Generator

Ron k

1 Buy an ONAN and be happy, it will run the standard 13.5k btu roof A/C

2 Buy a smaller 9K btu roof A/C and a Honda 2kw generator for less $$ than an ONAN. Works in most places, except maybe the summer desert.

Neither one will run a microwave and the A/C at the same time

A couple of years ago, I saw a Toy house with a bumper generator set up that was the cleanest combo I have ever seen. The owner had a 7.5K btu AC and had installed a toolbox on the bumper. It was the polished aluminum like a lot of pickups have in the bed, except it wasn't that large. It had an L shaped lid that opened up the top and half way down the side facing the rear (I later saw that same box at a Tractor Supply Co store). A 2KW Honda fit down inside and was latched somehow. He had constructed a simple exhaust pipe that inserted into the exhaust of the Honda and was passed down through the box and outside. You couldn't hear it run. He had cut a hole for intake air in the bottom of the box. The power cord from the MH was kept plugged into the generator or it could be removed for shore power. A 12 volt automotive fan was attached to an exhaust port he had cut in the box. It was kept plugged into the 12 volt outlet on the Honda. The lid was unlocked (padlock), raised, and a quick pull of the starting cord was all that was required. The exhaust fan started as soon as the generator did. Close the lid and turn on the AC and take off down the road. To refuel, he just opened the lid, unplugged the cords, slid the exhaust pipe over, unlatched, and removed the generator. It was easier and safer to refuel out of the box. I was really jealous of his ingenuity. I would have went for it if I could have found a 7.5 KW AC, I didn't know about the 9 KW. The 13.5 KW that I have is too big for 2KW. I don't have the space for a compartment on my Sunrader to mount an Onan or anything else.

Good luck on your generator quest.

Allen

hey ron, i do not consider myself a pro, but i have some experience with a bumper mount genset. i have an 86 dolphin,after alot debating, i opted for a powermax 4400XP gen.(maxtool on ebay) me and a friend fabricated a 24"L x 18"W platform from 1/8" angle iron,topped it with a piece of spanner metal(open diamond) welded it level with the top of the bumper,braced it with two pieces of angle iron on a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the bumper. the gen. has 8 mounting holes on it, it fits on it perfect. Material and labor was $130.00 . Gen. weighs 130lbs. empty. Fire it up plug in and go. KEVIN