Yearly Registration Fees

passman

Curiosity question, for those of you that have yearly registration fees on autos, how much do you pay for these small motor homes? I just got my first yearly registration bill after buying it last year and at $116 a year that’s over half of what I pay to insure it for a year. Cars in Washington State are $30+ a year, this seemed a bit excessive. Just wondered what others are paying?

Passman, What state are you in???

I pay Nada! Zilch! Nothing! In Mississippi, for vehicles over age 25, you pay a one time tag fee of $25 for an antique tag. Never renew it. Good for life and totally free after that first registration. Just one more benefit of living in this beautiful state! I just tagged my 1966 Mustang 2+2 a couple weeks ago. $25.00!

Um, Washington State. It was worse years ago when registration was a percentage of the perceived value (perceived by the state). Imagine owning a Lexus or the like.

Maine taxes vehicles on their original cost it goes down with age. In Maine they also hit you with sales tax when you first register it also. I think in many states you can register a 25 year old vehicle as an antique and save a bundle on road taxes.

It's going to depend on the state, obviously. I'd check with the DMV to see if it's registered as some special type of vehicle or something. In Montana, it's based on the vehicle's worth. So it will go down with age.

My late 80's, early 90's vehicles were usually around $40-60 a year. Once your vehicle is 10 years old, you can choose to buy permanent registration, which I think they charge whatever two years worth of registration would be for that particular vehicle (again based on what it's worth).

My Chinook cost me around $250, to switch the title from Washington to Montana, get new plates, and permanently register it. So long as I'm a resident of Montana, I never have to pay again. And I have a sticker on my license plate that says "Perm" :)

Washington Drivers License and License Plates

More items to consider with Washington state taxes are the Washington drivers license and license plates and tags fees. All of these fees vary by state, so these Washington state taxes are something to compare and to take into consideration when choosing an RV domicile. Most of these fees are reoccurring.

• Washington License Fees:
    $45 for 5 yrs
  • Tax when registering vehicle from out of state:
    Varies by county
  • Title Fees:
    $5
  • Vehicle Safety Inspection or Emissions Testing?
    Safety; no

Emissions; yes, every other year in some counties
  • Annual Tags Fees:
    $30 plus fee based on weight
  • Varies, $43.75-63.75 Motorhomes: $111.75

Travel Trailers:

From
here
. Looks like it's just pricey there....

Washington Drivers License and License Plates

More items to consider with Washington state taxes are the Washington drivers license and license plates and tags fees. All of these fees vary by state, so these Washington state taxes are something to compare and to take into consideration when choosing an RV domicile. Most of these fees are reoccurring.

• Washington License Fees:
    $45 for 5 yrs
  • Tax when registering vehicle from out of state:
    Varies by county
  • Title Fees:
    $5
  • Vehicle Safety Inspection or Emissions Testing?
    Safety; no

Emissions; yes, every other year in some counties
  • Annual Tags Fees:
    $30 plus fee based on weight
  • Varies, $43.75-63.75 Motorhomes: $111.75

Travel Trailers:

From
here
. Looks like it's just pricey there....

Some of that info is dated though so it's even more pricey ;)

Well, hopefully that means you have better roads and services than the states with cheaper registration fees...

The fees start off earmarked for the roads but unfortunately, just like in the other Washington they end up in some politician’s pet project. The majority of roads in this state are in pretty sad shape :(

not really I just got my dolphin tabs 111 dollors the good news the mandatory 7 year plate replacement has been repealed . you can keep your plate for as long as you want if it is in good shape . big expoza of 3 M corp push to sell a lot of product to the state at your exp more money for the cons who make them at walla walla pen. but now each time a nything is sold a total new licence is required. and ya you can buy the minimam 25000 or 50000 ins but I would not . I have 300.000 because of people who have no insurance or not enough.we do have a very high state gas tax here . I forgot to say they where charging 24 bucks every seven for new plates just to rip you off but there got too be a big stink about that.

no smog test east of the cascades except Spokane area and no state safety check. yes high fees for driver licence 54 dollors. and if you bring a a car truck RV in to Washington to register you are required to get out of state inspection

no smog test east of the cascades except Spokane area and no state safety check. yes high fees for driver licence 45 dollors. and if you bring a a car truck RV in to Washington to register you are required to get out of state inspection

No smog test where I am west of the cascades either, drivers license is now $54 for 6 years and I bought my toy in Oregon last April and registered it here with no out of state inspection required

that must have changed and ya I remember the driver license is 54 for 6 now. thanks the pull trailer tabs are pretty low I think. my 4wd 88 xtra cab is about 60 bucks

maybe convict labor went up LOL 3 M company has a monopoly in all 50 states from what our paper said they were exposed as doing a lot of wining and buying in the state capital here and they where totally pushing the 7 year plate replacement they were charging 24 dollars on top of the too high rate. they just repealed it so at 111.75 plus 24 more we had the neatest article in our paper showing who was in bed with who politicians the state prison and 3 m corp they make the plate material. and they where touting how much they made for the prison.

• 4 weeks later...

'87 Odyssey in Arizona just renewed for 1 year- $19.75 registration + $12.25 emissions test (Passed with flying colors).