Trying To Get My Chinook Water Tight

knewduhmi

I am certain to be of limited help but perhaps a bit more detail as to where it is leaking might help. I did a quick search for chinook but nothing common in the threads regarding leaking. I chased water coming into mine for a few years and know it can be really frustrating. This year I decided I had enough and stripped the roof down and redid it. Where it is leaking is often the biggest clue. I had leaks all over and once stripped down the aluminum top to my Itasca looked like swiss cheese. Obviously coming from somewhere. Can you give us any hints?

I have a 75 Toyota chinook pop up, it has a few leaks, wanted to know what to use to seal it best

You need to ascertain exactly WHAT is leaking. Chinook pop-top has many small bolts that goe through the roof, along with window-seals that can leak.

i have a few leaks,1 in the upper storage compartment,1 on both driver and passenger sides leaking on to the floor mats, and 1 passenger side rear window, which gets my couch/bed wet.

post-8269-0-58928300-1432755152_thumb.jppost-8269-0-21919400-1432755187_thumb.jppost-8269-0-37310800-1432755208_thumb.jppost-8269-0-91708900-1432755238_thumb.jp

Dicor Lap Sealant for around the screw and bolts and that edge. Can be had on Amazon or any RV place. Self leveling where you want it to ooz around and settle into it. Non-Sag for any vertical applications. Can't help with that edge seal or windows. I am only slightly expert at one 87 Itasca. Others will likely chime in with more specifics.

Clean all the old crap out as completely as possible.

i have a few leaks,1 in the upper storage compartment,1 on both driver and passenger sides leaking on to the floor mats, and 1 passenger side rear window, which gets my couch/bed wet.

attachicon.gifIMG_0371.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0372.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0373.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0374.JPG

I've been using Osi Quad for an RV sealant that have to fill gaps (especially vertical) - like for window mounts. Home Depot sells it. I was just visiting a big RV place in Michigan and was surprised to see that's what they are using too. Quad for mountings with substantial gaps and vertical runs and Dicor for things like sealing roofs with lapped aluminum and horizontal surfaces.

There is a very informative article on the net showing how to pressurize your RV in order to find leaks, expecially on the roof. You can Google "Simple leak test to find udndetcted leaks" and it will come up. I had a leak on my 1989 Dolphin and used a carpet blower to pressurize the cabin through a window. I used childrens's play bubble spray (Walmart) to apply at suspect locations. Just like in the article, a large bubble appeared above two of the front roof running lights.

My son is in large building commercial construction and swears by Dow-Corning 795 sealant. His contractors love it because it withstands UV and is very flexible once cured. It seems to me that the flexibility issue is very important as we all know how RV 's tend to move while driving. I installed my new running lights two years ago and used clear GE silicone as my sealant. On both lights, the sealant had cracked and pulled away from the housing allowing water to enter. I re-sealed all 5 lights yesterday using the 795. We will see how it works

• 2 weeks later...

I'd double check the seals on all the windows.

As for the area around the floormats, I'd check the rain tray and see if it looks like it's rusted inside. Do you notice any wetness under the dash? It's possible there is a leak around the windshield.

Nice to see a fellow Chinook owner on here.