If You Had To Choose

davidtan

Hi Guys,

So I am shopping for a Dolphin (or any Toyota RV) . I loved them ever since the first time I've seen one. I did not know there was a difference between a sun raider or the different coach makers. I always thought they were all Dolphins. If you has to start all over again. Which model would you pick. I first thought the 22R Manual carburated was the best because of simplicity , but now i'm leaning towards the V6. I'm even starting to like the sun raiders (but they seem pricey) .Not sure if looking at too many is making me nuts... Your 2c's appreciated...

Hi Guys,

So I am shopping for a Dolphin (or any Toyota RV) . I loved them ever since the first time I've seen one. I did not know there was a difference between a sun raider or the different coach makers. I always thought they were all Dolphins. If you has to start all over again. Which model would you pick. I first thought the 22R Manual carburated was the best because of simplicity , but now i'm leaning towards the V6. I'm even starting to like the sun raiders (but they seem pricey) .Not sure if looking at too many is making me nuts... Your 2c's appreciated...

I would still pick the fiberglass Sunrader. I have seen way too many instances of wood rot in the overcab area and on the lower area rear walls in this forum to ever consider buying a wood framed Dolphin or any other make of wood framed motorhome at any time in the future. Most especially since I don't have a garage to store one in.

I had an underpowered motor home once, never again! The 4 cyl is much easier to work on, I don't care. Well I do care, but only when I am working on it. The 4 is more economical fuel wise. Again I don't care, there is nothing economical about a camper anyway.

I have a 93 Sea Breeze V6 auto and I am very happy with the amount of power and pickup it has. I have only drove it in the flatlands of Florida.

It was hard to find a wood framed unit with no water damage or rust, they are out there. I do not have a garage, but believe that if I maintain the roof and windows the wood frame should last indefinitely. Then there is availability, I would have preferred a fiberglass 6 cyl unit if there was one in the area, but I did not want to travel all over the country looking for one.

Jim SW FL

Hi Guys,

They ALL have wood in them, and ALL can get rot. Some more then others and Sunraders have wood in them too. I've stripped a few that got junked. Some of course have less wood then others and Sunrader does not use a wood inner frame-structure like Dolphins use. If you want pure simplicity and fiberglass - get a late 70s Chinook pop-top. Best gas mileage, steel frame and fiberglass for the camper (with some wood), wood-honeycomb floor with aluminum skin, 4.10 rear, 4 speed manual trans (except for a few autos), and the best engine Toyota ever made - 20R. Some makes like Minicruiser use an aluminum RV frame with a few wood cross-supports. I know some people say fuel mileage is not relevant. Well to me it IS. Otherwise -why bother with a Toyota or Nissan? My Dodge truck with a slide-on pop-top camper gets 17 MPG @ 70 MPH. None of these Toyotas can match that - except maybe a few pop-top Chinooks. On a relative scale, the three liter Toyota V6 is a dog. More trouble-prone then the 20R or 22R or 22REC, worse fuel mileage, and harder to work on. Not a "bad" engine, just not as good as the others. As far as ultimate fuel mileage goes -with a fixed roof 20-21 footer - seems the carbed models with standard trans do the best.

Hi Guys,

Myself, I would go with a fiberglass body for all the reasons stated prior. I am not fond of aluminum sticks & staples motorhomes.

I do not know where you are expecting to travel so I can't offer any advise on your engine choice..Although the 4 cyl in either version. carbed or EFI is easier & less costly to maintain...this is only my opinion......there are MANY others on here with a lot more knowledge of Toyota coaches than me. So take my advice lightly & good luck.....I think the Sunraders are worth more in general...

I also think that someone on this forum has a real nice one for sale...................donnie

Its been said (often) that there are no bad motor homes, only bad previous owners. Find a good one and never mind the model. The big thing is v-6 vs I-4 and even that is dependent on maintenance.

The big thing is v-6 vs I-4 and even that is dependent on maintenance.

The biggest 'ticket' higher cost maintenance item for the V6 is the valve clearance check/adjust and timing belt @ 60k mile intervals. But how many V6s have taken 20 (or more) years to get to 60k? So averaged out, not really so bad. But if you don't expect it, the 'big ticket' is pretty big!

I'd go with a rear dinette area, v6, 5 speed. Love the Odyssey Americana. Just got a rough quote from Toyota dealership for valve adjustment 500-600 dollars.

I have a 21' '87 Sunrader, and I really do love it. But if I had it to do over again, next time I'd get something smaller. A Sunrader shorty, Mirage, Bandit, Chinook, or Sandtana with a manual transmission. Finding one in good condition is the trick. But I keep looking. :meh: