My 90 V6 has a full rebuild before I parked it. I am hoping it to get back on the road this year.

I have read that the 22R Auto trans does not have a locking torque converter.

How about the v6 engines, do their Auto trans have a locking torque converter?

In the absence locking feature, what is best practice for the auto trans, keep it in D3 when driving through small bunny hills?

Linda, you mentioned you keep yours in D3, pls share if you have notice any increase in Engine temps, etc?

Quality ATF

If I remember right, these transmissions take Dex III.

I am thinking of selling a few pints of my blood to get some compatible Amsoil ATF and drain and fill with it.

My rig will not see any winter use, just summer and fall fishing, summers here do get hot, 100F.

Biggest killer of any automatic trans is excessive heat. A torque-converter is basically a big oil heater. The more it slips, the more heat it makes. If a trans has a lock-up torque-converter, it then has NO torque-converter once in lock-up mode. So in theory, a trans with lock-up can run a lot cooler assuming it's not lugging the engine badly and making the engine run hotter.

In regard to your rig - I suggest you install a trans-oil temp gauge and then you will know for sure what is going on. Keeping cruising temps at 230-240 F will help the trans last a long time. If you hit 270-290F a lot when climbing hills, trans life will be shortened a lot regardless of what trans you have. If your trans has the ability to achieve converter lockup in 3rd gear (not OD) - it's probably running fairly cool most of the time. I'm not sure it can lock in 3rd without looking up your trans specs., but I assume it can.

My 21 foot 1988 with a 2.4 engine and A43D trans (no lock-up) runs 230 F on a flat highway cruise in 3rd gear. If I put in in 4th OD it climbs to 240F. This on days when it's 85F outside. When I climb a long steep hill temps climb to 270-290F and then it cools right back down as soon as the road is flat again.

Somebody else posted here awhile back with a 3 liter V6 and lock-up trans like yours and reported the same general temps as mine when doing long hill-climbs.

Yes I run in 3rd gear only but mine is a 22re not the V6. Much different transmission and I really don't have any experience with them. You also have an ECT switch that changes the shift points. Don't know if that effects the heat either. I haven't heard of many a340e failures though.

Linda S

Maris & I both covered this heat thing . HEAT IS THE KILLER OF ALL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS'....Install a gauge & the largest cooler that will fit.

Avoid lugging you engine........Remember the truck is loaded ALL THE TIME......I posted earlier on running 3rd or 4th....There are 2 schools on this..

Your V6 could have a lock up converter, but need to look at the ID to be sure. The A43DL would indicate a lock up clutch & A43DLE would have electronic control & a lock up clutch...Not sure what you have.....Volvo's used a lock up clutch before Toy Homes..as they were lighter & the only time that the converter clutch is used is when you are cruising under light throttle..There are controls to unlock it if the computer senses a load is being called for. It reads the throttle position sensor (TPS) & the vacuum sensor to see how hard the engine is working.

THE ABOVE DESCRIPTION OF HOW THE CONVERTER CLUTCH WORKS IS CONSIDERABLY MORE INVOLVED, but this will do for now.

Questions???........................donnie

I looked up Amsoil's page for 1989 Toyota pickup

Automatic Transmission,A340H......AF3
Automatic Transmission,A340E......AF3

are mentioned,

A340H - 4wd

A340E - Rwd

So I have A340E, and per Derek, this has the locking torque conv.

If I keep the OD off and drive, the trans should stay cooler.

JDE/Donnie,

So take out factory cooler and put in an aftermarket cooler? how do you get air out of the lines?

Linda,

in your 22re how is the 4 speed working? any rebuild? how fast can you go in D3?

Question on fluid:

do the trans and power steering both take DexIII?

Thanks,

Mine is the 4 speed automatic. Never been rebuilt even though it had shifting problems when I first got it. I change the tranny fluid every couple of years and never use overdrive and it still runs and shifts fine 11 years later. I can cruise just fine in 3rd at 65 MPH and go 70 if I want to. Of course that would be stupid. Gas mileage plummets at those speeds.

Linda S

I looked up Amsoil's page for 1989 Toyota pickup

If I keep the OD off and drive, the trans should stay cooler.

JDE/Donnie,

So take out factory cooler and put in an aftermarket cooler? how do you get air out of the lines?

Linda,

in your 22re how is the 4 speed working? any rebuild? how fast can you go in D3?

If you want to add a cooler, the usual way to do it is to remove the factory air-cooler and replace it with a bigger aftermarket cooler. Nothing to bleed or purge for air when done. Cooler is in series with the trans oil-pump and it pushes oil thought it - in one end and out the other.

In regard to OD making it run hotter or cooler? "OD" is a combination of two different events. One is the elimination of the torque-coverter by locking-up, and Two is the 5th gear that reduces engine RPMs but also make the engine work harder if under a load. The lock-up pretty much eliminates the heat made from torque-converter slippage, but the 5th gear puts more of a strain on the engine making more heat in the coolant that can travel to the transmission. So it's a toss-up. If your vehicle was geared (rear axle gears) so 5th gear OD ran you down the road without a of strain on the engine, it would be the best and coolest way to go. If all you have is a 4.10 rear, it's probably not enough for steady cruising in 5th OD.

When the A340 first came out - it had three different shift modes. "Power", "normal" and "economy." I have no idea what the HD cab & chassis trucks have for shift modes like you've got. In lighter trucks, "economy" mode resulted in seven shifts (1st, 2nd, 2nd lock-up, 3rd, 3rd lock-up, 4th, 4th lock-up). In "normal" it shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd lock-up, 4th lock-up." In "power" mode., only lock-up in 4th was possible. I assume your RV locks up in 3rd under "light load" but if you work it hard, like climbing a hill, it un-locks and makes heat just like an A43D like my 1988 four-cylinder RV has.

My 1988 with the 22RE engine and A43D trans supposedly has never had a trans rebuild. That according the original owner who I got it from. So if true - it has 125,000 miles on it, towed a very light trailer now and then, and spent much of its life on relatively flat roads of Michigan. I know he used OD now and then. I did not with the original 4.10 to 1 rear axle ratio. It worked it too hard and made trans heat jump up by 20 degrees just about whenever I used it. I now have a 4.56 to 1 rear-axle ratio and now 4th OD feels perfect for cruising, even on moderate inclines.

Back when I had the 4.10 to 1 rear-axle ratio, I drove many times at 70 MPH in 3rd gear with no issues. I met a woman last year who had just bought a 21 foot Dolphin with a 22RE and A43D trans and she had just driven 400 miles on a highway trip with OD turned on and according to her, sustained speeds of 70 MPH.. Whether it was actually in 4th most of the time, or constantly shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th, I don't know. When I was quizzing her, she acted surprised it was even an issue. She just thought you stick it in drive, and let everything happen automatically. Well yeah - that IS why it's called an "automatic" transmission. Not quite a reliable "automatic" control though in these non-electronic transmissions.

Hello All, Derek is correct........I mis spoke in my former post on the V6 trans. The A340 e was introduced in the mid 80's behind the V6..

It is not a bad trans. close relative of the one of which I spoke....The V8 bell housing & the output extension are the major OUTSIDE differences.

There are a lot of inside changes, I'm not sure how much better this unit is......it is a matter of who you ask..LIKE ELECTRONICS????????

There are no governor rings to groove the case as the mechanical gov. has been replaced by electronics...i.e. solenoids, lots of them, one for

pressure control, 2 shift solenoids, a converter clutch solenoid.....bla, bla..........SORRY IF I MISLED ANYONE.

MOST OF WHAT I SAID ABOUT HEAT & CONV. CLUTCH control...still stands......donnie

Not sure where the 5th gear came from Toyota didn't use 5spds. until A350E 2000 some thing. The very first thing that happens when the going gets tough is converter slips that's where the heat comes from I'm not going there with the O/D debate but when the converter slips things get hot, down shifting causes the converter to slip less because of the lower gearing (less stress). The later trans with the lockup helped with converter slip but again when the going got tough the converter unlocked before any thing else so now the converter started slipping and you are back where you started. The electronic one's switch only altered the shift points that in it's self was good because it stayed in lower gears longer. The bottom line O/D use or not a big extra cooler and 30K transmission flush not just drain the 4 qts in the pan replace all of it more like 9 qts and you'll get 150K+ out of it. Personally I use O/D but it is one of the few things I ever owned that was automatic and I drove it more like a stick relying on when I though it should shift.

Hello All, Derek is correct........I mis spoke in my former post on the V6 trans. The A340 e was introduced in the mid 80's behind the V6..

It is not a bad trans. close relative of the one of which I spoke....The V8 bell housing & the output extension are the major OUTSIDE differences.

There are a lot of inside changes, I'm not sure how much better this unit is......it is a matter of who you ask..LIKE ELECTRONICS????????

There are no governor rings to groove the case as the mechanical gov. has been replaced by electronics...i.e. solenoids, lots of them, one for

pressure control, 2 shift solenoids, a converter clutch solenoid.....bla, bla..........SORRY IF I MISLED ANYONE.

MOST OF WHAT I SAID ABOUT HEAT & CONV. CLUTCH control...still stands......donnie

Highly refined the same transmission is in new 4 cylinder Tacoma's

The A340 has been experiencing overdrive planetary failure, something that the A43D never had much problem with....also solenoid issues, broken clutch pistons & leaking accumulator "O" rings......there are update/ improved parts for all of the above.

Perhaps the V6 is a bit much for the overdrive planet.....This dezine is like the 2004R that Generous Motors tried in the 80's Grand National's :-(

And FO MO CO used in the A4LD....in the Bronco ll, starting in 86 also...the 2.8 & 2.9 could take it but the 4.0 lunched the front planet..

The problem with the OD in front is that it shifts 1 2 3 then the OD planet had to drive the complete 3 speed unit.....dismal results with big CID rngines

MANY upgrades later they finally got it right......sort of........then they added solenoids, gave the trans to the ECM...new set of problems

CHRYSLER PUT THE OVERDRIVE IN THE REAR WHERE IT BELONGS & THAT IS ONE GOOD UNIT. the front is basically an old 3 speed well proven easy to work on trans...

Sorry for the ramble, got off topic-----anyway the front planets are crashing more than they should in the 6 cyl & Lexus V8 ...is eating them alive...

They may have the bugs out now as I have not seen any of the newer units...........donnie

Yeah I searched the Toyota campers site and could only find 2 A340 failures out of 7000 members and over a decade of time. Probably more than that but still not what I would call frequent. I think we have a member here with almost a quarter of a million miles on his camper. He did replace his engine recently but I don't think he got a new trannie. I'm sure he would have mentioned it

Linda S

I think it was you who mentioned the A340...........wasn't it????????? Maybe no one is having any problems with their unit, but if ANYONE does ...... & they will !.......................................................I was just throwing out a little info, so if anyone senses a shift concern or noise???????????

YOU CAN REFER THEM TO THIS THREAD..............

I' m on a half dozen trans board's..........may need to post this on the 4x4 forum...SORRY IF I UP SET YOU.............I think a lot of members on here may be running this trans & a little basic info won't hurt..............OK?...............donnie

Linda, you got your post up B4 me, I was directing my point to Derek...........BUT since you are both moderators of this board...If you do not want me to

be here , just tell me.....I can leave........... I will understand....The trans world had been good to me & I am a firm believer in "pass it on"

I am on many forums, & try to pass on what I have learned.........Sometimes I miss speak, or post information that is too tech...or in this case , NOT ASKED FOR.............if that is bothersome to either of you , just tell me.....it is my opinion that Derek likes to 'stir the pot" you, not so much....

At least I have not noticed it....I think I know what is bothering you all, but I am not sure, so I will be quiet....................donnie

I had a v6 camry wagon 1990, it had 110k miles on it and drove it like I stole it (well I did kinda, flew in 1 way to Kansas city, took a limo to work, met my buddy, he gave me the keys, drove straight to wallys for oil change and a new air filter, drove to Michigan with a leaky radiator and no heat, had to add 2 bottles of H20 at Davenport to get heat, never paid the guy for the car till about 6 months later)

Anyway, back on topic, I siphoned out the ol dex III and put in some supertech dex 3, the camry worked fine for another 3 years and 30k more miles.

Fast forward to my Toyo winni,

Mine is a 89 Chasis and it did have a trans failure, I still have the receipts in the dash, not sure what failed. It was fully rebuilt by a pro shop.

So v6 trans do fail.

Anyone know what rpm the A340 locks up? I see a bit of high rpm driving in my future.

Linda, you got your post up B4 me, I was directing my point to Derek...........BUT since you are both moderators of this board...If you do not want me to

be here , just tell me.....I can leave........... I will understand....The trans world had been good to me & I am a firm believer in "pass it on"

I am on many forums, & try to pass on what I have learned.........Sometimes I miss speak, or post information that is too tech...or in this case , NOT ASKED FOR.............if that is bothersome to either of you , just tell me.....it is my opinion that Derek likes to 'stir the pot" you, not so much....

At least I have not noticed it....I think I know what is bothering you all, but I am not sure, so I will be quiet....................Donnie

Donnie, I am here to learn, understand and you sharing your experience is the very essence of a public forum. Keep posting Sir.

I never cared for the 90 camry I had before, it was a through away vehicle so I could get my little one from daycare. So I never took the time to research it.

It the winni, I plan keep it for a long time, I am thinking of making it my daily driver come salmon season :-)

If you want to add a cooler, the usual way to do it is to remove the factory air-cooler and replace it with a bigger aftermarket cooler. Nothing to bleed or purge for air when done. Cooler is in series with the trans oil-pump and it pushes oil thought it - in one end and out the other.

In regard to OD making it run hotter or cooler? "OD" is a combination of two different events. One is the elimination of the torque-coverter by locking-up, and Two is the 5th gear that reduces engine RPMs but also make the engine work harder if under a load. The lock-up pretty much eliminates the heat made from torque-converter slippage, but the 5th gear puts more of a strain on the engine making more heat in the coolant that can travel to the transmission. So it's a toss-up. If your vehicle was geared (rear axle gears) so 5th gear OD ran you down the road without a of strain on the engine, it would be the best and coolest way to go. If all you have is a 4.10 rear, it's probably not enough for steady cruising in 5th OD.

When the A340 first came out - it had three different shift modes. "Power", "normal" and "economy." I have no idea what the HD cab & chassis trucks have for shift modes like you've got. In lighter trucks, "economy" mode resulted in seven shifts (1st, 2nd, 2nd lock-up, 3rd, 3rd lock-up, 4th, 4th lock-up). In "normal" it shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd lock-up, 4th lock-up." In "power" mode., only lock-up in 4th was possible. I assume your RV locks up in 3rd under "light load" but if you work it hard, like climbing a hill, it un-locks and makes heat just like an A43D like my 1988 four-cylinder RV has.

My 1988 with the 22RE engine and A43D trans supposedly has never had a trans rebuild. That according the original owner who I got it from. So if true - it has 125,000 miles on it, towed a very light trailer now and then, and spent much of its life on relatively flat roads of Michigan. I know he used OD now and then. I did not with the original 4.10 to 1 rear axle ratio. It worked it too hard and made trans heat jump up by 20 degrees just about whenever I used it. I now have a 4.56 to 1 rear-axle ratio and now 4th OD feels perfect for cruising, even on moderate inclines.

Back when I had the 4.10 to 1 rear-axle ratio, I drove many times at 70 MPH in 3rd gear with no issues. I met a woman last year who had just bought a 21 foot Dolphin with a 22RE and A43D trans and she had just driven 400 miles on a highway trip with OD turned on and according to her, sustained speeds of 70 MPH.. Whether it was actually in 4th most of the time, or constantly shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th, I don't know. When I was quizzing her, she acted surprised it was even an issue. She just thought you stick it in drive, and let everything happen automatically. Well yeah - that IS why it's called an "automatic" transmission. Not quite a reliable "automatic" control though in these non-electronic transmissions.

Thanks JDE for the details, good to know how ECT works.

Cooler upgrade looks easy enough, I will attempt it if the trans is not under rebuild warranty anymore. If it is, I will take it to the shop.

Derek always cracks me up. Donnie, your allowed to post your thoughts on transmissions and any other technical stuff you want. I just like to let others know that we haven't seen that as a major problem. Not all of us are mechanics you know. That said most of us bought our motorhomes when they were already 20 plus years old. No matter how durable a trannie is, bad care and not changing fluids can kill anything. Things to look out for are always helpful.

Linda S

I think it was you who mentioned the A340...........wasn't it????????? Maybe no one is having any problems with their unit, but if ANYONE does ...... & they will !.......................................................I was just throwing out a little info, so if anyone senses a shift concern or noise???????????

YOU CAN REFER THEM TO THIS THREAD..............

I' m on a half dozen trans board's..........may need to post this on the 4x4 forum...SORRY IF I UP SET YOU.............I think a lot of members on here may be running this trans & a little basic info won't hurt..............OK?...............donnie

If you drive anything no matter what the transmission you will eventually have issues they all will wear out. The Toy Home Trans is a good unit there are very few others out there than could take the abuse they were subjected to. With coolers and oil changes they will last as long as any of the other transmissions out there. Over the years I probably rebuilt several dozen of them they were also used in cars Jeep, Volvo and others all the while our people were kept busy doing hundreds of GM units. A TH200 GM Trans in a toy home would have a life expediency of about a month yet they put them in full sized GM cars. Any transmission asked to do hard work needs some loving care we did many class A and C motor homes and would not warranty the overhaul unless we installed full sized oil coolers it’s part of proper preventive maintenance not a flaw in the design.

GM Trans in a toy home would have a life expediency of about a month yet they put them in full sized GM cars.

You could say the same if you put a GM 700R4 into a Toyota sized RV made from 1982-1986 and used with many 379 cubic inch diesels. A total piece of junk and for years, there was no proven way to fix them and get them to last. There's a Dolphin micro-mini motorhome for sale just down the road from me that I can buy for $800. It's on a 1983 Chevy S10 chassis with a 700R4 trans and 2.8 V6 engine. Main reason why I don't want to deal with it is because of the GM 700R4 trans that is in it. Those transmissions are near impossible to make reliable unless newer then 1986.

I read in several places that Toyota is known to be slow with adopting new technologies until things are proven to be reliable. Maybe that's what they did with the Aisin A43D. Used something proven to be well built. Unlike GM who seems to build new stuff, sell it, and then see what the heck happens. Like the Olds 350 diesel? Or the 700R4 trans? Or the aluminum block Chevy Vega? And I'm sure many more. I guess Ralph Nader would include the first few years of Corvairs.

I remember the first year the TH700R4 came out there were 83 "fixes" from GM sent to ATRA shops. By the time they retired them they worked pretty good. GM put the TH200 in big cars Olds, Caddy etc. It was designed for 4 cylinder European cars called a TH180. GM actually payed us to install TH350's in many cars with failed TH200's because they would only fail again before the warranty ran out. The A43D was not with out problems but by in large they were damn tough for some thing it was never designed to do what it does.

We had to swap out many early 700R4s and put TH400s in their place if 2WD trucks, or TH350s if 4WD trucks. The reason why we didn't put the TH400s in 4WDs was because the splines on the heavy-duty TH400 were different then the light-duty splines on the 700R4 where the trans mated with the transfercase. So if someone wanted a TH400, it required a transfercase swap also. TH350 was considered "light duty" by GM and had the same splines as the 700R4 and later 4L60.

The 700R4 came out in 1982 & yes it was challenge to build & keep them out..Back then we had a 1 year warranty....Unless you offered the ATRA plan.

'82 thru '86 were not good years, 87 was a transition year, they were fooling with ..spacer plate & valve body changes, but '88 thru '92 or '93 depending on the build date......the 700R4 was a good trans & could be built to fit A GM 2.8......The gear train confused a lot of builders that were familiar with the Simpson planetary 2 gear set up...........The 700 is basically a 2 speed , run 1st--overdrive it, you now have 2nd...shift to 3rd then overdrive 3rd

now you have 4th....pretty simple once the 3/4 clutch problems were ironed out.....

On the 200thm....GM needed this trans for their diesels.........as the diesel lacked the vacuum that they needed for the modulator controlled shift points. The 200thm was cable controlled & was GM introduction into stamped out clutch drums & a 1 piece case ...I'll admit it was not heavy enough for their diesel, but that was OK as their diesel was a POS anyway.. Any one recall the cable controlled modulator that we installed on the 200 to 350 conversion so we could eliminate the vacuum control disaster that the General threw on the market...I may still have one, not sure.

You may be surprised to know that there are a lot of HP parts being built now for the 200 & it is fast becoming the racing unit for a lot of HP drag cars.

The unit of racers choice, the Powerglide has gone the way of the DoDo bird & the 200's that we all loved to hate & trashed are now being sought after by builders that don't want to spend the dough for one of Jim B's custom Glide units.....That's ATI in Baltimore for those of you who want to see what they build .........enough of that

I'll admit that most of the A340's that I saw was in Jeeps....I ran off road Land Rovers in pretty rugged terrain back a few years ago & the Jeeps were trashing these units.....My Toy home to Jeep ratio was about 10 to 1....so I am not really qualified to comment on 7,000 motor homes.

Perhaps there are some Jeep owners on here that would like to comment.... that it for now,,,,,on to my SHOUTING comment, I think I'll have a cold one then return.......donnie

I speak fluent automotive drive train, both engine management computer, transmission & converter...I am slack on Desk top computers.

I use CAPS when I an wanting to put special emphasis on something I am posting. I know it is referred to as shouting....

Maybe you can all give me some suggestions..... use this......underline or underline or this ...........or this....or WHAT..??? donnie :innocent:

One internet downside that repeats itself time after time is the lack of facial expressions, body langauge and intonation. This far too many time's causes issues among some of the nicest of people.

In my experience some of the older and more knowledgeable people mechanically have not taken the time to learn the nuances of computers. They often become frustrated and we needlessly lose their knowledge and wisdom.

The use of emoticons would help immensely, however many consider their use as unmacho, immature or childish. :clown2:

Only my unsolicited opinion and worth what you have paid for it. But I truly hate to lose knowledgeable people over misunderstandings.

Jim In an internet cafe in the Philippines

One internet downside that repeats itself time after time is the lack of facial expressions, body language and intonation. This far too many time's causes issues among some of the nicest of people.

In my experience some of the older and more knowledgeable people mechanically have not taken the time to learn the nuances of computers.

I agree 100% that communication via a keyboard with no vis-a-vis contact is problematic. Hard to tell when a person is kidding, serious, angry, or just making a point-of-fact. With that said, I know plenty of "older" people who are very capable of using the modern bells & whistles associated with digital communication e.g. "emoticons." I certainly know how, I just plain don't want to. I for one do not like communicating with cartoon figures. As I see it, it's a two-way street here. There are plenty of "younger" people just as guilty who do not thoroughly read posts of others and react to things that were never said to start with. That sort of behavior baffles me since these are written conversations. No one has to rely on memory as to what was said and what was not said. I know I've been asked to leave this forum several times for alleged "bad" or "rude" behavior, including by a moderator who was more "rude" to me then I've ever been on a public forum.. The plain fact is that humans have successfully communicated in some form of English for over 1000 years without the need of little cartoon figures to express their sentiment. They also managed to do so with small caps or large caps without being accused of being "angry" or "yelling." It just takes more work on BOTH ends of the conversation.

The smart people who created the Internet, the World Wide Web, Hypertext Protocol, etc., &c. are not the same people who came later and created these so-called "Netiquette" rules.

My main point is - there are just as many people who follow all the so-called Netiquette conventions, yet fail to properly read posts of others and cause just as many problems with web communication. That's my take on it. But hey, I'm one of the 'older" people who is more of a technocrat then a diplomat.