Refrigerator help!

esther39

I have an 1985 Toyota Savannah. The refrigerator works great when I'm hooked up to electric, but on propane, it barely stays cool. I had it checked out and was told to buy a new refrigerator. From what I see, they go for $800+. Can anyone offer an alternative solution or tell me where I could get a new or used frig? thanks!

Usually if your refrigerator is bad it will not work on any thing, electric or propane. And usually they work better on propane. My guess is you may have some rust or soot build up inside the tube where the pilots heat travels up. Here is a good link http://www.rvmobile.com/. Your burner may be cloged and not allowing enough flame. So if it works good on electric it should work better on propane. Most likely just needs a little TLC. When you go to the web site above go to the page on how they work. Then open the larger picture (49k one). Down on the lower right corner you will see a "element holder and a baffle". The baffle is where the propane flame travels up, the element holder is where the heating element for the 120 volt is attatched or actually the element holder is a tube that the element slides down into. There is the of chance that the baffle has roted out and if thats the case the flame heat will not transfer into the boiler tube properly.

Greg

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem.....actually worse because mine will not cool at all on gas. The burner lights well enough, but it appears that the gas thermostat is faulty. The flame does not get any larger no matter what the thermostat setting...it really is burning at a "pilot" level. The stack has been cleaned so that is not the problem with mine.

Perhaps your problem is also in the thermostat. Let us know and good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi - you have probably dealt with your refer issue by now, but if not, check the gas orofice, they get clogged after a few years - also check the chimney above the burner for soot in the pipe. If it works on AC, that's good, as it means the cooling unit is fine which is the most expensive part. I took mine to a place that specializes in gas appliances and for $40 they serviced and cleaned the propane system and it now works like new. If you are located anywhere near Willits, Ca. check out Jeff's gas appliance repair. I have had excellent resuls there.

Regards,

Bill