Shower Replacement Panels

Mrlope

Hello Toyota Motorhomers,

In the process of fixing up my beautiful 91' Warrior, I'm currently ripping out the foam insulation and plywood in the shower area due to water damage; rot and mold. Does anyone have any tips for gluing the exterior to the interior?

The only way I see to do it is to take apart the seam from the outside to be able to clamp everything down with some Gorilla glue.

Also, I haven't decided what to replace the cruddy Luan stuff on the interior shower with. It obviously didn't stay too waterproof over the years. Looking for just some heavy duty plastic paneling online hasn't produced much.

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations!

Lope

post-8183-0-15430500-1429292465_thumb.jp

Check out FRP for the paneling.

Think about just using some plywood construction adhesive.

I had a similar problem with the Itasca I bought. Rot on both ends, berth and rear wall due to water leakage. I looked at the FRP as I was thinking about using it for the ceilings in addition to the shower. I ended up using tile board. instead. It was pretty easy to work with but like the FRP was heavier than what I took out. This was one of the biggest considerations for my remodel. I paid close attention to how much I was pulling out and how much I put back in. Carpet for laminate flooring, closet I used thin cedar which was really light and so forth. The ceiling panels I used 1/8" thick plywood I got from a specialty place that carried marine and furniture grade plywood. All with the notion of not making the whole rig heavier than what I started with.

Below is a picture of the tile board.

sink_wall.jpg

looks real nice is it like a plastic looks like the wall I put around a tub in my house myn is thin PVC with strofoam back. been in 18 years

looks real nice is it like a plastic looks like the wall I put around a tub in my house myn is thin PVC with strofoam back. been in 18 years

Plastic coated water resistant masonite tile board. Decent texture and looks. Easy to keep clean. Used liquid nails to adhere to what was left of the ripped out rotted wall. Used a lot of sealant at the seam both top and bottom. The entire back including the closet was damaged from a persistent leak the previous owner did a poor job repairing. It was a mess. I would have divided up this wall with only the shower area getting the tile board and the rest the cedar I used in the closet. Even planned to use it in the front berth area but the wife vetoed it. She is not a fan of that kind of rustic look. But the stuff is crazy light and easy to work with. Here is the closet and the said rustic look. Not suited for a wet area but I liked how it turned out.

cedar_closet.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/27/2016 at 8:35 PM, Jaunt said:

Any updates?

Hey Jaunt, sorry for taking so long to reply.  I ended up finding quality FRP at a local store here with quality FRP glue, which is important.  Liquid nails did not adhere to my satisfaction, but the Titebond Fast Grab worked great!  

Sorry, was having problems uploading pictures here, so they're on imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/aqJ45

On 6/10/2016 at 2:08 PM, Mrlope said:

Hey Jaunt, sorry for taking so long to reply.  I ended up finding quality FRP at a local store here with quality FRP glue, which is important.  Liquid nails did not adhere to my satisfaction, but the Titebond Fast Grab worked great!  

Sorry, was having problems uploading pictures here, so they're on imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/aqJ45

Bad @$$!  I just got done redoing mine as well, I did it a bit differently... im happy with it, it was a shit load of work though... lol.

81746fo.jpg

0OSbR7i.jpg

1ci6ifP.jpg

Edited by Jaunt

• 11 months later...
On 6/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, Jaunt said:

Bad @$$!  I just got done redoing mine as well, I did it a bit differently... im happy with it, it was a shit load of work though... lol.

81746fo.jpg

0OSbR7i.jpg

1ci6ifP.jpg

Hey Jaunt both yours and mrlope have the exact bath setup that I have. The previous owner on mine took out the shower and toilet and vanity and I want to put something back in its place. What did you use for your shower walls and pan? I have a blank slate at those point and want to do it right. Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-18 at 4:23 AM, vizualeyesit said:

Hey Jaunt both yours and mrlope have the exact bath setup that I have. The previous owner on mine took out the shower and toilet and vanity and I want to put something back in its place. What did you use for your shower walls and pan? I have a blank slate at those point and want to do it right. Thanks so much!

I used FRP paneling for the walls, you can get it at Home Depot, the shower pan was already there I just resealed around the bottom, sorry for the late reply I haven't logged on in a while.

Liquid Nails construction adhesive to stick it to the walls.