After searching around it seems the way to remove and replace the starter on the V-6 is to take off the pass side tire and raise the motor a bit by slight jacking the motor a bit, not from underneath as I was looking at initally. I wasn't able to find a video or instructions for our type pick-up, most were about 4 Runners or four wheel drives.

Is this the way?? Has anybody here done it like this ? or from underneath???

TIA

I gather that you are not very mechanically inclined. the starter is held in by 2 bolts. A heavy electrical cable and a small wire have to be disconnected.

Yes, raising the vehicle will help. If it will start, drive it up on some boards or stands, if you do use chocks so it does not roll. Taking a tire off may help but I doubt it is necessary. If you do take a wheel off use jack stands!

Important; Take the negative terminal off your battery FIRST.

This starter is nothing special - a replacement exchange starter is available from any automotive store. The 3VZ-E was used in the 4runner and the pickup

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/toyota/pickup-2wd/1993/6-cylinders-v-3-0l-fi?filterByKeyWord=starter&fromString=search

Rockauto has them as do many others

I have not taken a starter out yet, but decided it might be some useful info to have. The factory service manual, do you have it? Basically says remove starter. The Haynes manual says remove starter. The Haynes manual would be a good replacement for the Sears catalog in an outhouse!

There is a bit of discussion on the Yota tech forums, but not a lot. http://www.yotatech.com/f116/

They do talk about redoing the contacts in the starter instead of replacing it. Sorry no help. Jim

Have to agree with Vanman, the starter job on the V-6 looks difficult. The torsion bars from the suspension and other obstructions make physical removal tight if not impossible. Lifting the front end by the frame might drop the torsion bars enough to squeeze that starter out.

My starter quit starting when in Park and I started looking at how to do the install with my $30 Uhaul starter. Then I realized the camper will start in Neutral. Shifter cable must need adjustment.

The newer starters are about 1/4 smaller so maybe the replacement will be easier. The last starter provided by Autozone for my 96 4Runner was the smaller one. I've replaced three starters on the 4Runner over its 372K miles and it is one of the more difficult jobs due to the inaccessibility of the upper bolt.

Usually if the motor will start in neutral but not in park, the suspect issue is the safety switch being bad. Check to see if it has one. Can be tested with a meter and is usually cheap. Worth checking.

Thanks for all the replies.
I had this remanufactured starter replaced by a RV place many miles away 2 1/2 years and 6533 miles ago " limited lifetime warranty" doesn't include labor and it starts every time now. Over the phone the owner was not enthusiastic but will charge me all labor whether replaced or not.
After talking with the local parts suppliers and ones on the internet I ordered one from the local Toyota dealer hoping for better luck this time. Funny thing was the others had 3 sizes 1.0KW , 1.2KW and 1.4KW. dealer parts says for my vin # only 2, 1.4KW and 1.6KW , which he recommended as they are the same price.
I live on a steep hill at the top and must work on the RV while parked on the street. I'll start with removing the front wheel and the plastic cover to take a good look comparing the replacement and then decide what to do.

BTW, one of the videos from an owner mentioned to install the bottom bolt first to hold the starter in position as the top bolt is a real bear to get in otherwise.

Just got it, looks brand new and weighs 9-10 lbs.

The parts guy has a 4-runner and had his starter replaced by the shop mechanics. They raised the front and removed the tire and had a bad time getting it out, as he has power steering and that precludes bringing it up the front to remove it. They were fustrated and took a break and another parts guy finagled it out for them. Just for grins I went to the service counter and explained what I wanted to get done and asked for a price quote. After much keyboard work he said 85.00 $ !!! I asked it he had put in that I had power steering and he said yes and thats a flat price. HUMMMMM

In our area we have several neighborhood wrenches. 1 works as a mechanic and likes small jobs that he can do in his yard. The other one works on cars full time and has a fully equipped shop, complete with lift. Either one would charge $35 to $50 to put that starter in.

Over the last few years I have become spoiled and seldom do much myself. Except for the Toy, but that is more of a hobby.

Ask around, maybe you have someone like that in your area?? HTH Jim

The secret to getting the starter out on the 4Runner is to unbolt the tranny dip stick tube. Then there will be room to move the starter forward and down. I use an air ratchet to undo the two bolts holding the starter.

The starter for the V6 on the camper has less working room than the 4Runner. Changing that starter will be an accomplishment, like climbing Mt Everest.

Well, I jacked the rt side as high as I can with the equipment I have and no luck. On this truck the only way to get the starter in/out is from underneath, removing the tire does make it easier to see where things are but that's all. I'm sore as heck this morning, too old for this anymore. So will have to take it to a shop that can lift the front end enough.

On the bright side the extension tool I made for the Toyota screw type jack works great, as does the jack. :) 3/8 rod stock is harder to thread than I remember, old age again ?, but it's so much nicer than if I had used running thread.

jjrbus"

Over the last few years I have become spoiled and seldom do much myself. Except for the Toy, but that is more of a hobby.

HTH Jim

I used to always do my own work, but am realizing that this is mainly past for me now. Aside from the electrical work this RV has been mostly re-done by others, not up to my standards one of the main reasons I did it myself, but it is what it is.

John

They tell me I should get more exercise, join a gym. Some people tell me to take up golf as it is good exercise. Well I think of going out and crawling over under and around, bending over to pick things up, stretching to reach things, lifting, straining to tighten or loosen things as my workout.

Planning how to do things, figuring, keeping tract of numerous items. Researching and learning how to do new things. Adding and subtracting, shopping for best price or quality on internet are all good mental stimulation.

Maybe when I reach your age I will have to give it up but I am only 67. Jim SW FL

• 1 year later...

Today ,i remove my starter on my warrior v6 1991.It's not an easy job but after i remove the two transmission lines, it was easy. My motorhome have 90k miles. The question is: i have to replace the contact or buy new starter.

A new starter may be smaller than the old one. The last one I installed in my 4Runner was about 30% smaller, which made the install much easier.