Fantastic Fans, Options/opinions?

passman

Like the title says I’m looking for personal opinions on fantastic fans, which models do you have and why do you like them or not? I’m removing the AC unit and replacing it with a vent/fan. From the looks of ebay they run from “$100 to Oh My God You Must Be Kidding!”

I ended up buying 3 off of Amazon before I found out you can order them without the fans for $40. I'm thinking 3 is going to be overkill but oh well. I went with the 801251. This is the basic 3 speed reversible model. Current price on Amazon seems to have gone up as they are more than $20 more. If you can get this model for $100 it would be a deal.

I was initially thinking of doing the reverse and adding the AC unit. In the end decided the roof wasn't up to it and went with the fans. Spent close to what the AC would have cost. They move a lot of air and are pretty quiet. Didn't need the remote or the thermostatic control the higher priced models have.

One note: In replacing all my vents I had to cut the hole square. Also the flange is screw down from the top vs the clamp from below of what I took out. Turns out my 87 Itasca has wiring coming from the DC side of the control panel that goes up and over right along the hole but still unseen. I knew about the AC wiring which I replaced to connect to the battery but when I screwed the middle flange down, I shorted the wiring that services the porch light, cabinet floor light, wall sconce and over sink light. I traced it back at the water heater and cut the shorted section out of the circuit and ran new wire around behind the vanity, shower and fridge to the panel and spliced it in. Don't know what you have but figured it would be a handy note for anyone else to check carefully.

I use a Maxx fan vent and I love it. No need for an extra rain guard. It's part of the top. When closed it disappears and there's nothing sticking up there adding extra wind resistance. Mine is now 10 years old and works perfectly. Costs a little more but when you add the cost of the rain guard not that much. This one

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-05100K-MaxxFan-Ventillation-Opening/dp/B002OWAIB8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435105710&sr=8-2&keywords=maxxair+maxxfan

There is one with remote but those are just things I lose

Linda S

Like the title says I’m looking for personal opinions on fantastic fans, which models do you have and why do you like them or not? I’m removing the AC unit and replacing it with a vent/fan. From the looks of ebay they run from “$100 to Oh My God You Must Be Kidding!”

I took the rooftop AC out of my Minicruiser and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan with three speeds, forward/reverse and a thermostat. It was on sale for $80 and has too many options as it is. Nothing wrong with the thermostat except I'd rather not have it. Just adds to confusion when trying to turn it on or off (if I forget it's there). We love it. Put it in reverse and crack a few windows open and it creates a window breeze all night. Last week we had a mosquito problem in the Michigan UP and we had MANY inside our Toyota RV. We put the fan on high and many if not most of those damn mosquitos got stuck on the fan-screen (on the inside) where we could kill them.

I use a Maxx fan vent and I love it. No need for an extra rain guard. It's part of the top. When closed it disappears and there's nothing sticking up there adding extra wind resistance. Mine is now 10 years old and works perfectly. Costs a little more but when you add the cost of the rain guard not that much. This one

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-05100K-MaxxFan-Ventillation-Opening/dp/B002OWAIB8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435105710&sr=8-2&keywords=maxxair+maxxfan

There is one with remote but those are just things I lose

Linda S

Would $140.21 be a good price for a new one? (in your opinion)

The MaxxAir with 3 speeds, no remote, with the built in cover seems to be selling for just under $200.00. Looks like a nice fan unit.

I do like that it has a built in cover that collapses down. But it does stick 8 inches aft of the opening in the closed position so if you have solar panels that are close to the vent opening you should measure how far away they are to make sure you have clearance for the MaxxAir with built in cover installation. Or if you plan on adding panels be sure to see how this unit will work into your intended use of the roof for solar panels.

The MaxxAir with 3 speeds, no remote, with the built in cover seems to be selling for just under $200.00. Looks like a nice fan unit.

I do like that it has a built in cover that collapses down. But it does stick 8 inches aft of the opening in the closed position so if you have solar panels that are close to the vent opening you should measure how far away they are to make sure you have clearance for the MaxxAir with built in cover installation. Or if you plan on adding panels be sure to see how this unit will work into your intended use of the roof for solar panels.

Yeah I can get it for about 1/3 off that price. No matter what it's footprint is much less than the AC unit that is up there now. I have two 100 watt solar panels but they won't be mounted on the roof. Thing is, I'm in the beginning/mid stages of a total gut and remodel (might finish in 16-17) and I want the AC off the roof and hole filled.

The Maxxair fan without the built in rain hood is priced at $140. Just be sure you are not confusing the two different models.

Yes it’s the one linked in Linda’s post, $193.74 plus tax minus $70.00 for applying for Amazons credit card (that will be cancelled in a month) = $140.21. Just have to manipulate Amazons rules a bit.

Yes it’s the one linked in Linda’s post, $193.74 plus tax minus $70.00 for applying for Amazons credit card (that will be cancelled in a month) = $140.21. Just have to manipulate Amazons rules a bit.

In the long run you are the one who is being taken advantage of. How is giving away all your very personal information just to save $50.00 being clever? Please have some "street smarts" and don't do this stuff to yourself. Hackers are busy trying to break into all of the major companies web sites to steal this kind of info. The less of it you put out there the better off you are. Even if you cancel that card the information you gave to obtain the card will remain stored in their computers sitting their waiting for hackers to pick it off the vine.

In the long run you are the one who is being taken advantage of. How is giving away all your very personal information just to save $50.00 being clever? Please have some "street smarts" and don't do this stuff to yourself. Hackers are busy trying to break into all of the major companies web sites to steal this kind of info. The less of it you put out there the better off you are. Even if you cancel that card the information you gave to obtain the card will remain stored in their computers sitting their waiting for hackers to pick it off the vine.

Thats just funny :) You don't think your personal information is already out there? Don't be naive. I work for DOD, OPM was hacked last year meaning 18 million federal workers, both past and present, information was stolen, and I'm going to worry about a legitimate CC offer? "In the long run you are the one who is being taken advantage of" I'm being taken advantage of? Thanks for the laugh, that's rich. Some people are scared of their own shadows. ;)

I so hate to break this to you but it really doesn't matter where you obtain credit from, all that information is stored on a computer somewhere. Full disclosure, I am a long time Amazon customer with an rewards credit card. The card actually is issued by Citibank. When you apply, you do so through their portal. Pay, same thing.

So few of us can go completely off the grid. You have to give up too much such as your job would have to involve being in the underground economy where you are paid in cash. Email, forget it. Modern life just doesn't exist that doesn't involve your data. If you want any sort of banking or charge card, even if you go to a small bank and fill out a paper application, someone is going to enter that data into a computer. Then that data is going to get transferred over in the case of a credit card or even debit, to the card issuing organization such as Visa or Mastercard.

As to whom I trust with that data. Home Depot, Target, Marshalls all would seem a poor choice. Amazon is a huge data infrastructure provider. They handle some secure networking for DOD and I think CIA along with a bunch of others agencies. Unfortunately for gov employees, not personnel. Their expertise is pretty deep and unlike the government servers recently hacked, always up to date.

Once again, I'm being the contrarian and offering up a alternative perspective. Am I totally comfortable with everything about me out there, not really but I feel reality says there is very little to do about it and not live under a rock.

• Maxxair 00-05100K MaxxFan Ventillation Fan with White Lid and Manual Opening Keypad Control will be shipped to--------------- by Amazon.com.

Guaranteed delivery: June 27, 2015

Thanks for the recommendation Linda, total price was $140.21

OK just one thing you need to know. It does have a thermostat control up there but no temps or number designations present. A couple of times my grandkids were fooling around and turned it and then I couldn't figure out why my fan wouldn't turn on. Just make sure to check that. I wired mine to the closest light fixture. No 12 volt at the ac opening. White wire held up with stick on wire holders. I think it looks fine

Linda S

You stole that. Couldn't get Amazon to give me the same deal or I would have bought another one for my Nissan

I have a Fantastic fan and it has all the bells and whistles including a rain sensor. Mixed blessings with the rain sensor yes it does close up when it gets rained on the problem is a light rain it will close then dry off open again only to get rained on and close again I can drive you nuts if your trying to sleep I guess the best bet would be a cover that allows you to just leave it open no matter which one you buy.

I have a MaxAir Model 7500K and love it, but haven't tested the rain sensor. But I seem to remember it's not supposed to close all the way if the fan is on or set to operate off the temperature sensor.

We have a generator powered 13.5 K AC, an Endless Breeze Fan and a Fantastic vent fan. 2 of the 3 get used together often. The breeze fan and vent fan work great until its about 80 outside.

I wish I had a chance to install it today. We have a "Relay for Life" event at our local high school today and tomorrow that my daughter and I volunteer for (stay over night, no power hook-ups) ah it's only 87 now and supposed to be in the low 90's tomorrow :(

I saw a couple of youtube videos of people running the smaller BTU capacity portable 15 amp air conditioners using a Honda eu 1000i generator. That type that are roll around air conditioners with hoses for the exhaust. They were powering units such as this 5,000 BTU unit from Fridgidaire http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA053PU1-000-Portable-Conditioner/dp/B004P8K39G that are designed with a low power start up to help prevent tripping circuit breakers. Will it work or won't it, I don't know as I have not tried it but it was working for them without doing any modification to the air conditioner. The generator has to have the eco mode turned off when you power the AC on. I might need a few more BTUs and the ones in the video were larger but they did have the low power start feature so that must be the critical component to look for if you go in this direction for trying it with one of the smaller sized compressors.

My Sunrader is an early version, it does not have one of the roof beams that were added a few years later to prevent roof sag from the weight of an air conditioner. I really don't want to develop a saggy roof so I would rather not install a roof AC.

Low 90's daytime high for this weekend but there is a nice breeze that is coming from offshore over the water of Puget Sound. But the hottest part of the day is over now so I am heading to the Sunrader to get a few hours of work done on my interior remodel.