towing company it's a Toyota, and they sent the biggest tow truck in Wyoming :-)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150730_182059603.jpg

Yep - never thought of inspecting it closely, hope the information saves someone else from the same problem. One bit of comic relief: the roadside assistance insurance company didn't tell the towing company it's a Toyota, and they sent the biggest tow truck in Wyoming :-)

That's funny!

That is an impressive difference in ride height. Hope it rides and handles better.

Communications between road service and there contractors is very poor. The one time I used it they sent the service to the wrong location. Would simplify things greatly if they allowed us to talk to them!

Jim SW FL

Jim, when I drove it home from Colorado Springs it wallowed around a fair bit, but now it's pretty tight, and with the new airbags, not bad in crosswinds either. Good ground clearance, too. I have GPS so was able to send the tow company exact coordinates when I stopped, but the driver had a challenge hooking up something as small as this. Breezy ride back to town at 80 in that huge rig; felt like there was nothing back there. Now I'm on the road, I'm finding the Toyota very comfortable (for one person) and easy to live in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 1991 21ft Mini Warrior, and it was very unstable in windy conditions on our maiden trip. I would like to duplicate your lift solution, and I would like to have model numbers/sizes of the helper, and leaf springs. Anything else you recommend would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Nancy L

I just purchased a 1991 21ft Mini Warrior, and it was very unstable in windy conditions on our maiden trip. I would like to duplicate your lift solution, and I would like to have model numbers/sizes of the helper, and leaf springs. Anything else you recommend would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Nancy L

Getting any suspension work done that it needs will definitely make it better. But it is not an aerodynamic car it is a great big box on tiny little wheels easily affected by wind. Given the option I stay off the road on very windy days.

Jim SW FL

Ours was like that on the trip home totally empty. After new suspension, steering, front end bushings, shocks, steering dampener, tires and alignments drives great. I was forced to run it in windy conditions on the Grapevine, I-5, and 580. It's not a problem. Have yours checked out, probably needs the same work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I didn't raise it intentionally. The frame and suspension shop that installed the Bilsteins for me adjusted the torsion bars and performed an alignment, all of which had the effect of raising the front maybe a couple inches. Overall, very happy with the ground clearance and the ride, now. The frame shop also rather bungled the installation of new LoadLifter 5000 air bags - the right one was losing ten pounds a day, and they told me, "oh, that's normal". Puh-leez. I took it back, they said they fixed it, and nothing changed. Finally took it to a great shop 1100 miles away, D&D Auto in Ennis, Montana, and they had the fitting changed and the leak put right in the time it took me to do laundry down the street. Makes a huge difference in crosswinds and on curves and crappy roads.

• 6 months later...

Do you have any details on your bathroom remodel?  I'm in the process of gutting mine now to install some new tile board panels, just looking for as much info as I can get.  Also need to replace a rotted out roof beam...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be so tardy in response. I made sure the walls in the shower were solid - had to do a wood repair in the outer corner - then covered the walls with very typical white fiberglass reinforced panel from Home Depot, such as you see in bathrooms and wet areas everywhere. Made a pattern for the curve of the upper wall and corner with heavy brown paper and transferred it to the panel, cut, and mounted with waterproof adhesive. Silicone caulk to seal at all edges and under any screws, and I'm happy with it. Good luck with your project!

Dan

On 5/1/2016 at 3:54 PM, DanRT66 said:

Sorry to be so tardy in response. I made sure the walls in the shower were solid - had to do a wood repair in the outer corner - then covered the walls with very typical white fiberglass reinforced panel from Home Depot, such as you see in bathrooms and wet areas everywhere. Made a pattern for the curve of the upper wall and corner with heavy brown paper and transferred it to the panel, cut, and mounted with waterproof adhesive. Silicone caulk to seal at all edges and under any screws, and I'm happy with it. Good luck with your project!

Dan

Thank you!

I recently bought the same FRP paneling from Home Depot, will get to installing it soon hopefully.

On 5/1/2016 at 3:54 PM, DanRT66 said: