Changing fuel pump

ArdenL

I have a 1989 Horizon that I cant seem to get started this year. I checked the fuses but they all seem fine want to know if its a hard job changing the fuel pump thats in the tank. Or if any one has any other ideas that I can Ck before I get into this big project. Ok Ive changed the relay and the fuel filter. And neither of those worked any suggestions and an easy wasy to remove tank and get to this fuel pump :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::mad2:

Get a volt meter and verify that the pump is getting voltage when the key is on. I can not tell which wire that would be but there should be two sets, one for the gauge and one for the pump. Unplug one and see if the gauge still works. If the gauge still works you got the right wires. If you end up with 12 volts dc at the connection then maybe the pump is bad but maybe not. The next step would be to verify that the pump is not pumping fuel. Could be something down the line stopping the fuel flow. Maybe disconnect the line and run it into a bucket, etc.. I do not know if there is a secondary pump, maybe someone else can answer that.

There is no easy way to replace the pump. Gas weighs almost the same as water, 8 pounds to the gallon. Its suggested to drain the tank then drop it with a floor jack. The fuel pump is installed thru the top of the tank. A panel unbolts and the entire assembly pulls out. Remember though, gas itself is not flammable, its the fumes that ignite. Never use light bulb type drop lights when working with gas systems. A droped light and broken bulb when on can blow you up.

Any how just my suggestion to verify power and pressure before pulling it out. Can be many reasons for no power. A chiltons manual with a wireing diagram. Its more complex than just getting power from the ignition switch. Have you verified that the fuel injection system has no problems?

Greg