Life Expectancy Of A 1991 Winnebago Warrior Transmission

My home has only 40k on a newly installed engine, but almost 145k on the trans. Wondering what people tend to get on the trans. And if I should consider rebuilding it before any issues present themselves. It seems to shift great through all gears, including od. Also my rear end has a bit of oil on it, should I considering going through it as well? Have a big summer ahead of myself

Have you changed you fluid lately. Do the rear and the trannie. Get under the rear and find out where it's coming from. Let us know and someone here will have an idea what it could be. I would never spend money for a rebuild on a trannie that was working perfectly. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Linda S

Thanks for the reply linda!

I have not changed either the rear end or trans fluid since owning. Though the trans fluid looked good when I checked. I will take a picture when I get home and see if we can pinpoint the leak.

The only reason I would consider rebuilding is so I don't end up stranded. But that may be silly i suppose

Yeah changing fluid is the thing to make sure you don't get stranded. Always good to have nice new fluids in any vehicle. I have had a few trannie failures but never without some warning. Never in a Toyota though

Linda S

So in your opinion, the mileage shouldn't be a big issue if everything is working properly?

I'm not a transmission mechanic and I have no way to know how well your transmission has been cared for. I just think your transmission will let you know long before it fails. I had a Dodge van with a slipping trannie I drove on a several thousand mile trip. it just went very slow uphill. Made it home though

Linda S

That is a hard call. If the transmission has been serviced properly then yes it is OK to change the fluid. But if it has never been changed then I would not do it, the chance is pretty high it would kill it. If the fluid is nice and red and has no smell to it then I would just go ahead and drive it. They are amazingly tough transmissions. The normal service for a unit that is worked hard (like in a toy home) would be every 30K. As far as the rear it is fairly normal for the gasket to weep a little bit (damp) but if it's wet then you have a leak. It is perfectly fine to change the gear oil no matter what the mileage.

My home has only 40k on a newly installed engine, but almost 145k on the trans. Wondering what people tend to get on the trans. And if I should consider rebuilding it before any issues present themselves. It seems to shift great through all gears, including od. Also my rear end has a bit of oil on it, should I considering going through it as well? Have a big summer ahead of myself

150K miles is a figure that often gets thrown around but it certainly is no set rule. It all depends on how many times that trans has been overly hot, and how many times it has shifted in its life. One trans can have 200K miles of mostly flat highway driving in 3rd gear and still be nearly like new inside. Another can have 70K miles on it with lots of stop and go driving, lots of shifts, hill-climbs, and be worn out. If it shifts well now, even when cold - I'd leave it alone except maybe an oil-change. Even that can be "iffy." Old oil can be just as good as new oil if it was quality to start with and never overheated. Toyota used to state in some older manuals that changing automatic transmission oil is not a necessary part of routine maintenance.

As far as your rear-axle goes? See where the leak is and WHAT it is. Determine if it's gear oil or brake fluid. If you see seepage by the bottom of the areas where the wheels attach - it could be either. If at the pinion-flange where the driveshaft attaches - it's gear oil. Either can be a complicated repair if you are ill-informed, and fairly easy if you know exactly what you are doing. I've seen many a rear axle get ruined by a simple oil-seal change in the pinion. Very easy to get the bearing pre-load wrong and burn up the pinion bearing quick.

The rear-axle has two sets of oil seals per side to keep gear oil from escaping the rear. If the outer seal leaks - you will not see it until your brakes are soaked with oil. If the inner seal leaks - it will be dripping on the ground out the bottom.

The rear-axle has two sets of oil seals per side to keep gear oil from escaping the rear. If the outer seal leaks - you will not see it until your brakes are soaked with oil. If the inner seal leaks - it will be dripping on the ground out the bottom.

My comment was wrong. Too early in the morning and I was thinking of something else. If the little stationary outer seal leaks - all that happens is the bearing get gear oil in them - just as many US type full-floaters do by design. If the large inner rotating seal leaks oil, it usually means both seals are leaking, bearing-case is full of oil, and now it's escaping.

Here are a few pictures of the leaking.. It def looks like grease from the rear end

Photo 2

post-6085-0-78881000-1428975841_thumb.jp

Photo 3

Photo

Photo

From what I see in the photo, it's nothing I'd worry about. May be from years of a slight amount of "oil mist" coming out that rear-axle vent on top - mixed with dirt. I just check the oil level and make sure it is not over-full. Or if you want, drain it and put in some fresh GL-5 rated oil.

• 1 month later...

there is a little valve above your "leak" that should wobble around easily to the touch. It can be cleaned. Check your rear end fluid - just like any other vehicle. If you do not know if it has been changed might be a good idea.

AS for the tranny - as long as they are not overheated they are bullet proof. I change the ATF fluid in mine by draining the pan and replacing the 2 or so qt's that come out -- mine has a drain plug on the tranny pan. Done every 10-20k miles MOST of the fluid is replaced. I do not believe in "power flushes " or anything remotely similar. They may break away small dried residue which if it finds it's way to one of many orifices in the controllers can cause bug problems