Rear Sway Bar 1987 Toyota Sunrader

chaejohn

Depends on what your sway bar looks like. My 86 Sunrader sway bar looks nothing like a regular Toyota sway bar. I went everywhere looking for bushings and found nothing. I ended up finding something close at Ace Hardware and making it fit. Had to add washers to keep everything in place. Can you post a pic of where your sway bar connects to the frame. I will see if I can find the part I used. Long time ago and may not be there anymore but hey. It was a long time ago and they are still fine. You could also look at shock absorber bushings. I think some of them would work

Linda

I replaced my sway bar bushings and shock bushings. Got the sway bar bushings from Auto Zone and the shock bushings from a RV repair shop. They had plastic bags of different sized polyurethane bushings, just matched up the sizes. The RV repair shop specialized in alignment, shocks, and upgrades for motorhomes, Hendersons repair in Grants Pass, Or.

Just saying that a alignment shop or 4 wheel drive shop may have a variety of bushings in stock.

• 5 years later...

My 1984 Pickup doesn't have a rear sway bar and could really use one. Does anyone know where to source either a new kit or used? I'm in Michigan.

Thanks!

Typically vehicles with rear leaf springs don't need them. Check for worn/missing parts loose spring U bolts.

I have 100% new springs, shocks, bushings, shackles and hardware as of 3 days ago. I'm not happy with the amount of sway in the rear. I know many Toyota motorhomes have them. I'd like one too.

$10 says it won't fix it. My old New Horizon had no sway but it also had a 9 leaf spring pack.

My Escaper had 7 leafs and a factory rear anti away bar.

P.S. It had factory airbags also.

Edited by WME

First gens did not have a factory sway bars and  neither do the second and third gens. Yes after market but with a toy home it's not going to accomplish much. Better off with shocks with springs. It is grossly over weight even with duel wheels. Love it for what it is. Wish I still had mine probably could get 20 grand for it.