12Vdc Refrigeration

At noon on a sunny day I've seen over 15 amps going into the batteries from our two 120w panels.

We're very happy with the way things have worked out so far.

You must have a lot better sun then I've ever gotten in cental NY or northern Michigan. The most I've ever read on a 120 watt panel (Kyocera, Evergreen, or Sharp) was 6.8 amp @ 14 volts amps in full sun. I've had the same do 8 amps in extreme cold and snow white-out conditions. Glad your system is working well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

mustrmrk, on 11 Jul 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:snapback.png

At noon on a sunny day I've seen over 15 amps going into the batteries from our two 120w panels.

isnt that about the same as :

The most I've ever read on a 120 watt panel (Kyocera, Evergreen, or Sharp) was 6.8 amp @ 14 volts amps in full sun

You may very well be correct. I hadn't really thought about it. The Kyocera 120 watt panel has the following specs:

Maximum Power: 120 watts
Maximum Power Voltage: 16.9 volts
Maximum Power Current: 7.10 amps
Open Circuit Voltage: 21.5 Voc

Short-circuit Current: 7.45 amps

So at best-case maximum output I should never see more than 14.2 from the two panels - and that's with no losses.

The "15.2" amps I saw was on the solar controller. It's a BZ250 MPPT, and not very well thought of in the industry. Just this morning I was looking at my Link 10 battery meter and noticed that it said there were 3.4 amps going in. This includes the 0.5a load from the inverter at rest and no other loads, for a total of 3.9 amps. However, the BZ controller was reading 4.5 amps in - that's 0.6 amps over my trusty Link 10. I'll have to keep an eye on things to see what I'm really getting.

All this being said, we've kept everything cold, had loads of room in the fridge, and not been plugged in for about 3 weeks so far.

All this being said, we've kept everything cold, had loads of room in the fridge, and not been plugged in for about 3 weeks so far.

The fact that it works for you is all that counts. I ran a large, 5.8 cubic foot refrigerator all summer in a very "low sun" area in the Adirondack woods on a pair of 120 watt panels and a battery. No problems. For all I know, just one panel may of worked as well. But that was with a Sundanzer 12 volt unit that is one of the most efficient on the planet.