Finally Got My Solar.

whyverne14

I'm the guy who can't plug in at my house cause I gots to park across the street. I'm also the guy recovering from two broken ankles. So I still hadn't even dewinterized. And the battery was way down. So I pushed the button on Amazon for the Renogy 100w kit. When it came I got the kid to carry the panel up and I got a chair and wired it up. Worked right off, the inside battery monitor was showing about 13.9v. Let it go all day, moved it around three times to get the rays. Then I took it apart and put the panel in the cab bed.

Using it as a portable is kind of a pain cause you have to mount and screw in the four wires to the controller each time and they can be a little finicky. A jack system would be nice. Still easier than hauling the generator and dealing with gas and such. Anyway the next morning I went up and the battery was reading 12.7 so I thought that was cool, it was full. But just for the heck of it I hooked it up again and this time the green light was flashing which is supposed to mean over voltage. The inside monitor was showing 14.8v. So I unhooked it.

So now I'm not sure if everything is all right or not. I'm going to wait till the battery gets down to 12.2 and hook it up again and see what happens. Meanwhile I pumped two tankfuls of water to flush and bleach the water system and the battery is still showing 12.5v, so it did a good job charging it. We will see, but I'm quite happy so far.

We're going on our first trip next week. I'm going to go hobble around Pymatuning Lake. It's a plug in so I'm not going to take the panel. I got it for home and the boondocking places. Maybe someday I'll permanently mount it, after I get the more important things done.

Have a good weekend.

You could wire up a flat 4 pole trailer light harness for a quick disconnect. You can get a female jack that has a rubber cover to keep water out. I would suggest also using dielectric grease in the contacts to also help weatherize the harness. The whole thing would be plug in and go. Also any automotive store or even Home Depot carries the harness.

I use Anderson power poles. Every thing is 100 amp connections my ham radios, solar panel even external charging circuits. My solar panel is portable with a home made mount that allows me to both rotate the panel and elevate it 0 to 90* it folds flat to transport the controller is mounted at the panel and connected via a #10 SO cord and the 100 amp power pole.

post-669-0-80484400-1434202906_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-61373600-1434202924_thumb.jpg

I just ordered a 100 watt Windy City system with digital controller. i already bought 30 amp Anderson connectors ($6 for 5 connectors) and 10 gauge marine grade wire to make it portable. The controller includes a temperature sensor for the battery so that the system doesn't overheat the battery. I am going to build a mount similar to what Maineah has, I have some stainless steel to make the mount. While traveling, I will be storing the panel in the bathroom with clips to mount it on the wall behind the toilet.

The controller will handle 300 watts if I decide to add more panels. Correction-The controller will handle 400 watts.

The big reason for going with solar is my 12 volt refrigerator. If I stay in one spot for more than one day, my battery starts to get a little low.

I will post photos of everything when it arrives.

Just installed a 100w Windy City setup for a friend on his trailer. We flat mounted the panel on the roof, ran the wires down refer vent. Mounted the controller near the 12v converter and hooked the controller output to the converter output lugs. That way we did not have to make a long run of wires for thr 12v.

Went out this week end and for the first time they did not have worry about running out of power.

. The inside monitor was showing 14.8v. So I unhooked it.

14.8 volts in not enough to hurt your battery unless it stays that way, non-stop for weeks. Check the specs on your controller. Many will charge at 14.4 to 14.8 volts and then taper down to a constant 13.8 volts.

You could wire up a flat 4 pole trailer light harness for a quick disconnect. You can get a female jack that has a rubber cover to keep water out. I would suggest also using dielectric grease in the contacts to also help weatherize the harness. The whole thing would be plug in and go. Also any automotive store or even Home Depot carries the harness.

My friend suggested that but I was worried if it would handle the current. I don't know such things for sure. Thanks.

I use Anderson power poles. Every thing is 100 amp connections my ham radios, solar panel even external charging circuits. My solar panel is portable with a home made mount that allows me to both rotate the panel and elevate it 0 to 90* it folds flat to transport the controller is mounted at the panel and connected via a #10 SO cord and the 100 amp power pole.

I will look into those. Thanks.

I just ordered a 100 watt Windy City system with digital controller. i already bought 30 amp Anderson connectors ($6 for 5 connectors) and 10 gauge marine grade wire to make it portable. The controller includes a temperature sensor for the battery so that the system doesn't overheat the battery. I am going to build a mount similar to what Maineah has, I have some stainless steel to make the mount. While traveling, I will be storing the panel in the bathroom with clips to mount it on the wall behind the toilet.

The controller will handle 300 watts if I decide to add more panels. Correction-The controller will handle 400 watts.

The big reason for going with solar is my 12 volt refrigerator. If I stay in one spot for more than one day, my battery starts to get a little low.

I will post photos of everything when it arrives.

That sounds good.

14.8 volts in not enough to hurt your battery unless it stays that way, non-stop for weeks. Check the specs on your controller. Many will charge at 14.4 to 14.8 volts and then taper down to a constant 13.8 volts.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't hurt it but I knew I didn't need it. I read with these cheap controllers, if they seem to be acting up then you have to become the controller. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks to everybody for responding.