Looking To Buy

MKUltra

I am new to all of this so I'm just learning about the differences between some of these motorhomes, but there are a couple for sale in my area right now and I'm wondering if there's anything I should be looking for/watching out for. One is a 1990 Odyssey Americana, around 50k miles, nice shape, asking $5800. The other says that it's a 1986 Rogue 18 ft "pop top." I've seen the Chinooks with the pop tops but when I try to Google image search these, I'm not getting any pics. It has 137k miles but with one owner for most of its life, well maintained, and only $3000. The smaller size of that one is attractive to me. I understand that the Americana is a little bit bigger than the other 21 ft motorhomes, and I'm trying to go as small as possible, but is it a better value? Are there any major things to check out with either of these models?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not knowledgeable about the different models, but for me, generally mechanical condition and condition of the coach would be where the decision making would start. The size and type of engine and transmission are a consideration too. Different coaches have different levels of build quality, and that may be obvious. The smaller vehicle may be more economical, the larger more livable and useable. Drive them and get a feel for how each handles.

If the truck part is sound, check the coach part out carefully. Basic things to look for would be places the coach has leaked and caused wood rot (if it is wood framed) or water damage. If possible have the seller show you if all the appliances work and how, if the water lines shower, toilet and pump Are leak-free. A good thing to do is locate and inspect the plumbing, electrical and wastewater system underneath before you decide.

Assuming all things with the mechanics and condition of the coach are equal, (which would be rare!) only you can make the decision. It seems to me the odyssey is a really nice little RV, from what I've seen. small is nice too. is the rogue fiberglass? That's a plus.

As you see the layout and condition of each coach, the decision should be easier. There are some members here who would be far more knowledgable about the two units, I'm sure they will have good advice. Good luck!

I am new to all of this so I'm just learning about the differences between some of these motorhomes,

I'm trying to go as small as possible, but is it a better value? Are there any major things to check out with either of these models?

Much depends on what your priorities are. How many people? Gas mileage? Can you put up with low power and highway speeds at 55-60 MPH? Hands-down, a pop-up is going to be the most fuel efficient and likely have the most power due to less wind-resistance. I have NO idea what a "Rogue" is though. Only pop-top mini-truck RVs I know of are the Chinooks from the 70s, Bonanza Bandits 70s-80s, Sandtanas and a few rare Sunraders. I'm wondering if this Rogue is some sort of Sandtana? If so, it's more of a tilt-top that a pop-top. Santana came on Toyota and Chevy S10 trucks.

As far as "value" goes - depends if you mean for resale value, or how much YOU value it as a camper and travel-rig.

post-6578-0-58319500-1424969512_thumb.jp

I'm in San Diego for grad school and am exploring all options for affordable living situations for the duration of the program. It's just me, so I don't need anything huge, but I don't want to be clawing at the walls and claustrophobic either. Kind of glad now that the Chinook I initally wanted to buy didn't work out. Would have been rad to drive, probably not so much to live in. Gas mileage is more important to me than power, and ease of driving and parking is pretty high up there, too, so that plus cost would be the advantages of the Rogue. It's 4 cylinder, automatic, and the Americana is V6, automatic, probably nice to drive, just bigger and more gas consuming. Anybody know what kind of mileage they get? I've heard claims from 12 to 22. My guess would be right in the middle of that.

an americana for $5800 is a steal, especially if its the rear dinette. You could double your money just selling it.

Feel comfortable sharing the link? I have the cash and some free time to visit cali, if only to drive out in an Americana never to return :)

an americana for $5800 is a steal, especially if its the rear dinette. You could double your money just selling it.

Feel comfortable sharing the link? I have the cash and some free time to visit cali, if only to drive out in an Americana never to return :)

I just heard back from this guy, and the mileage on it is actually 180,000. Much higher than I initially thought. I was looking at a bunch of ads so not sure if I mixed it up or if the ad was edited, because I remember thinking the same thing - that with that mileage, maybe I should buy it and see how I like it, and if it's too big, sell it and make a little on it. It seems like the person doesn't know what it is.

I'm in San Diego for grad school and am exploring all options for affordable living situations for the duration of the program. It's just me, so I don't need anything huge, but I don't want to be clawing at the walls and claustrophobic either. Kind of glad now that the Chinook I initally wanted to buy didn't work out. Would have been rad to drive, probably not so much to live in. Gas mileage is more important to me than power, and ease of driving and parking is pretty high up there, too, so that plus cost would be the advantages of the Rogue. It's 4 cylinder, automatic, and the Americana is V6, automatic, probably nice to drive, just bigger and more gas consuming. Anybody know what kind of mileage they get? I've heard claims from 12 to 22. My guess would be right in the middle of that.

I'm still a little confused. You said the Rogue is a pop-top. I didn't know there was such a thing. Xplorer Rogue made a few Toyota micro-RVs but all I know of are hard-tops, full height.

A full-roof-height RV on a Toyota or Dastun chassis is going to average 14-15 MPG if it's running right. A Toyota or Datsun RV with a pop-top will average 17-19 MPG. There are also some pop-tops on Chevy S10s but all I've seen have the 2.8 V6 and get around 16 MPG. If such a version existed with the four-cylinder GM engine, it would do better.

Hi Linda, my understanding of that law is that so far, it applies to vehicles over 50 feet in length. My friend just got a pretty big ticket because his boat was hitched to his truck on the street, and was within 50 feet of an intersection. As far as RVs this size, I'm in Ocean Beach, I see 20 of them a day. People live in them all over the PCH, beach and park parking lots, side streets. There's an 80s Dolphin that 'lives' on my street.

Nope any vehicle designed for camping is verboten. From the city rules. See recreational vehicle. That applies to even VW camper vans

Linda S

It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing upon any public street,
park road or park parking lot, any oversized, non-motorized or recreational
vehicle between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.

Huh, well they're definitely not enforcing it around here! Can't imagine how much worse the actual homelessness would be if they did.

Yeah, if I ever see him 'home,' I'll ask for some input.

I am also quite confused by the claim of a Rogue pop top. I've seen pictures of Rogues and they just kind of look like Dolphins. If the guy ever emails me back I'll see what the deal is.

It's probably a Ranger which does look much like the Sandtana JD posted. Ranger Industries also made a full sized motorhome called the Rogue. They might have put that name on a few of the little ones.

Linda S

It IS a Sandtana. I emailed the seller and he sent me back photos of the RV. Exactly like the photo I posted except this one seems to have a home-made interior.

It's probably a Ranger which does look much like the Sandtana JD posted. Ranger Industries also made a full sized motorhome called the Rogue. They might have put that name on a few of the little ones.

Linda S

Here it is. I wish people who use email would learn to manage and compress photos. These photos were near 50 MB when they were sent to me and crashed my mail program at first.

If this Sandtana was here in Michigan, I'd bought it already.

post-6578-0-44378800-1425044543_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-10111300-1425044545_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-38257600-1425044546_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-51513500-1425044547_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-52376200-1425044548_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69999700-1425044549_thumb.jp

That thing is sweet.

as to camping, there is always wallmart, can wake up get coffee there, even a hair cut. Our wallmart here has at least 5 RVs on any given night. Some of their parking lot lights even have 110 outlets.

In Los angeles county there seems to be VERY few options for "camping" except the 3 or so RV parks. At least as far as I've been able to find. parking in Walmart lot isn't allowed in LA county. I'd love to be proven wrong, I've been trying to find a place to stay so I can be close to my daughter for several years now. I suppose someone with space off street in the back of a house could work, but I've had no luck finding any situation like that.

Ok that's about what I expected. I heard back from him last night, it was a generic reply saying he was going to Joshua Tree for 10 days, would be back March 9th, and would begin showing it in the order people can come. Highest offer takes it. Must be a lot of interest in it. I've already lost out on 2 because of this. I'm checking ads every day and responding immediately but anything I would want, a lot of people want.

In Los angeles county there seems to be VERY few options for "camping" except the 3 or so RV parks. At least as far as I've been able to find. parking in Walmart lot isn't allowed in LA county. I'd love to be proven wrong, I've been trying to find a place to stay so I can be close to my daughter for several years now. I suppose someone with space off street in the back of a house could work, but I've had no luck finding any situation like that.

Ah, but that's if you are vampiring, aka coming uninvited. A simple visit inside walmart (especially, if done while buying supplies) to the assistant manager will give you permission almost always and this is where they may even tell you that you can use the light pole. Otherwise, most heavy on the nanny rules states that are very high on the cost side like ny and ca will in fact have laws against it as you mentioned. These laws are negated if you have permission.

This is the ad for the Americana: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/4901447295.html

Mileage is 180k

Thats a great rig to restore even with the rear bath. at $5800 I would rather get in at 4800 though because obviously the interior needs to be gutted. That being said for $1000 i would have that thing so awesome you wouldn't recognize it.

These laws are negated if you have permission.

There are a number of Walmarts where overnight parking is not allowed. Some because there are municipal by-laws, some because there just isn't enough room in shared parking lots. There's actually a Yahoo Group dedicated to Walmart 'camping'. They maintain a list.

I wouldn't fancy standing in front of a judge saying: "But the night manager said it was OK ...".

There are a number of Walmarts where overnight parking is not allowed. Some because there are municipal by-law, some because there just isn't enough room in shared parking lots. There's actually a Yahoo Group dedicated to Walmart 'camping'. They maintain a list.

I wouldn't fancy standing in front of a judge saying: "But the night manager said it was OK ...".

Yes but in america, walmart has the ability to actually own their land.. Get their permission and it doesn't matter what the judge says. The laws are for trespassers not permissioned guests.

Walmart corporate has lists of all the no RV parking Walmart's by state nationwide. I don't think a local manager would be able to ignore corporate rules. In California 143 Walmart's are on that list. I'm betting that's all of them. Central valley used to be OK but apparently not anymore.

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts/

Linda S

Say what you want to, but if a corp officer grants you permission you can be there. Kalifornia by laws if you mean "Zoning Laws" may impact that but I doubt all counties march lockstep even in Kalifornia. Maybe they do though. In any event if you dont or cant get permission I agree. But remember I stated get permission..Zoning laws are always county based. No wally worlds allowing camping? find one that does or better yet a state that believes in less restrictions...