Selling Our Sunrader

Debbit

I know it needs to be in the classified, but I'm out of town and have been for a month. Long story, but we are going to sell our 86 sunrader. When I get home, I'll post a proper ad, with pictures. Everything works, no leaks, runs like a champ. We've done a lot to it, and it is a great little motor home. We will be selling it for around $8000.

post-7310-0-62868500-1429666259_thumb.jp

Thanks for your concern Linda. we are ok, but family responsibilities cause us to be traveling a lot. And not fun trips like last year's wonderful wandering jaunt to the Grand Canyon and back in the sunrader. But hurry up and get there trips. Definite destinations with a purpose and a deadline. So yeah, we are selling both the westfalia and the sunrader to find something faster and smaller. Both will be very hard to part with. So will keep this forum posted.

I can't help but wonder, what is smaller and faster.

Linda s

Yes, inquiring minds want to know

WME

I'll be interested to see the photos and hear the specifics of it. I don't think I'm in the market, but I'm starting to look more and more at the 18' Sunraders...

It seems the Chinooks just used really thin plastic with a little fiberglass laid underneath, rather than a real, solid fiberglass shell like Sunraders have. But then I don't know how important it really is, in the end. I do like my Chinook. But a Sunrader of basically the same length sure feels a lot more like a motorhome, with a lot more space, than the Chinook.

I'll be interested to see the photos and hear the specifics of it. I don't think I'm in the market, but I'm starting to look more and more at the 18' Sunraders...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Debbit's Sunrader is a 21'.

Perfect. That means I don't have to worry about buying it :)

Karin, have you been inside many of the sprinter vans? I went to an RV show over the winter, and was very underwhelmed with new RVs. Pull behind campers seem to have nice, open layouts, but for some reason with RVs, they just try to jam so much in there, there's no SPACE.

The Mercedes and other vans like it, especially, were seriously cramped. I walked into one, and thought "why would anyone pay over $100,000 to feel like they're camping in the worlds smallest airplane coach?" That's the feel it had. Super narrow, two rows of captains chairs with a tiny little aisle between them, overhead bins and everything. I wouldn't want spend a weekend in that thing, even just by myself.

Even the bigger ones were pretty much just as cramped.

Anyway...a little off topic.

I am on the lookout for an 18' Sunrader, though I don't know yet quite how seriously...Probably in my price range, they're going to be projects. Not sure I want another project just yet.

Perfect. That means I don't have to worry about buying it :)

Karin, have you been inside many of the sprinter vans? I went to an RV show over the winter, and was very underwhelmed with new RVs. Pull behind campers seem to have nice, open layouts, but for some reason with RVs, they just try to jam so much in there, there's no SPACE.

The Mercedes and other vans like it, especially, were seriously cramped. I walked into one, and thought "why would anyone pay over $100,000 to feel like they're camping in the worlds smallest airplane coach?" That's the feel it had. Super narrow, two rows of captains chairs with a tiny little aisle between them, overhead bins and everything. I wouldn't want spend a weekend in that thing, even just by myself.

Even the bigger ones were pretty much just as cramped.

Anyway...a little off topic.

I am on the lookout for an 18' Sunrader, though I don't know yet quite how seriously...Probably in my price range, they're going to be projects. Not sure I want another project just yet.

The ones I have really liked were built out by a couple of different friends of mine. I don't care for any of the large commercial RV interiors of any kind that I have seen at an RV store or on an RV lot. The width of the vans is no so much an issue as they always put in a double bed arrangement which leaves no space for a work bench.

That makes sense then. I didn't see a single small RV that I'd rather have over my Chinook. Which seems kinda sad. But yeah, give me the vehicle with the camper shell built onto it, empty inside, and I'll make something I like!

I like speed too, I have thought about buying a full size van and put in a fiberglass topper and bunk beds and shower/loo combo, but $30k plus topper cost is keeping me from it.

I need something small for the girls to have privacy when we are out at the beach and out fishing for salmon.

Sprinter van are quite "narrow" plus the drive train is a nightmare,

stick to chevy/ford cutaway.

I spoke to the Canadian custom shell place and they will make a custom shell out of aluminum for $1k/ft, for a 16ft shell will cost $16k but you have a top of the line shell that will outlast ya. but then again cost:

cutaway $28k+$16k= mucho mulas

Op, I love your sunrader, I see you redid the inside, did you build custom cabinets?

Debbit lucked out and even though her Sunrader is an 86 she got the upgraded roof beam and cabinets

that didn't come standard until 1987. I believe she just painted the cabinets and a very nice job at

that

Linda S

so the construction of the sunraders was changed in 87?, is that for both 18ft model and 22ft model?

The beam in the roof was added and the cabinet style changed in all models. Maybe some different

upholsteries. Not much else. I don't really call that stuff construction except for the beam.

Linda S

Hey linda,

Is this the beam they added?

sunrader_7_1428518114.jpg

I've seen a couple older Tigers around this spring. They look really good from the outside. But I still haven't seen them on a vehicle that gets better than probably 9mpg yet.

My Tiger is on a Chevy Astro chassis and gets about 15 mpg. The newer ones are all on regular truck chassis and get the expected lower mileage. Very hard to find though. Only one in the country that I know of for sale right now is a 2005 for 35 grand.

Linda S

My Tiger is on a Chevy Astro chassis and gets about 15 mpg. The newer ones are all on regular truck chassis and get the expected lower mileage. Very hard to find though. Only one in the country that I know of for sale right now is a 2005 for 35 grand.

Linda S

Linda, post a pic of your tiger pls, I luv those tigers,

I am computer illiterate tonight. I've been attempting to navigate the classified side here for a while. I'll try again later.

In the meantime, here is my craigslist ad.

http://lascruces.craigslist.org/rvs/5001141638.html

Ok. I just need to get photos resized and will post ad here. We adjusted price to $7000.

Wonder if that is a fair price.

Here is a tiger provan 2002 double cab 4x4 with a Diesel engine! I was looking to buy one 2 years ago, this was the only one I could find and it was on the other side of the US from me. A Sunrader with some power!! Some day I'd like to put a 1kzte diesel motor in my Sunrader! The double cab is what I really wanted. Travel with more than two people is a downer in the Sunrader setup, as seating is at extreme ends of the rig, not ideal. But once at your destination the Rader is Great!!

post-7537-0-98606000-1430370250_thumb.jp

Nice. Not sure that I agree with the concept of putting space into passenger vehicle use over using that space for camper/coach space, but I'm sure there are people that prefer that setup. I'd rather have 3 more feet of camper and get rid of the double cab. Pretty cool, though.

Nice. Not sure that I agree with the concept of putting space into passenger vehicle use over using that space for camper/coach space, but I'm sure there are people that prefer that setup. I'd rather have 3 more feet of camper and get rid of the double cab. Pretty cool, though.

I want a double cab, call me crazy but I want the most precious things I have life (my family) to be safe.

I like a sandwich wall but not sure if I want to be behind it when being t-boned by a drunk driver.

:-)

Yeah, you're one of the "people who prefer that setup", then.

If I had more than myself and one other person, I would sure want a bigger camper than the one pictured. For me, that truck/camper combo is an inefficient use of space. 3 more feet of camper and no double cab makes more sense. I would assume a family would want a much bigger camper than that, double cab or not. So I'm definitely only making that statement in regards to this particular camper.

But yeah, for a minimalist family who just wants the camper for the stove, bathroom and place to eat out of the elements if it gets nasty, but wants everyone in a true car seat with seatbelts, that camper would work alright. As it is, it just seems like way too small a camper to justify a quad cab. It's the size camper a single person or a couple without children would typically want.