Ac Dead Or Just My Brain?

Hi -

My '91 Warrior has a stock Coleman AC unit (don't know the model; the model/serial number label is gone). Previous owner swore it worked, used it in southern California occasionally. Yep, I know what those promises are worth, but every other thing he has claimed about the Toy has proved out. At any rate: I'm trying to get finished up inside so I can hit the road to go north, and it's beastly hot in there (Albuquerque). I have tried to run my AC both on a 15 amp home circuit and on a 2000 watt portable generator. The former trips a circuit breaker, the latter puts the generator into overload mode. Do I just truly need a 30 amp circuit to run this, or does it sound like the AC is in need of repair or replacement? Not electrically very knowledgeable (clearly). Are replacement units a bear to install? I'm looking at something like this if I need to go new...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/coleman-mach-8-cub-air-conditioner-arctic-white-shroud/72717

Thanks in advance for any clues.

Dan

Edited by DanRT66

I do not think a 15 amp circuit is enough, my unit is an 87 briscair but is only about 7000 btu runs ok on a 20 amp line with nothing else on it. would help if you new how many BTU it is. I prefer to run on 30 but at home only have 20 amp. if you could try it somewhere on 30 amp would be nice. does the generator go on overload only starting the ac or while it is running. I am sure the newer ones are lighter in wt . they always draw more starting than running. that new unit draws 1550 watts on high cool at 100 deg I think that is more then you want on a 15 amp breaker. and what else do you have on that line in your house. a 15 amp breaker is only legal on 14 gage wire. a 20 amp breaker allows you to use 12 gage wire. 1550 watts is the same as if you had portable heater plugged in. I would get that ac you have checked out first. lot of money for a new one. and I do understand heat as I live in a very hot area also. temps here 110 for this sunday.

Thanks, I wondered about that. I've never gotten past the overload to see if the generator could handle it running. It goes into overload just a second or so after the knob is turned to "low cool". Though I don't know the model, the operator's manual handed down with the RV states that it's either 11,000 or 13,500 BTU.

Edited by DanRT66

that's a pretty big one my son has a new jayco 28 ft I think has a 13500 on it

I HAD a roof ac on my Escaper but removed it because it was so loud that there was no way anyone could sleep in the RV with it running. You could not even have a conversation. When I did try to use it, I had to have it hooked up to my 30 amp outlet, the 20 amp breaker would trip occasionally on startup. We also rarely camp where there is electricity anyway.

It will trip a 15 amp breaker and more than likely a 2000 watt generator will not start it with out a hard start cap. installed in the AC and even then it's iffy.

I would go to an RV park and ask if you can plug in and check it out at 30amps. No

sense in tearing it apart if it still works.

Linda S

Here's some simple service items that you could try too. Not major electrical. Just cleaning and oiling motor and cleaning coils. I think if it's really gummed up that could make it trip the circuits. I don't really know but I would try everything I could

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Service-And-Repair-A-Motorhome-Air-Conditioner-AC

Hi -

I have tried to run my AC both on a 15 amp home circuit and on a 2000 watt portable generator. The former trips a circuit breaker, the latter puts the generator into overload mode. Do I just truly need a 30 amp circuit to run this, or does it sound like the AC is in need of repair or replacement?

Not all "15 amp" circuits are the same. All depends on how they are wired in a household and exactly what type of circuit breaker is used.

A typical household AC unit made for 120 volts needs a 20 amp circuit wired with at least 12 gauge copper wire and a "slow-trip" 20 amp breaker that can handle up to 40 amps surge (for AC high-load start-up). A "15 amp" circuit with duplex receptacles is kind of rare where I live in a modern house (wired within the past 30 years). If you actually have a 15 amp circuit - with 14 gauge wire and a 15 amp breaker - much depends on how far the outlet is from the main service panel and what sort of breaker was used. Normally a 15 amp breaker will not trip (right away) until a 30 amp load is put on it. Some AC units draw 30 amps for a fraction of a second at start-up, and some do not.

I have the same unit on my 1993. Plugged in to house 15amp and am running a/c, 2 fridges, computer, radio, charging iPads, etc. Monday it was 105.5 here in Abq. and the inside temp got to 90 degress. The rest of the week I was able to maintain 84 deg. I also bought one of those windshield reflectex things and duct taped it onto the top of the a/c.

Dana

I have the same unit on my 1993. Plugged in to house 15amp and am running a/c, 2 fridges, computer, radio, charging iPads, etc. Monday it was 105.5 here in Abq. and the inside temp got to 90 degress. The rest of the week I was able to maintain 84 deg. I also bought one of those windshield reflectex things and duct taped it onto the top of the a/c.

Dana

What sort of "15 amp" circuit? 15 amp slow-blow fuse in the panel, 15 amp circit-breaker, or what?

Thanks! Luckily I know the fan works, so there's that - and I'll see if someone will let me plug in for a test.

In that article it says a bad capacitator can make circuits trip. Doesn't look too hard to replace and PPL RV parts has it for around 23 bucks.

Linda S

Dana

Dana, wow. Also in ABQ and it reached 115 in the RV a couple days, at least 108 all the rest of them this week.

Linda, will check out the capacitor. Thanks.

It's a 15-amp on circuit breaker, but for the generator test I was plugged directly into the 2000 watt portable generator, 30 amp plug through a 15 amp adaptor.

Linda, will check out the capacitor. Thanks.

It's a 15-amp on circuit breaker, but for the generator test I was plugged directly into the 2000 watt portable generator, 30 amp plug through a 15 amp adaptor.

You might be able to lower the start-surge with a better starting cap - or a "easy start cap kit" for your AC. That being said, a 15 amp circuit is usually not suitable for most AC units. Even a 5000 BTU AC unit can draw over 30 amps when it first starts (unless it has a low-surge cap kit installed).

And a "2000 watt" generator? Depends on what it is. Some so-called 2000 watt generators can only surge to 2000 watts while others can handle surges to 4000 watts. What make and model is it?

Buddy of mine bought a honda eu2000 last week to run his 7100btu minimach Coleman.I tried it on my 13.5 btu it fired it right off.We didn't run it for long but it started it up and started cooling toy.

I should of mentioned the capacitor they often need replacement in home ac or furnaces. the temp in Yakima is equal to ABQ new mexico 108 to 110 for today.

Honda EU2000i

Honda EU200i is only a 1600 watt generator. Not big enough for most AC units. In fact, not big enough for any I know of.

A Honda EU2000i or a Yamaha EF2000i are only 1600 watt generators. Now the Hyundai 2000Si is a 2000 watt generator (substantial difference).

A small 5000 BTU AC unit that is rated to draw 4.8 amps like the one being discussed will draw 3X to 6X more than that at the first start surge. All depends on what caps are used and type of unit. So that Frigidaire rated at 4.8 amps draws 14 to 29 amps every time it first starts (1600 to 3300 watts).

So, clearly, I need to get to a 30 amp hookup and give it a try, and I'll do that Monday. This discussion has been really helpful! Great forum.

So, clearly, I need to get to a 30 amp hookup and give it a try, and I'll do that Monday. This discussion has been really helpful! Great forum.

If you have access to an outlet at a friend's or neighbor's house with a pretty-much standard 20 amp circuit - it will work for a test as well. I'm surprised how many have responded here with 15 amp outlet-circuits in their houses. Not the norm where I come from - at least not for the past 30-40 years. Household wiring (for the most part) where I've lived or worked has 20 amp circuits (for outlets) on downstairs or outdoors outlets with 12 gauge wire and 15 amp or 20 amp duplex receptacles. Those 15 amp duplexes are on 20 amp circuits though with 12 gauge wiring.

I live in a 90-year-old house, and the wiring, though technically meeting code, is something of a dog's breakfast. I do have some 20 amp circuits, and I may be able to run a line out far enough to test. Thanks!

I live in a 90-year-old house, and the wiring, though technically meeting code, is something of a dog's breakfast. I do have some 20 amp circuits, and I may be able to run a line out far enough to test. Thanks!

The house I'm in now was built in 1959 (pretty new for my standards). Had several badly wired circuits with 20 amp breakers and 14 gauge wire that is a fire hazard. Nothing dangerous about a 15 amp circuit as long as that 14 gauge wire is protected by a 15 amp breaker (and not a 20 amp). An old house just has to meet whatever the code was when built, more-or-less. That is . . unless you want to make a rental out of it. When running an AC unit on a 15 amp circuit - it is often the small 14 gauge wire that is the problem and not the 15 amp breaker itself. All depends on the actual distance between your main panel and your AC. Some house circuits are only 30 feet long and others are 80 feet long. The longer that distance, the more apt the breaker will be to blow. Last I heard, the people who write electrical code want to make 15 amp duplex circuits no longer allowed and only permit 15 amps/14 gauge wire for light circuits in a household. Hasn't been written into the code yet, as far as I know. And . . if they get that passed, next they will likely ban 14 gauge wire even for lights. They claim energy is lost even in light circuits and lights are brighter with 12 gauge wiring. But then again - if everyone starts using low-draw LEDs, then all that will be moot.

What sort of "15 amp" circuit? 15 amp slow-blow fuse in the panel, 15 amp circit-breaker, or what?

I don't know! House was built in 1958 and has only 60 amp service. It has only has 8 circuit breakers.

Dana

15 amp circuits are very common and legal every where except kitchens even in modern construction you don't need much power for a table lamp or a computer..

15 amp circuits are very common and legal every where except kitchens even in modern construction you don't need much power for a table lamp or a computer..

I would NOT want to live in a modern household that you designed the wiring in ! Window AC units, dehumidifiers, workshops with power tools, electric hair driers/blow-driers, electric space heaters, freezers, extra refrigerators or wine coolers, and lots, lots more. Whole different story back in the 1940s-1950s when a 30 or 60 amp service ran an entire house that had few appliances. Also at a time when sometimes an entire room only had one outlet - if that. If would be one thing if every duplex with a pair of outlets was wired to it's own chunk of wire and 15 amp breaker. But when 5, 10, sometimes over a dozen duplexs are all wired to the same wire and just one breaker - that circuit gets pretty damn weak with a huge voltage-drop if too many things run at once. To make things worse, as houses get bigger and bigger - the lengths of wire get longer and longer and then there is even more voltage drop. I did not see anyone on this forum claim a 15 amp was somehow "illegal." What I DID say is that the advisors who write new electric code constantly want to ban the use of 14 gauge copper wire in any circuits that have 15 amp or 20 amp duplexes on them. If they accomplish this - it won't make any exisiting wiring "illegal." It WILL make new wiring such if the new code (if it applies) is not followed. In my own opinion - wire ampacity should not be all that determines code. Wire big enough to not allow more then a 2.5% voltage drop should also be mandated. But - since Code is about safety and not about things "working right" - ampacity is all that is dealt with since it is what causes fires when not figured right.