Our 21' Sunrader is great but the problem has always been storage. Where do you put the generator, folding camp table, camp chairs,camp mat, extra water, fuel, firewood ? Struggled with this for several seasons and finally got sick of always loading things into the motorhome itself. I didn't want to build a rear storage box because it would never be large enough for starters, and secondly, the rear chassis is not strong enough to support it. My solution was a fiberglas clam shell motorcycle camp trailer. Tows beautifully, has tons of room, and can also double as an extra sleeping berth if need be. Everything I mentioned fits in there.......even a Honda EU3000i generator. In fact, it stays in there and all I do is disconnect the trailer and roll it 25 feet away from the camper, hook up the cord, and fire it up.post-2466-0-44910100-1425570411_thumb.jppost-2466-0-65363500-1425570770_thumb.jppost-2466-0-52889800-1425570726_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-50664900-1425570497_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-09101500-1425570613_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-24590800-1425570670_thumb.jp

I do not know the origins of the trailer. When I acquired it, I stripped it down to the frame, strengthened the frame, widened the axle, and put new rims and rubber on it. Also replaced the fenders etc, etc. We no longer have our Sunrader, so this trailer may be for sale.

You can buy a brand new trailer for $200 from Harbor Freight and then stick a poly cargo box on it for another $100. So $300 and you are all set if that's what you want. Pulling a trailer behind my RV that I could not see would drive me nuts. I like being able to back up and park easy. That's one of the advantages to having a micro RV like something Toyota based. I put a big poly cargo box on my back bumper and it works fine.

post-6578-0-95210700-1425648143_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28449200-1425648145_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-26817600-1425648146_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67088300-1425648368_thumb.jp

I have been thinking of a light tow behind for my Honda fit.

That is a nice fiberglass shell, I think it was a motorbike trailer, they are NOT cheap new.

I was thinking of doing this:

1. get a harbor freight trailer on sale at around $200

2. get a vehicle roof cargo carrier or similar hard cargo box - around $200

Though I've no experience trying it, I'd imaging backing up that combo would be a real challenge. A short trailer you can't see with a large overhang on the RV. I find it hard enough with my 4'x8' flat trailer behind a minivan unless I open the hatch. I suppose a back-up camera would help.

Of course if your situation doesn't require backing up, no problem.

I made a 42"x48" enclosed trailer on a harbor freight type trailer...worked OK, but was horrible to back that small thing up even when you could see it!! They say the shorter a trailer is the harder it is to back up...I believe it!!

I have been thinking of a light tow behind for my Honda fit.

That is a nice fiberglass shell, I think it was a motorbike trailer, they are NOT cheap new.

I was thinking of doing this:

1. get a harbor freight trailer on sale at around $200

2. get a vehicle roof cargo carrier or similar hard cargo box - around $200

There are a lot of those kinds of combo projects on the net. Here is an image collection full of them.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACXvngJks0Hq7IjhQolYTMBRbIDfOKsI0z3yKdSls59wBae_1n8QoHWJRSX8MH4_1NsdY-lD8jtmNFdHfHDSP1tV5V_14SoSCVCiVhMwFFsgERqf8dwnvBcqKhIJN84qwjTPfIoRFUv9lTCztXkqEgl1KWzn3AFp7xGpMNUZp75FzCoSCefxCgdYlFJfETVvArcs6P4CKhIJwwfj82x1j6URmwqDv4KJuV0qEgkPyO2Y0V0d8RG8F2LNOSaC2yoSCcNI_1W1XlX_1hEfgA1AuDT8Ou&q=make%20camping%20trailer%20harbor%20freight&ei=XET6VPObHM30oATWrYLoBQ&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAA&dpr=1.76&biw=1088&bih=509

Whenever I got to a camp site I would simply unhook it and roll it back into place. Much easier than trying to back it up. It was originally a motorcycle trailer and still has the snap in material to turn it into a camper. Bolting a box onto the back of a Toyota motorhome is OK for some stuff, but don't put too much weight in them. There is no way a box could ever come close to holding what this trailer can. The Sunrader was great for several years but time to move on.

Haven't given backing up much thought. I suppose it would be hard in certain situations. As I think about extra storage needs, it makes me smile a little. The fridge and cabinets provide so much more storage than our VW westfalia! We are starting to fill everything up, but it's still easy to throw a couple of folding chairs up on the bunk and go.

Haven't given backing up much thought. I suppose it would be hard in certain situations. As I think about extra storage needs, it makes me smile a little. The fridge and cabinets provide so much more storage than our VW westfalia! We are starting to fill everything up, but it's still easy to throw a couple of folding chairs up on the bunk and go.

what makes it difficult is not have clear sight of the trailer, a back camera will help or tall sticks to show where the trailer is pointing to.

Stuff is ALWAYS equal to 1.5 x storage space

Add a solar panel, there are some lightweight ones. Why not make it useful for more than stowing stuff? Since they are easy to move around unhitched you can take advantage of that factor to position them to optimal advantage. This means you can park the motorhome in the shade and put the trailer in the sun. The battery bank can be in the trailer as well as an extension power cord to take the juice to the motorhome's converter. You would want a protective cover to prevent rock damage to the panels. So my design idea would be to put the solar panel on the underside of a hinged panel. Unless of course you have rock proof solar panels in which case you could charge while you are driving.

http://www.pulmor.com/solar.asp

• 1 year later...

So I know this is an older thread.  But I have questions.  I have an 83 shorty Sunrader (1 ton axle).  I also have storage issues - when I need to go to the track where I need a gennie.  I've been told I shouldn't put a storage platform on the back, as I'd be risking the integrity of the RV.  So... is having a small pull behind trailer (no more than 4x4) be a safer way to go?  The gennie weighs just around 100 pounds with fuel.  I'd also go ahead and put the cooler and chairs on the trailer.  So, no more than 200 pounds on the trailer.

Opinions?

I have an 18 ft Sunrader and I use a hitch carrier often. Use it mostly for my Zodiac and outboard. Boat and motor weigh a little over 100 lbs plus carrier weight and whatever else I can fit on it maybe come to 150 or 175. No problems here. Extension rails on the shorty Sunraders aren't as long as most of the rigs and Sunrader made them very strong. I like the aluminum carrier from Harbor Freight. Cheap lightweight and strong

Linda S