Windows 10

A new Windows icon just came up on the right side of my taskbar. When I clicked on it, it was an offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Has anyone else had this offer? Does anyone know anything about Windows 10?

This is supposedly a full version of 10, limited time offer, 3 Gb download.

A new Windows icon just came up on the right side of my taskbar. When I clicked on it, it was an offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Has anyone else had this offer? Does anyone know anything about Windows 10?

This is supposedly a full version of 10, limited time offer, 3 Gb download.

Looking at the internet to see what it is about is that is an advert from Microsoft that loaded when you did your standard automatic update. It is essentially a reservation for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it does finally become available. Supposedly there will be a free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8 and 8.1 that will be good for one year after the release of the non beta version of Windows 10.

What you want to be aware of is if you click on that icon to reserve the free upgrade then as soon as it becomes available it will automatically upload it to your computer as part of an automatic normal everyday type of update. Of course it can't install it without some extra clicks from you to do the final install authorization so don't panic about it uploading and then taking over your machine. But a long automatic upload into my computer of a large program is not something I would want to have happen when I fire it up to do work. You would want to have time to plan out a backup of your computer and files. You would want to know before you upgrade if all of your hardware components and programs are going to be compatible. I myself would prefer to wait until the last couple of months of the free period to make the switch if I did decide to make it and quit likely I will as there are things about 8 and 8.1 that I don't care for. Waiting longer gives the hardware component companies and software companies more time to get the bugs out of the software coding they created at the early end of the release of Windows 10.

Hey corbin k, thanks for the input.

Yeah, one thing I worry about is the browser. 10 appears to have its own which I am afraid will be exclusive. I like Firefox and I'm sure MS would like to exclude that.

Firefox and Chrome will work fine. The new browser gets rid of a lot of legacy stuff that MS has had to live with because corporate clients built web apps as part of their business infrastructure that included stuff like active X and such. That crap is gone with the new browser but even still, nothing preventing you from installing something else.

I too am very used to firefox but have some serious issues with how it handles flash and some other stuff. Chrome has so much stuff working in the background even when not open that I've all but given up on it especially with a couple older machines I have. I've got a Lenovo Flex laptop, a tablet and Nokia phone that I've set for Windows 10. Very interested to see how well it syncs across all devices. That has been what both Apple and MS have tried but not really worked all out yet.

Thanks, Don

Let us know how you like 10! July 29, right?

Hey corbin k, thanks for the input.

Yeah, one thing I worry about is the browser. 10 appears to have its own which I am afraid will be exclusive. I like Firefox and I'm sure MS would like to exclude that.

Firefox has already put out a version compatible with Windows 10 so no worries :)

Thanks, Don

Let us know how you like 10! July 29, right?

I'm not much on being an early adopter. I'll wait till the dust settles. There are always hiccups. I'm way too busy in the summer anyway. Early Sept when things start winding down from my busy season will likely be when I give a go. Didn't even bother with the beta releases with this one like I did with 7 & 8. It's an operating system and I've worked with plenty of them. Think I'm getting jaded.