Rv Insurance

davidtan

Any recommendation on good RV insurance especially on collision and comprehensive coverage? Can you actually cover the RV for what you've spent on it ? Any input appreciated....

I use State Farm for all my autos and my RV's. My current premium for $100/300K policy with collision and comp is a touch over $300 year. Premiums varie wildly by location, state etc.

Talk to agent you can get an "agreed value policy". Which I need to get around to doing. Jim

A quick add for those who might be in a similar situation to mine. I have 4 drivers listed on my policy (2 adult children deep in extended adolescence). My previous agent just added the motorhome to my existing policy and it was expensive. Wife's work has an insurance company that comes into her office every week and offers a company discount so we asked for a quote. They said the best way was to put the RV on its own policy with an exclusion of the kids as drivers. Went from $1200 to $400 with the same if not better coverage. My old agent offered to do the same when I notified them we were changing companies. Yeah, right.

I ran into the same thing in my 20s. Got to talking about Insurance rates and found I was paying the most. This is from an agent I had sent some business too. Changed company and then he offered to lower my rate after ripping me off for several years.

Jim SW FL

I went with Progressive , it was 280 for the year but they only covered it for 5,800 on a total loss. I couldn't get them to go any higher. Liberty wanted 1k for the year , but they took the value at 10K.

Most of my cars are with USAA but they don't do campers. They have a cross agreement with Progressive. I pay about $400 per year but I have a valuables coverage and a negotiated value of $8000. The bill comes from Mountain Laurel Insurance, so I suspect that Progressive is more like an association of insurers than a single company.

Most of my cars are with USAA but they don't do campers. They have a cross agreement with Progressive. I pay about $400 per year but I have a valuables coverage and a negotiated value of $8000. The bill comes from Mountain Laurel Insurance, so I suspect that Progressive is more like an association of insurers than a single company.

I have a similar policy through Progressive / Mountain Laurel. You mention "negotiated value," and I wonder if you could explain how that came about, what that process looks like?

When I renewed my insurance I asked the agent (over the phone) if I could raise the insured value. She said we could do a "negotiated value". I named the amount due to improvements I'd made (tires, power supply, solar panel).

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 1991 Sunrader and the blue book is far less than the actual market value. I actually haven't done any work to it, but it is in excellent condition. I haven't gotten insurance yet, because I haven't wanted to deal with the "negotiated value" hassle. If I haven't done any improvements, how else can I get the negotiated value up so it is more comparable with how much it would actually cost to replace my Sunrader if got totaled??

the reality is in the fine print. read the policy proposal. you will find that insurance is vaporware; it never pays off without extreme haggling with respect to customs OR you will hemorrhage annual cash on a custom policy.

I operate plpd, on the annual perceived value system. each year I go by without burning down I am paying myself by not paying for extra insurance. all in all even if you burn down you got your fun out of it; and comprehensive should give you back something of the blue book; the rest as they say is up in smoke. Insurance is a leprechaun, unicorn and hope and change all rapped in a neat little tooth fairy package, minus of course the pay out.

Good luck though and if you find someone that got a pay out on a value policy we welcome the story.

Yup I do know someone who got every penny from the insurance company. He has a seriously upgraded 4x4 Sunrader and he documented every upgrade and kept all his receipts for it. He was rear ended in northern Cal last year and the insurance policy paid out around 40 grand to repair it. Not totaled meaning his RV was valued higher than that.

Linda S

what were his premiums to get that?

Well I have no idea but he was rear ended so the payout was from the other drivers insurance company. They sent an adjuster from San Francisco to go over his receipts and look at his camper and he got everything fixed just like he wanted. He did have to fight for that but he won. They also paid his hotel room and meals for time it took to fix the camper.

Just checked, Dave's insurance was stated value policy through AARP and the company that paid the claim was State Farm.

Dave used the price of a of one of our members here purchase price as basic cost, $22,000 plus his upgrades that he had receipts for of $44,000 for full value.

Linda S

Well I have no idea but he was rear ended so the payout was from the other drivers insurance company. They sent an adjuster from San Francisco to go over his receipts and look at his camper and he got everything fixed just like he wanted. He did have to fight for that but he won. They also paid his hotel room and meals for time it took to fix the camper.

Just checked, Dave's insurance was stated value policy through AARP and the company that paid the claim was State Farm.

Dave used the price of a of one of our members here purchase price as basic cost, $22,000 plus his upgrades that he had receipts for of $44,000 for full value.

Linda S

That may very well be more the exception rather than the rule. For the most part, many of the typical toyo RV's don't fit into this category. I like to "self insure" where I can. A vehicle with a low resale value is not where I am going to put heavy premium dollars. I total my vehicle, I'm out its value. Someone else hits me, I am likely in for a fight but like Dave, have all my receipts and plenty of documentation as to the work improvements made. While I have more into it, I figure in my local market, mine is worth less than $5k. I've owned it for 5 years. A replacement policy would have likely cost me far more than half its value here in MA as insurance cost is high. Instead I have basic insurance on the RV that only covers the other guy.

The best advice is to run the numbers and figure out what is best in your particular circumstance. Each has their limits as to what they can risk. I'm not anti insurance as I have plenty of it but not where it makes no sense.

unless of course you live in Michigan... here we have no legal option to get payment from the other party as we are "no fault". So basically insurance is even more useless here than anywhere else; aside from possibly getting bluebook. The funny thing about Michigan, its a well known fact that if your vehicle is financed you will get a better payout because insurance fears big bank more than small owner. So in Michigan; you see lots of people running around in cars that they lease or don't own; even though they could easily purchase in full. Its a hedge. The same is true of homeowners insurance. Many Big bank sites now have website pages dedicated to filing claims against major insurers; after all the investors cannot tolerate the risk.

unless of course you live in Michigan... here we have no legal option to get payment from the other party as we are "no fault".

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. I.e, by getting hit last winter almost head-on, while stopped at a red light. We weren't even moving. I knew Michigan was "No Fault" but that term itself offered no fear to me. New York also says it is "No Fault." The phrases, however, have different meaning between the two states. In NY, "No Fault" has nothing to do with who pays for what, when it comes to mechanical damage. In Michigan - to my very big surprise - it ;means if you get hit you are basically screwed unless you opted to have your own collision insurance. That is, except for the "$1000 clause" that allows you to sue for a max of $1000 if someone destroys your vehicle. I DID get my $1000 and still have the van - so in a way, I made out. 1998 Dodge AWD Grand Caravan with 240,000 miles on it. It was barely worth $800 before we got hit but WAS running perfectly. I bought a new driver's door for $ 100 and bolted shut what is left of the sliding door and then sealed the huge gaps with spray foam. I'll drive it again this winter as my winter rust-bucket. Sad thing is - I could of been driving a $50,000 vehicle and I still would of only be able to recover $1000. Lesson of the story is one of two options. Don't drive expensive vehicles in Michigan, or pay through the nose for collision insurance. For some strange reason, Michigan has the highest auto insurance in the USA. Yet, nearly the worst coverage. I don't get it. IT MUST be Jennifer Granholm's fault ! Lucky for me, the most I've ever paid ever for a car, truck, or RV is around $3300. I paid $1800 for my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser. My insurance is $311 for a full year from Progressive. Just what is legally required. It would be a cold day in Hell when I bought collision insurance. If it gets wrecked, I'll salvage what I can and get another one - or maybe fix it if not too bad. Seeing how I've never had collision insurance in my life, and I've been driving for near 50 years, I suspect I've saved a lot more money then I can ever lose. I just with I could do the same with house insurance. I don't want it except for the liability part so I can't get sued if some idiot tresspasses, falls down, gets hurt, and sues me. If I could just get liability and not fire/catastropy coverage - I'd do it. I already tried and could not get it. All my houses have been cheap foreclosures that I bought for small bucks and then fixed up. If one burns down and I'm still alive, I'd rather take the loss then pay though the nose for insurance. If it burns down and I bite the dust in the fire - then the insurance does me no good anyway.

By the way, I'm finding UP campgrounds in Michigan to be amazing. At least on the eastern UP. Last week during beautiful weather, we camped at three different campgrounds and ALL were empty. I.e., we had them all to ourselves. $13 a night. At that same time, we drove by some of the more "on the beaten path" private and state campgrounds and they were all filled up. Seems the state and federal ones that are a "little out of the way" are often completely empty. We stayed at the Soldier Lake Federal campground (around Brimley/Strongs), and also the Munuscong State Forest campground in Pickford. Also Andrus Lake Forest campground in Paradise. I never thought the day would come when I found northern MI more beautiful then cental/northern NY - but I know agree with my wife, and it IS (she's a biased native Michigander). I am blown away by all the nearly virgin Great Lake shorelines and nearyby forests with very few people around. Same more-or-less for the eastern part of the northern part of the lower peninsula. Cannot say the same for the "west coast" in northern Michigan. I just had to go to the Traverse Bay area and also Petoskey. What a mad-house this time of year!.

it pays to be able to read and understand your insurance very important . I paid 7500 for my dolphin . I have full insurance on it only in the summer as I don't use it in winter . I am with GRANGE in seattle . I have it covered in w righting for 8000 total loss . 500 dectible collision 250 other losses. this county has a high amount of no ins no lincense drivers. I have been in three totals buy others they did have liability . our rates are good because we are retired and no claims at fault

You are all in "no fault" by definition in Michigans terms if your not at fault and you are the victim of a driver with no or under insured coverage; at that point YOUR policy is to pay the difference. I maintain that NONE of you know ANYONE that got a $25,000 pay out on a toy home from insurance unless they had a VERY expensive value policy that will in a few short years have you paying the total value of your motorhome in premiums.

JDE is spot on, collision is not needed. Collision is only required when you don't own the vehicle or if you are paranoid and cannot tolerate risk. I also believe whole heartedly that if you talk a bank into loaning you $15,000 for a $5000 blue book motorhome you will have a MUCH better time of getting a collision claim paid, because the bank will fight it for you; as they are the owner. :)

that is correct collision and comp is never required except when financing a vehicle. I don't carry collision on my 88 4wd .. I believe two things a bank may fight for you and I know by personal experance that you are in a much better position if you are not at fault. if you are still working and can afford to buy another one if you lose it then that works for you to save money on insurence . for those of us who are retired some can afford more risk then others.. each one must make your own decision what works for each one. I cut my ins cost by only keeping full coverage for the summer months that I use it. I keep comp on mine I cant keep it at my house. I park at my freands place . and the fire danger is extremely high here every summer. AS FOR BEING paranoid yes I have been in 3 wrecks. totaled out in 3 years been a few years of peace now.