Appliances don't work?

before lighting the hot water tank, how long before you should be able to smell gas from the pilot? The propane tank on my '85 shows to be half full but it's old. When I disconnected it though, and opened the valve it definitely showed pressure and a lot of gas came out. So I hooked it back up to the hose and turned on the gas valve.

I went over to the other side of the coach and tried to light the pilot for the hot water tank, but could not. I depressed the red priming button for several minutes to let gas get over there, and tried over & over again to light it. No go. So I pressed that red button down again, this time for several more minutes and still could not smell gas - and it still would not light. Motorhome was stored by previous owner for years before I got it.

Next I tried the fridge. Same deal; I turned on the gas and pressed the button for several minutes. There's another button to press to light it but I have no idea if that peizo lighter is even working. How do you tell? When I'm on 110V, I can hear the movment inside the fridge but I'm never really satisfied that it's working. That's why I figured I'd try gas.

The old propane tank that's in the coach has a level gauge on top, and it shows half full. I tried to get the regulator off it, to put on another tank that is for my BBQ but could not get that regulator off it. Could the propane just be old? Is the propane the same as what's in my back yard BBQ tank? The fitting size looks the same and I'd like to try that one if I can get the regulator off the old one in the motorhome. The one for the BBQ does not have the flange on it, to be bolted down like that old one does, so it would just be used to try the appliances one more time before buying new ones.

Thanks! Paul in San Diego

<newbie motorhome owner>

Edited by SanDiegoPaul