Shocks For My Sunrader 85

shibs

I need to help the sunrader handle better and I want to swap out the shocks.

What are my options and does anyone have part #s please.

on that note, I am thinking of changing the bushings too.

How many are there to change? how involved is it?

Thanks,

first do you mean rear spring shakle bushings . new shocks come with the rubber parts.for the most part the more you spend the better shock you get . KYB MAKES A GOOD SHOCK. IF YOU ARE OK FOR MORE MONEY the bilstean IS SAID TO BE A TOP SCHOCK. BAD OLD SHOCKS ARE VERY DANGEROUS. AND CAN CAUSE LOSSOF CONTROL. I put kyb on the front have not changed the rear yet.the ones I removed were total junk. I also have a Toyota 4wd xtra cab I bought 4 of the super stiff heavy duty car quest shocks on it stiff as a board.it rides a little hard but not with a load of junk in back. have not done spring work. for the moter home most parts are the same as a truck

The shocks on my 93 were junk, the bushings were a mixed bag of so so, bad and OK, so I replaced them all. My steering damper was also scrap metal and was replaced. It is a big job, I hired it done. Looking at the options I picked the KYB shocks and ordered them from Summit Racing. The front end parts were a mix of good and bad also, as long as it was apart I replaced everything, including brake pads and repacked the bearings.

This might be the bushing kit for your 89, to give you an idea of how many can be replaced. I am not sure it is the right kit for your Toy?

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/182004

HTH Jim

I replaced the bushings and shocks in my driveway. Did not seem too hard despite not having any previous experience. Bilstein shocks and Prothane bushings. Three bushings per spring.

One shock was gone and one at 50%. Two bushings worn down to nothing.

The result is the Warrior now handles like a sports car (relative to the previous state) - steering tracks tightly in the turns compared to the loosy-goosy version.

I still have not gotten around to changing the bushings on the rear springs. The ones that are on there now are hard as a rock and probably just about seized. I know that new bushings would help the ride out just about as much as the air ride suspension did.

We took ours to Les Schwab for all the shocks, bushings, steering dampener, alignment, etc, at the same time and WOW what a difference. :) They used the KYB heavy duty units.

Replacing rear shocks is a piece of cake in my opinion. Replacing rear spring-shackle bushings is a huge pain in my opinion, although much-needed on many of these aging rigs.

Haven't attempted the front shocks yet, but it's on my list!

I replaced the bushings and shocks in my driveway. Did not seem too hard despite not having any previous experience. Bilstein shocks and Prothane bushings. Three bushings per spring.

One shock was gone and one at 50%. Two bushings worn down to nothing.

The result is the Warrior now handles like a sports car (relative to the previous state) - steering tracks tightly in the turns compared to the loosy-goosy version.

I am experiencing the loosy-goosy sloooshy ride now,

I am trying to visualize 3 bushings per spring, what spring are we talking here pls?

Here is the part # for bilstein

front

24-184830 (F4-B46-1772-H1)

rear

24-002585 (F4-B46-0258-H1)

I could not find kyb heavy duty monomax part #s, but they are only about $5 less than the bilsteins

I am experiencing the loosy-goosy sloooshy ride now,

I am trying to visualize 3 bushings per spring, what spring are we talking here pls?

Each rear leaf spring has three bushings: two at the shackle on the rear of the spring and one at the front.

Thanks,

Do we have a rear sway bar also?

I do. My Sunrader is an 86 and the sway bar is not a stock Toyota one. I do believe it came from the Gardner-Pacific plant like that though. A real pain finding bushings for that. I must say that when it wasn't connected right the sway in my camper was horrible even though my shocks were fine.

Linda S

My front shocks took me about 1 hour from the time I started getting tools out until the tools were back in the toolbox. It helps to have impact drivers and other power tools to get things done. I am definitely worried about the bushings being stuck.

One of my rear shocks must have took a real solid hit and the upper mount was bent upwards, a real pain to get the shock off and then it had to be straightened.

Which bushings are you worried about being stuck? Jim SW FL

The sway bar has four bushings. My 91 Warrior has front and rear sway bars. The Prothane kit came with bushings for one sway bar. My sway bar bushings did not look bad after 200K miles. They just don't bear much weight compared to the springs.

I had the rear leaf spring mounts changed on a Ford Ranger and they had a heck of a time getting the old ones out. They had to remove the springs and take them to a shop with a large press. I don't have a press. Are the spring bushing hard to remove?

Mine were so bad I just pulled the old ones out by hand. The new ones needed some lube and a large C clamp to install. No press needed

I had the rear leaf spring mounts changed on a Ford Ranger and they had a heck of a time getting the old ones out. They had to remove the springs and take them to a shop with a large press. I don't have a press. Are the spring bushing hard to remove?

I had a heckuva time getting them out—many hours and bent a shackle pretty badly in the process. As it turned out, the bushings weren't in bad condition, so I replaced the few that I was able to remove and left the rest. My shocks, however, were scrawny little units in terrible condition; I'm very happy with the new KYBs back there.

Due to time constraints I paid to have mine done. I watched most of the process as I worked on other things and helped when needed. The old bushings came out with little effort. The new ones were lubed with the special lube that is supplied with the poly bushings and installed with the assistance of a C clamp.

There can be 2 different sizes for the springs, I of course ended up with the wrong ones. I had purchased the "Total Kit" which had the wrong size for my application. Best to measure before you order. Unless you can wait for the right ones to be delivered?

I ordered Energy Suspension, but their dealer ticked me off on the wrong bushings, so would go with Prothane next time.

http://prothane.com/

This is there site with some good info. HTH Jim

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting the bilsteins for the front and rear.

I went to Oreillys for the bushings but they were no help, they are not able to order them.

can someone pls post part # for their 22RE 1984/1985 Toyota dual rear wheel.

I can't figure out which ones I need from this page:

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/products/toyota_pickup_2wd_1984

Linda,

any chance you have the part # for the rear sway bar bushings?

Thanks,

They do show 2 18 or 25mm. You will have to measure yours to make sure you get the right ones.

I am a big fan of greaseable fittings, but that is only my opinion not based on any facts or knowledge! Likely more important to the 4 wheeler's going off road and rock crawling than to an RV'er.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

They do show 2 18 or 25mm. You will have to measure yours to make sure you get the right ones.

I am a big fan of greaseable fittings, but that is only my opinion not based on any facts or knowledge! Likely more important to the 4 wheeler's going off road and rock crawling than to an RV'er.

Jim

help pls, what am I measuring?

I called a local small auto repair place and they refused to work on the toyo saying it is too old and they can't use my parts. They said it is not worth time just to make money on the labor if they can't make any money on the parts. :-(

The easiest way to check, is to check the dia of the springs eyes (the loop at each end of the spring) if they are the same size then you need the big ones at each end. If one end is small and the other is larger then you need the big and little set.

On each end of the spring is an eye that the bushing goes into. You need to measure the inside diameter of the eye to determine the size of bushing that will fit, also there are bushings in the shakle which will be replaced. NOt real easy to measure with the spring installed.

Finding someone to work on vehicles is not always easy, keep asking around. I was able to get mine installed at a neighborhood mechanic for $100, no way no how would I do it for a $100!!

post-8092-0-65039600-1441821765_thumb.pn

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of bilstein shocks. Front right took 1.5 hours, in the hot sun. I got overheated so stopped when it was done. The next day, the left front took 20 minutes start to finish. Rears next weekend.

Needed... Jack, wheel removal, 17mm ratcheting box wrench to install, vise grip to hold shaft rotation while tightening, 12mm deep socket to install. 12mm ratchening box to remove, and a pipe wrench.

Gotta jack the truck 6" higher than what is needed to remove the wheel.

Oh yeah... jack stands of course.

I have a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" foil coated foam with 1X3 framework under it. I lay this on the ground for cutting plywood and use it as a sunscreen when working on anything where I am in direct sun. Not pleasing to the eye but does not require folding, unfolding and such. Next one will be 4X7 so will stand up against will in garage.

I am on a medication that makes me hyper sensitive to sunlight and I live in FL. If it is real hot I also set up a fan. I usually do not set it up until I am 45 minutes into a 20 minute job. :bye2: Jim

"I called a local small auto repair place and they refused to work on the toyo saying it is too old and they can't use my parts" - shibs

when I had mine done (bushings shocks) the mech didn't want to do it either unless I pad cash no credit. so I did; apparently paying cash entices them to do it.

I hear you Totem, I did not have time to call around, too many distractions.

I can do the swap myself, I have all the tools (thanks for the steps FredN), but I live in a yuppy neighborhood, and don't want to confront any of my crazy neighbors on meds.

If I could get some lift time, I bet I could do the bushing swap, drain the fluids and do the shock upgrade. I enjoy working on vehicles, I find it relaxing. Maybe I will grow a pair and just work on it in my drive way.

I live in San Jose, California. They don't get snootier or yuppier than here. Fat bucks makes them think they are better than others. I have 2 motorhomes in my driveway and work on them and other peoples motorhomes all the time. As long as there is no local code forbidding such work, it's your property, use it.

Linda S

I live in San Jose, California. They don't get snootier or yuppier than here. Fat bucks makes them think they are better than others. I have 2 motorhomes in my driveway and work on them and other peoples motorhomes all the time. As long as there is no local code forbidding such work, it's your property, use it.

Linda S

The lawyer who lives on the next block works on his Triumph sometimes.

I hear you, I will give the city a call and check first.

FYI: our high school was the first in US to have astro turf in the football field ;-)

"I can do the swap myself, I have all the tools (thanks for the steps FredN), but I live in a yuppy neighborhood, and don't want to confront any of my crazy neighbors on meds."

Yuppies can be bought off with starbucks cards. Everyone has their price.

Now about the bushings... When I get under the rear of the MH I'll see the bushings for the first time. I don't intend to change them out yet, but I do plan on shooting some non-petroleum based lube onto them.