Hello, My Sister in law just bought a 1981 Sunrader that has tandem axles and duals. I dont seem to find another like it on the web, It has the 22RE non turbo in it. I am guessing it is quite rare. Is there anything I need to know to help her with maintenance of it regarding the axles or floating axle system? CODYpost-8158-0-40184500-1425908704_thumb.jp

The 22RE came out in 1983, not 1985. In 1985 it was reworked with many changes made. I think 1985 was the first year it was offered in trucks, at least in USA versions.

Never heard of any Sunrader that looks like that. Sunrader's claim to fame was (is) their clamshell-design fiberglass body. Looks more like an E. Z. Ryder tag axle or something close.

Yup that's a Sunrader alright. They made a 5th wheel trailer with that same coach section. Neat her's is a bunk model too. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about maintaining that tandem axle but I've never heard of one failing like the older single axle duallies. Looks to be in super shape.

Linda S

I bet that the tandem axle has torsion springs on it instead of leaf springs. If they are set up properly with the correct spring rate, they work really well.

Is there anything I need to know to help her with maintenance of it regarding the axles or floating axle system?

The Toyota rear axle will have sealed ball bearings that get no outside lube. They last X amount of time then dry out and fail. I'd be sure to check them. The added tag-axle should have adjustable bearing that you can take apart and repack with grease - just like on the front of the truck.

I don't know how to explain it but it looks like each axle has its own set of leaf springs and then there is a big set of leaf springs that both are attached to. I have included a pic of the info from inside the drivers door. Does this provide any info on anything I should be aware of.

post-8158-0-95907900-1425953592_thumb.jppost-8158-0-95907900-1425953592_thumb.jppost-8158-0-95907900-1425953592_thumb.jp

The axle on her Sunrader is probably not a full float. The tag axles were never recalled so no reason to do the conversion. Aren't they lubed from the diff?

Linda S

The OEM Toyota rear axle, (semi-floater) gets no lube from the differential. All it has is one sealed ball-bearing per side, just like many Ford 1/2 ton trucks had of the same vintage. Only way to service it is to pull the axles out, cut off the old bearings, and press on new ones.

I think they gave up on them because of the tire scrub turning can't imagine they handled very well.

Seems they gave up tag axles because there was little net gain and by late 1982, both Toyota and Nissan were talking about installing better rear axles with factory duals. Wayne Mertes, president of Dolphin in 1983, stated that when tag-axles were first installed in micro-minis - they had a rating of 2000 lbs. That's the total rating - i.e. weight of the axle and springs itself plus payload. NOT much. Not long after Dolphin installed tag-axles in micro-minis, the manufacturer of those tag-axles derated them to only 1000 lbs.. The net increase was almost completely gone in added payload capacity. Mertes said that owners of tag-axle micro-minis suffered a "false sense of security" and this led to overloading. By early 1983, both Toyota and Datsun said they were working on equipping their cab & chassis trucks with better rear axles and factory duals. Datsun did it by 1984. As we know, Toyota dragged their feet a bit longer.