Make A Berry Picker From Pvc Tube

snail powered

This one deserves a place in the chow section. Build your own berry picker, the berries roll down the tube. But get a cap for the end and then you unload it into a bucket or bowl later instead of relying on a plastic bag which would be prone to getting a hole in it when working in among the bushes.

Link to instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/BERRY-PICKER/

I am going to have to try one of those. We have a very tall mulberry tree located on a steep hill that makes using a ladder impossible. That looks like a good solution to a good tasting problem.

We have a tall wild blackberry bush that comes up inside a hedge by the workshop. Best blackberries ever and unlike most of the wild ones around here they are pretty much seedless. I turned my friend onto that bush having to force him to eat the first one since he hates seeds. He pretty much cleaned it out last year. Now he is looking forward to snacks in August. That pole picker should do the job since most of the berries are way too high to reach without a ladder.

• 6 months later...

WOW !

What an excellent idea. I have been using a tin vegetable can or (pot) filled with water and brought to a boil to shape

PVC pipe . Wait until it starts boiling and just stick the end down into the can. If you are just forming the end, it is very easy and causes no fumes like a torch or any kind of flame, the PVC won't catch fire. When you form the fingers, run cool or cold water over them to stop the heating process. If you mess up, just put it back into the can and reform it .

For picking blackberries you can use shorter piece like a 2' or 3' long in order to handle it better then use a PVC coupling to attach it to a longer piece for reaching up into trees.

Thank You for the picker idea.