Turned Flip Sofa Into Lounger, New Upholstery Fabric

I never liked the fabric on sofa and dinette, and sofa was too narrow to sit sideways (only 18" wide) and was not comfortable as a sofa. I took the sofa out, framed the walls to support plywood, new foam and new fabric (now 29" wide). Also did the dinette seats with new foam and fabric color more to my liking. Dinette seat foam was so soft it flattened down to nothing! Used new high density foam with ILD of 50 for dinette and ILD of 36 for lounger.

post-4473-0-32730500-1421080556_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-23092300-1421080634_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-42423500-1421080659_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-94950200-1421080709_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-59271900-1421080883_thumb.jp

that looks really great cause yeah it's too narrow for sitting sideways, ours also suffers from having the back straight up & down , not at an angle . A question: do the bolsters & your lounge seatback transform into a "normal" configuration?I mean can you easily reconstitute the couch back?

We did a similar thing to our sofa. The flip down back made for an uncomfortable bed anyway. Plus, with the sofa open into a bed, it was very difficult to walk through to the bathroom. My wife sleeps there and I sleep in the cab-over bed (I snore like a freight train, and in that tiny bed with me we were both losing sleep.) Having the sofa bed folded open every night made for very tight quarters.

We removed the back of the sofa, then made two large bolsters so the sofa can still be used as a sofa. We put straps on the bolsters so they can be hung up out of the way on hooks above the sofa at night, underneath the cabinets there, and the sofa can be used as a bed. I also built a very narrow (4 inch deep) lidded compartment across the back of the sofa, coming up to just below the window. It didn't take up any of the seat space or sleeping space of the sofa bottom because it fits right into the space between the sofa bottom and the wall. But it supports the bolsters and keeps you from leaning into the window when you sit there. The compartment gives us extra storage space for lots of odd items like shoes, books, maps, etc. By removing the flip down sofa back, and the heavy cast iron mechanism it was attached to, we got rid of some extra weight too.

The bed is more comfortable, the sofa more versatile, and we have plenty of room to walk around during the night.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I removed a flip sofa from a friends Nova Star. I carried it out and into the house so we could remove the old fabric by myself. Rule of thumb is, if little old lady is carrying it around it ain't that heavy. If you don't like it of course get rid of it but your motorhome is not going to know the difference

Linda S