To: Totem. Re: Generator Info

zero

Warning !! To any "sensitive" people who want strict controls on discussion here - please take note. This post regards an electric generator and has absolutely NOTHING that is specific to any motorhome sitting on top of a Toyota truck-chassis. So for you "faint of heart" - please be warned and do NOT read if you find such material offensive, or just plain boring.

Totem - you asked about the "Eco-mode" wiring and if it can be hooked up on your Harbor Freight-branded generator. I have no idea if it can be made to work but there are two empty, unused terminals on your circuit board that are there for that purpose. Units with a load-sensitive throttle use a small electric motor/servo to rev up the motor when load demands. I don't know what your specific unit has.

Both my ETQ generators have "Eco-mode" but it never worked on my ETQ1800i. I flip that switch either way, the unit works just the same. Since it works well otherwise, I never took it apart to see if maybe a wire-harness is unhooked.

In regard to our very "controversial" conversation RE these generators . . I don't see see it like you do. I.e., not an issue of who's "right' and who's "wrong." I never claimed that the HF 2500i is the exact same unit at the Seeyes, Buffalo, or ETQ 2500i. I said they are basically the same and the HF unit appears to be cheapened a little.

Here are the two wiring diagams, side by side. Note the the two unused terminals on the HF board (R and BL).

post-6578-0-57628700-1421949048_thumb.jp

Actually I am looking to defeat ECO mode. I want to turn it OFF, to DISABLE it. Reason being, right now I have to rev up the idle on the thing to get it to kick the AC then down throttle when very hot out.

My cousins Honda (and I know this will make some people laugh) when in Eco mode wouldnt start the AC at all. But... he had a switch "Eco Off" that just bypassed Eco mode, when he flipped that switch his Honda could start the generator. As soon as he would click it back to Eco it would overload.

The HF unit... it will start and run the AC but as mentioned, requires me to manually fake the Eco into revving preemptively to anticipate the oncoming load.

• 6 months later...

I am reviving this thread for a question to JDE, I opened my generator in the spring this year and couldn't find the board mentioned in JDE's schematic; that is to say the board is not located behind the outlet panel.

I am wanting to install a switch to disable econ mode for easier AC starting. Is the board you gave me the schematic to in the guts of the generator?

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2015 at 11:48 AM, Totem said:

I am reviving this thread for a question to JDE, I opened my generator in the spring this year and couldn't find the board mentioned in JDE's schematic; that is to say the board is not located behind the outlet panel.

I am wanting to install a switch to disable econ mode for easier AC starting. Is the board you gave me the schematic to in the guts of the generator?

So did you ever get this figured out? Will your HF gen start your a/c now?

Yep. I got a new AC instead of the rediculous 13000 btu one that no normal human would need in a space that small i got an energy efficient one and sold old on ebay. My predator invertor runs the 11,000 AND a pizazz pizza machine in tandem now

Bet my Honda 2000i would run you new AC LOL!

after analysis with kill a watt I am wondering if possibly the lunchbox generators could run my new one. Imagine that...an $88 dollar generator that does what your honda can albeit louder and for 10 x cheaper. :)